News Disney College Program begins again

Lilofan

Think Oliver Sacks GIF by Kino Lorber

CHEAP LABOR IS BACK!
That CP housing is just sitting there waiting to be rented.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A certain group of guests that don’t believe in masks, or the pandemic, voted for Trump, reek of white privilege, I could go on.

Not sure why you refuse to believe any of this.
I’ll definitely pay more mind to these instances.

and I didn’t say I didn’t believe it...I think that may not be as widespread as you may believe.
Though to be fair...nothing stops a mager from Maggie’...

anyway...I’m well aware of bad/privileged behavior...people act nuts there. On the whole...usually they’re outliers on the whole.

mm52200

I’ll definitely pay more mind to these instances.

and I didn’t say I didn’t believe it...I think that may not be as widespread as you may believe.
Though to be fair...nothing stops a mager from Maggie’...

anyway...I’m well aware of bad/privileged behavior...people act nuts there. On the whole...usually they’re outliers on the whole.
Well I’ll be certain to tell all of the CMs that regularly tell me these stories almost daily that apparently they aren’t happening to them.

sullyinMT

It was brought up that Disney may be trying to get ahead of other businesses to recruit these young adults for the seasonal hires, but how much was their hand forced?

It’s great news that this popular program is returning as soon as it is, don’t get me wrong. I just wonder if they wouldn’t have preferred to wait a little longer. Delta has openly admitted they unblocked middle seats sooner than expected because they couldn’t recall flight crews fast enough to meet demand.

TransportationGuy

another is that TWDC has become so dependent on disposal, subsidized labor that they can no longer function without the college program?
Orlando has had a labor compensation problem for years and Disney has relied on people who moved to Central Florida to work specifically for Disney and their relatively low wages. When the COVID layoffs/furloughs hit, a number of people that hadn’t ever considered leaving the company were forced to find other employment - often better paid, within the industry they went to school for, and/or closer to “home.” At this point, my understanding is that every employee in QSFB, attractions, guest relations, transportation, and custodial have all been offered the chance to return. This clearly has left Disney in a tight spot where they need people now and are concerned they won’t find enough interested parties locally. Visit Orlando released their annual travel statistics yesterday and reported that 35 million visitors still came in 2020 despite it being the peak of the COVID crisis. Now, it’s a tourism based economy that’s roaring back to life like few other places in the country.

The Orlando labor market has gotten real exciting real fast. Even restaurants are offering sign on bonuses to new employees and posting signs on the front door to let you know they’re severely short staffed. Nearly every window through the tourism district has a now hiring sign in the window. While Disney has a strong affinity to cheap labor, DCP may be seen as their only way to get to the staffing levels they need in a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Orlando has had a labor compensation problem for years and Disney has relied on people who moved to Central Florida to work specifically for Disney as their relatively low wages. When the COVID layoffs/furloughs hit, a number of people that hadn’t ever considered leaving the company were forced to find other employment - often better paid, within the industry they went to school for, and/or closer to “home.” At this point, my understanding is that every employee in QSFB, attractions, guest relations, transportation, and custodial have all been offered the chance to return. This clearly has left Disney in a tight spot where they need people now and are concerned they won’t find enough interested parties locally. Visit Orlando released their annual travel statistics yesterday and reported that 35 million visitors still came in 2020 despite it being the peak of the COVID crisis. Now, it’s a tourism based economy that’s roaring back to life like few other places in the country.

The Orlando labor market has gotten real exciting real fast. Even restaurants are offering sign on bonuses to new employees and posting signs on the front door to let you know they’re severely short staffed. Nearly every window through the tourism district has a now hiring sign in the window. While Disney has a strong affinity to cheap labor, DCP may be seen as their only way to get to the staffing levels they need in a reasonable timeframe.
Good stuff.

they’ve actually had labor resource problems all the way back to phase 4...the problem with a mandated, massive minimum wage workforce.

increasing the levels of vista way gadelics is a no brainer. It’s no strings attached.

but as you have said...what do you do now?
Orlando thinks it’s avoided a travel recession ...that remains to be seen. But if the bump lasts...they have issues.

this is also what makes any fifth gate discussion irrelevant

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Orlando has had a labor compensation problem for years and Disney has relied on people who moved to Central Florida to work specifically for Disney as their relatively low wages. When the COVID layoffs/furloughs hit, a number of people that hadn’t ever considered leaving the company were forced to find other employment - often better paid, within the industry they went to school for, and/or closer to “home.” At this point, my understanding is that every employee in QSFB, attractions, guest relations, transportation, and custodial have all been offered the chance to return. This clearly has left Disney in a tight spot where they need people now and are concerned they won’t find enough interested parties locally. Visit Orlando released their annual travel statistics yesterday and reported that 35 million visitors still came in 2020 despite it being the peak of the COVID crisis. Now, it’s a tourism based economy that’s roaring back to life like few other places in the country.

I think that is a great summary of the situation.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This is great news. As a former College Programer, the CP really adds such a different level of Magic to the parks for me. It's such a life changing journey, and I'm so happy to hear that it's picking back up. Good luck to all those who apply, you have no idea what you're in for, but get ready for an incredible journey.
Life changing is one way to put it...

castlecake2.0

ill pay closer attention to that...

any commonalities to these events? The yelling and spitting and such?
I’m still laid off but my partner has been back since reopening so I hear about what it’s like everyday. He was brought back as incredicrew but is back to original role now. He had some bad days, guests being rude or needing to have the last word etc but I think all this “cast get spit on and harassed for 10 hours straight everyday” is exaggerating just a little. Yes it’s a very different operation right now, scheduling a mess, mandatory OT, I’m not saying it’s all rainbows, but I’d rather this than 08/09 when sometimes the manager I checked in with at the start of my shift no longer existed at the end of my shift.

castlecake2.0

Disney needs to bring back the Seasonal Cast Members first. They have the experience to return and start. Also it's cheaper for Disney since they don't get overtime pay or holiday pay. Of course the union doesn't want seasonal.
I think it’s very unlikely seasonals will ever return unfortunately, Disney has wanted to reduce that cast for a long time

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m still laid off but my partner has been back since reopening so I hear about what it’s like everyday. He was brought back as incredicrew but is back to original role now. He had some bad days, guests being rude or needing to have the last word etc but I think all this “cast get spit on and harassed for 10 hours straight everyday” is exaggerating just a little. Yes it’s a very different operation right now, scheduling a mess, mandatory OT, I’m not saying it’s all rainbows, but I’d rather this than 08/09 when sometimes the manager I checked in with at the start of my shift no longer existed at the end of my shift.

and based on my experience from a couple of decades ago...that’s exactly what I would have guess the truth to have been

Lilofan

There are still a number of areas still closed ( ie resorts ) . If WDW has a staffing problem now, one can only imagine staffing problems will get more challenging when more and more areas get opened. Staffing issues will always certainly impact the vacations of the guests at WDW.

castlecake2.0

Hoping Cultural Reps will have some news soon, would think by the end of the year several of the countries would be able to send reps

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are still a number of areas still closed ( ie resorts ) . If WDW has a staffing problem now, one can only imagine staffing problems will get more challenging when more and more areas get opened. Staffing issues will always certainly impact the vacations of the guests at WDW.

the prices...for sure.

not entirely sure there’s a rush to reopen more hotels...they have pretty ideal scenario setting up now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom