Disney Conditioning

KCheatle

When I was a highschool volleyball player, every August we had to endure 3 weeks of 2-a-day workouts called "conditioning" to get us in shape for the season. Well...fastfoward [an undisclosed number of years] later and now my family has to do Disney Conditioning! For my husband and children, it is just part 1: watch a Disney movie at least once a week (usually Friday night) to get ourselves re-familiarized with the characters we'll be meeting, riding on their rides, seeing their shows, etc. The second part of condition is mostly for me, because my kids and husband are already in great shape from running around non-stop and my husband is an avid-golfer and is used to walking hours on end. For me, though, I sit at a desk M-F 8:30-5pm, so needless to say, I've got some catching up to do. I have 163 days until my vacay and I've got a goal list that should get me to where I want to be by the time we go!

Do you do "conditioning" to get prepared for Disney?

Todd L

I was in decent shape most of my life and never had a problem when we travelled. My position at work changed. A few years back and I spend most of my day at a desk.

I felt it on last years trip..achy, knees and hips, feet were sore.

I started running, biking and eating a little better to improve my health and hope I feel the difference on this years trip!!

Upvote 0

mrdisman

I like that signature

I was in decent shape most of my life and never had a problem when we travelled. My position at work changed. A few years back and I spend most of my day at a desk.

I felt it on last years trip..achy, knees and hips, feet were sore.

I started running, biking and eating a little better to improve my health and hope I feel the difference on this years trip!!

Upvote 0

KCheatle

Original Poster
You guys are giving my some really great ideas!! Also...I jokingly said to my husband this morning that we only have 165 days to go so he'd better start getting in shape and I was suprised to hear his reaction! He agreed! Albeit, he clarified that it was not just for Disney-purposes, but more for his overall health. Regardless, for a guy who has never been into "fitness", I was shocked! He's considering jumping on my bandwagon and joining Kosama!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I have no problem doing almost nothing and then go walk at Disney for a week. Then again I'm younger than most people around here it seems.

Speaking of age and walking, I just watched a YouTube video of 90 year old men running a 100m dash. It made me smile. :)

Fantastic... I still have hope to one day do a Disney marathon!!:D

Upvote 0

acrab3t

For our 2011 trip we stocked up on trader pins, watched lots of classic Disney films and did a 100 day paper chain count down for our son. Each day had a fun fact about the different parks. We have a "Disney box" that we would add bits and pieces too (stickers, ponchos, tums etc). Basically stuff we might need. We also went on family walks to get used to walking. We wore our old broken in sneakers. We realy got ourselves excited about the trip. For our last trip in 01/13, we didn't do anything special. We didn't have the same anticipation and counting the days. It just kind of krept up on us and I felt unprepared. I did break in a new pair of walking shoes that ended up being fantastic! No blisters, no tired feet. My DH on the other hand wore new sneakers he didn't break in. He ended up feeling miserable for most of the trip. Blisters and pain. He desperatley searched for insoles in every Disney gift shop and found nothing. We had no car so we couldn't leave the property (we should of taken a cab). We did find moleskin which helped. I had suggested doing our evening walks before the trip but he declined. Next time I am sure he will listen to me.;)

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Walk as often and as far as you can go!
I actually start building up my leg muscles a few months before our trip. We have a gym home (which I faithfully dust once a week) and I do what I can yet, still have bouts of *OMG did I really walk that much* while at Disney. I will say, my legs are terrific when we return home!! LOL Do stretches (just heard this from chiro today) lunges, leisure walks. Its always nice to tone a bit before. That Epcot ramp death walk alone scares me every year!!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

I actually start building up my leg muscles a few months before our trip. We have a gym home (which I faithfully dust once a week) and I do what I can yet, still have bouts of *OMG did I really walk that much* while at Disney. I will say, my legs are terrific when we return home!! LOL Do stretches (just heard this from chiro today) lunges, leisure walks. Its always nice to tone a bit before. That Epcot ramp death walk alone scares me every year!!
Some of us run it! You can do it just believe!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom