Disney Conditioning

KCheatle

When I was a highschool volleyball player, every August we had to endure 3 weeks of 2-a-day workouts called "conditioning" to get us in shape for the season. Well...fastfoward [an undisclosed number of years] later and now my family has to do Disney Conditioning! For my husband and children, it is just part 1: watch a Disney movie at least once a week (usually Friday night) to get ourselves re-familiarized with the characters we'll be meeting, riding on their rides, seeing their shows, etc. The second part of condition is mostly for me, because my kids and husband are already in great shape from running around non-stop and my husband is an avid-golfer and is used to walking hours on end. For me, though, I sit at a desk M-F 8:30-5pm, so needless to say, I've got some catching up to do. I have 163 days until my vacay and I've got a goal list that should get me to where I want to be by the time we go!

Do you do "conditioning" to get prepared for Disney?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I walk my lab twice a day, 3-5 miles total depending on the weather. My legs and feet are very use to walking.
I wear the same Reebok slip on white gym shoes to Disney, just a brand new pair. All my flat shoes have the $6 Dr Scholl inserts, the ones from heal to ball of foot. They lend a bit more support for feet and arches.
I've never had a blister walking the dog or walking Disney.

Walking the Pup has me conditioned for exactly what I do at Disney, a lot of walking.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Start walking. And standing up. Alot. At WDW you are on your feet standing for half the day easily, and can end up walking 5-10 miles without knowing it. I recommend doing this pre walk/stand in whatever shoes you will be bringing with you to the parks. Not a similar style or pair, the same exact pair. The more you can do the better. Start off slow, and just keep adding on slowly.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I too have begun to work towards this as winter takes its toll (and the years). I have begun to dance again and lots and lots of stretching. Hoping to start walking again with the snow almost gone. It is so much more enjoyable to be in shape for walking when doing a trip to WDW. Plus, you look better in your photos too! We have 167 days to arrival to accomplish this goal.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yes... get those walking shoes broken in well. Bring moleskin and blister pads just in case too. Even though your DH golfs, dont let him avoid getting prepared. A day at Disney puts a golf game to shame. And kids too don't walk/run as much in a day as you think they do. Get together and work up a family workout. it's amazing how the miles add up on WDW property. Then theres the standing time..:mad: tough on the feet & knees.

Upvote 0

DisneyDude10

Me and the lady just got done walking!! It has been a tradition every year since we started going in 2010. We walk the dogs, talk about our trip, talk about work, life, etc. Some friends have decided to take the trip with us this year and walking is one of the things we suggested for them to do to gear up for the trip. It is not only a must for us but a tradition.

Upvote 0

Aurora1

Lots of walking! I teach, so I make sure I do a few extra "laps" to the office during the day to get myself ready to walk a while! I also make sure to try and get out in the sun a few days before I go so my skin doesn't get "shell shocked" by how much sun I get when I'm down there. It usually gets me used to the heat & knowing when my skin starts to feel like it's burning!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Agreed- lots of walking. In fact, I know I'm just under 6 mos out, but I just bought my new sneakers for the trip so I can have them broken in come trip time. If it's a warm weather trip, I also make sure I do some of my walking in the peak temps and sun. Thankfully, our summers are also very hot and often humid so it's pretty easy to prep for that aspect here.

Upvote 0

Spikerdink

The joke among my friends is that I run a Disney training boot camp to get everyone ready for the trip. Last year when 4 newbies joined the fun I told them 4 months in advance they needed to be prepared for extensive walking. One began a walking program and another started getting up early with a different friend and they exercised together. One friend didn't do anything different and insisted that she would be able to keep up. [Quick note - she couldn't and didn't].

There is a boardwalk on the beach nearby that soon I will start walking. It is 3/4 mile end to end. At my peak, I was doing 6 miles before quitting for the night. For Christmas my friend bought me a Fitbit to keep track of my walking. (it's really cool - it monitors my steps, how many flights of stairs I climbed, how many calories I burned and it logs it on the internet for me. My friends also have one and we have little competitions to see how many steps we can take during the day.]

Now that we are six months out, I need to get everyone working out to prepare for the excursion.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Agreed- lots of walking. In fact, I know I'm just under 6 mos out, but I just bought my new sneakers for the trip so I can have them broken in come trip time. If it's a warm weather trip, I also make sure I do some of my walking in the peak temps and sun. Thankfully, our summers are also very hot and often humid so it's pretty easy to prep for that aspect here.

Oh- I'd also like to note that I found out the other day that my new sneakers also glow in the dark. Oh yea- mom has herself some light up shoes. So I am all ready to let my feet glow in the parks after I'm done conditioning with them at home! :D

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Oh- I'd also like to note that I found out the other day that my new sneakers also glow in the dark. Oh yea- mom has herself some light up shoes. So I am all ready to let my feet glow in the parks after I'm done conditioning with them at home! :D
One of my dogs used to bark at my sons feet when he moved and the lights on his sneakers were activated. He would also jump at a flashlight beam if you pointed it at the floor. He also would jump at a reflection off of a CD or DVD if the sunlight happened to glint off it just right. It was a riot to watch him.

Upvote 0

PUSH

I have no problem doing almost nothing and then go walk at Disney for a week. Then again I'm younger than most people around here it seems.

Speaking of age and walking, I just watched a YouTube video of 90 year old men running a 100m dash. It made me smile. :)

Upvote 0

mrdisman

must be nice...

God bless them, they gave their all...and not bad for ninety

I have no problem doing almost nothing and then go walk at Disney for a week. Then again I'm younger than most people around here it seems.

Speaking of age and walking, I just watched a YouTube video of 90 year old men running a 100m dash. It made me smile. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom