Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's interesting to note that the Whiting Turner permit for this project doesn't have an explicit expiration date which means it expires one year from the filing date which was 9/16. Since Disney has said the ride would open early 2016, this leads me to believe the Whiting will do the major re-configuration of the ride and then Imaginnering will take over to do the details. Since there is no expiration I would guess Whiting's part will be relatively short which would me to believe that there will be no ride system change. Of course none of this is for sure, but it's one way to interpret the information that we currently have.

Mr Anderson

It's interesting to note that the Whiting Turner permit for this project doesn't have an explicit expiration date which means it expires one year from the filing date which was 9/16. Since Disney has said the ride would open early 2016, this leads me to believe the Whiting will do the major re-configuration of the ride and then Imaginnering will take over to do the details. Since there is no expiration I would guess Whiting's part will be relatively short which would me to believe that there will be no ride system change. Of course none of this is for sure, but it's one way to interpret the information that we currently have.
In that case, maybe someone should start selling HD recordings of the Maelstrom audiotrack so those of us who will miss it can just ride the new overlay, wear headphones, close our eyes, and imagine we're back on Maelstrom...

:D

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's very likely they will alter the queue, probably using space from the Norway film at the end of the ride.

I saw a post on that a while back.. I'll bet that still won't be enough though o_o

They need to extend it to the length of Space Mountain's queue probably.. Keep all those frozen fans in line all day so the rest of the park can be mine. :p

Mike S

In that case, maybe someone should start selling HD recordings of the Maelstrom audiotrack so those of us who will miss it can just ride the new overlay, wear headphones, close our eyes, and imagine we're back on Maelstrom...

:D
Beat you by 102 pages ;) and yes someone should definitely get the Maelstrom audio recorded in high quality. I would get it for sure.
I will be riding. With my eyes closed, noise canceling headphones on/in my ears and the full ride audio of Maelstrom playing on the iPhone in my pocket :happy:

Mr Anderson

Beat you by 102 pages ;) and yes someone should definitely get the Maelstrom audio recorded in high quality. I would get it for sure.
I would definitely buy, for sure. I already have the limited edition t-shirt.
97465-Did-we-just-become-best-friend-5BZD.gif

BrerJon

That being said, according to Lee AND marni1971, WDI did know about Avatar well before it was publicly announced. How many in WDI was never confirmed I believe, Lee/Martin/whoever can confirm any further info they have about just how secretive this was.

There's no way Cameron would have signed off with just verbal suggestions, so there would have to have been concept art and things pitched to him to get the deal off the ground in the first place. Even if all of Imagineering wasn't aware of Avatar, a small group working on the pitch would have had to be.

BTW, nice post from Martin in that link above, especially about nailing Potter 2.0 AND at least another Universal E ticket (Kong) getting done well before Avatar.

I think Transformers can count as another E-ticket done before Avatar. If Kong comes along then that's two.

Somebody at Universal has clearly read The Innovators Dilemma. They realised people were looking around for a 'Potter swatter', so they built one themselves in the form of Diagon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's no way Cameron would have signed off with just verbal suggestions, so there would have to have been concept art and things pitched to him to get the deal off the ground in the first place.

It was a licensing deal - they didn't agree on attractions at the time of the intiql agreement. It was a deal to collob on the avatar ip for theme park attractions.

NearTheEars

Still anxiously waiting to find out how a boat travels through a frozen landscape.

RIP Maelstrom.

PhotoDave219

how would you scientifically explain away the one eyed tree witch troll
and polar bears are routinely exposed to boats passing by IMO

Easy.

Trolls are numerous, especially those that live under bridges. You've seen "monty python and the holy grail?" Simple, first you devise a system of government by a watery tart throwing you a sword, second, taunt the french - very important there - fifth, beware of killer bunnies, and lastly, find the troll guarding the bridge. Answer his riddles or be thrown backwards.

As for Polar Bears? Guests are tasty. Very salty tho. And Fatty. This explains the Polar Bear health epidemic of 2007. Ever see a NatGeo documentary where they try to give CPR to a bear? Its not pretty, because either they fair or the bear wakes up and suddenly eats the caregiver.

mm121

does anyone have any info on whos paying for this makeover? Disney would seem the most logical.

I just recall seeing an article awhile back about norway discussing funding for the pavillion, obviously that didnt happen though or this wouldn't be happening.

does this mean that from now on norway has basically backed out of its own pavillion?

NearTheEars

Science! Salt water has a much lower freezing point then fresh water.

Remember Titanic? How those people went into sub-freezing waters? Some of items frozen but the entire Atlantic wasn't.
Flowing water can be below freezing and still not turn to ice if it's moving fast enough.

I know. I just have the scenes at the end of the film with the frozen bay with ships stuck in my head. Were there any rivers even in the film?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom