Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Siren

Wow! The new Frozen ride looks so amazing -- it's beautiful. This is such a huge improvement over those gosh awful looking dated trolls and random ill fitting oil rig scene. The Norway Pavilion will be the most popular attraction in Epcot -- this is great news for Norway. Can't wait for 2016!

11bj8lz.jpg

And, Disney -- please don't manipulate or mess this up with FP+ only, it will be a PR disaster.

AEfx

And, Disney -- please don't manipulate or mess this up with FP+ only, it will be a PR disaster.

That's the problem...because of the low capacity of that ride, it's tough to see how they aren't going to do something extreme like that to companesate. Even folks that are just fine with it going in are concerned about this - I know I am.

Siren

That's the problem...because of the low capacity of that ride, it's tough to see how they aren't going to do something extreme like that to companesate. Even folks that are just fine with it going in are concerned about this - I know I am.
FP+ only is such a poor, menial concept -- one can only hope that Disney has abandoned this offensive line of thinking altogether. There are no circumstances in the parks that could ever justify or warrant the necessity of FP+ only.

The Frozen ride is going to be super popular, so long lines are expected. I would like to think that Disney has found a way to increase capacity with a larger fleet boats and/or bigger boats that can hold more people. So, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

For some reason I just can't imagine the lines being longer than Toy Story Mania. Anyway, if people really want to ride it, they'll book FP+, arrive at rope drop, or just wait in line.

And a disaster for the park. Unless you're a bean counter after your next career move.

Tokyo know now to do it right.
Obviously, I'm going to disagree with you on that. I understand that you don't like how Frozen is replacing Maelstrom, but that doesn't make it a disaster.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...e-name-of-epcot's-reworked-maelstrom-ride.htm
  • The setting for 'Frozen Ever After' is the winter festival that takes place in summer in Arendelle.
  • The queue line will include a trip through Wandering Oaken's Trading Post.
  • Olaf and Sven appear near the beginning of the ride.
  • Troll Valley is where Grandpappy Troll tells a story of how Anna and Kristoff met before moving up the lift hill along to find Olaf.
  • The big show scene is Elsa, on a balcony, singing 'Let it Go.'
  • Marshmallow, from the short 'Frozen Fever' makes an appearance.
  • The final scene features a firework celebration with a wave from Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Sven and Kristof.
  • Ride time is around 4 minutes.
The ride makes use of audio-animatronics and builds on the success of those introduced in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Rear projection technology is combined with fluid moving animatronic figures to deliver extremely expressive facial features.

Now, that Disney has presented us with a beautiful rendering of what the Frozen ride will look like and a brief description that further entails what the ride will consist of -- we can all take a deep breath and start to get excited about this.

More than likely, some of those complaining the most about this will be among the first in line, so they can complain some more -- even, if they really like the ride. So, why not just give the Frozen ride a fair chance?

There are so many hard working imagineers and other people who are dedicated and working around the clock to bring us this new, worthwhile experience. We really owe it to ourselves to embrace something different, otherwise, you just rob yourself of happiness. The frozen ride, like anything else in life, is what you make of it!

Last edited:

Siren

yep, and I wouldnt say great news either for Norway, but they are stuck with it.
I totally disagree -- all the other countries in Epcot would love to get *stuck* with the attention, care and investment that Norway is now receiving. The Frozen ride will transform Norway into the most popular pavilion and most sought after destination in Epcot. Subsequently, the other countries stand to benefit as well, from all of the additional foot traffic.

ToTBellHop

I totally disagree -- all the other countries in Epcot would love to get *stuck* with the attention, care and investment that Norway is now receiving. The Frozen ride will transform Norway into the most popular pavilion and most sought after destination in Epcot. Subsequently, the other countries stand to benefit as well, from all of the additional foot traffic.
Would they? Because the actual Norwegians working in the pavilion have voiced displeasure in the removal of any cultural exhibition in the marquis attraction of their permanent World's Fair exhibit.

Siren

I will be avoiding the land of Norway completely when this is done. It will be a mess.
Disney has secured an additional plot of land to expand the Norway pavilion -- everything has been carefully redesigned to make efficient use of space, in accommodating a substantial number of park visitors. So, we can reasonably expect an enhancement of flow and increased fluidity of movement where crowds and foot traffic are concerned. The other pavilions were not designed with these considerations, in mind.

odmichael

Disney has secured an additional plot of land to expand the Norway pavilion -- everything has been carefully redesigned to make efficient use of space, in accommodating a substantial number of park visitors. So, we can reasonably expect an enhancement of flow and increased fluidity of movement where crowds and foot traffic are concerned. The other pavilions were not designed with these considerations, in mind.
I admire your optimism. But wait until you see the line for Frozen down in China and then we can have this conversation ;)

Fox&Hound

Well, I hate to break the news to people, but I'm sure this is just the beginning. I have no insider information, but would not be shocked to see more countries having more IP's and film characters added to them. Ratatouille, Tangled, etc. I think Disney realizes that MK is overcrowded, not every animated hit can fit in Fantasyland, and this is a way to revitalize interest in Epcot. The majority of people want to see Disney characters when they go to the parks and most won't blink an eye at the inclusion of Frozen in Norway. Sure, some will scratch their heads, but as long as they can eat the food of various cultures, grab a drink, and look at the architecture of different countries, then I think people will be happy. I fully expect for Epcot to look a lot more like MK in the coming decade. I think HS will focus on more live action properties with Star Wars, but even there people say we may get Cars or Toy Story. Seems like AK is the park that will be the most set apart as it relates to realism or non-animated characters infused on rides (but then again there is Avatar).
Frozen is extremely popular and as a business, I understand why it's coming to Epcot and not MK. I think people are mad at what it is doing to change the culture or message of Epcot. But, in 15-20 years when it sits alongside other animated favorites, I don't think it will stand out at all. Some will bemoan the loss of education. Many will remember fondly the Epcot of old. But, MK has changed. Hollywood Studios is getting a major change and people will one day say "remember when it was a working studio that focused on movies?" My one negative that as all of the parks become very similar in theme and content you lose the uniqueness of each park. But, I'll leave that problem to Disney. Personally, I'm excited for the change even if it means that the park changes what it once was to become something different. I'd rather ride something fresh and unique than ride Malestrom for the one millionth time wondering when on Earth it will get an update. Could it be an update that just re-imagines Norway. Yeah, it could. But, that's not what we're getting. Personally, I'm looking forward to this new addition. Do wish it was a longer ride though, but, overall, I will remain optimistic about the direction of Epcot.

Siren

Would they? Because the actual Norwegians working in the pavilion have voiced displeasure in the removal of any cultural exhibition in the marquis attraction of their permanent World's Fair exhibit.
During the initial stages of the creative process in designing the Norway Pavilion -- Disney and Norway did not see eye to eye on how Norway should be presented.

Disney wanted to showcase the mythological folklore of Norway by way of the trolls and only the trolls -- much to the disdain of the Norwegian officials, who felt strongly that trolls did not effectively reflect the spirit of Norway in a modern and flattering way.

So, Norwegian officials demanded that Disney added the oil rigs, boat, and village scene at the end. Disney begrudgingly agreed to add that scene, and that is why it has always felt forced and out of place.

The country of Norway withdrew sponsorship of the pavilion, leaving Disney to foot the entire bill. Frozen comes along and people are waiting upwards of seven hours to see Anna and Elsa. Norway has experienced a huge boost in tourism as a result of Frozen. In a few months, Frozen has brought in more people and sparked more interest in Norway, than Maelstrom had in almost thirty years.

It is still the Norway Pavilion and the Stave Church and village will still be there.

lebeau

The country of Norway withdrew sponsorship of the pavilion, leaving Disney to foot the entire bill. Frozen comes along and people are waiting upwards of seven hours to see Anna and Elsa. Norway has experienced a huge boost in tourism as a result of Frozen. In a few months, Frozen has brought in more people and sparked more interest in Norway, than Maelstrom had in almost thirty years.

Why would a Frozen attraction boost tourism to Norway? Has world Showcase ever provided a boost to tourism for any country? Isn't that why Disney has historically had trouble finding countries to sponsor pavilions? They promised to boost tourism initially and never delivered.

But even if Epcot has at some point provided a boost to tourism, I can't imagine anyone riding a Frozen ride and thinking "We should book a trip to Norway."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom