News Disney College Program begins again

Zorkel567

Wait....wait...

People PAY MONEY TO DISNEY to participate in the CP? Like they pay for the privilege of getting a minimum wage, "you will almost certainly be treated like garbage" job?

I'd say it's admittedly a little more nuanced than that, but yeah, basically.

While you weren't required to stay in the Disney-owned housing (Vista Way, Commons, Patterson, Chatham Square), if you were living in one of those, you had to pay rent weekly, which was taken directly out of our paycheck each week. So whatever hit our accounts was money earned minus rent, which varied depending on apartment complex, # of roommates, and style of apartment.

For the first week to week and a half, before we were at out location, we weren't getting paid. I think move-ins were usually on Monday, we wouldn't do Traditions until the following weekend, and then there could still potentially be a couple days until we were training, and even longer until the paycheck actually came in.

So because Disney doesn't like to miss out on a single dollar, we had to put down a deposit to cover the rent for that first week or two since they weren't able to take it from our paychecks. In the case that you decided to find a non-Disney owned apartment, you could get most if not all of it refunded, though I think they still kept some to go to housing events- grocery bingo, movie nights, dances, meet n' greets, etc.

But I do think if you just decided not to go to your program- such as in the case of not liking your role- the contract signed in the beginning indicated Disney could just keep the deposit.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'd say it's admittedly a little more nuanced than that, but yeah, basically.

While you weren't required to stay in the Disney-owned housing (Vista Way, Commons, Patterson, Chatham Square), if you were living in one of those, you had to pay rent weekly, which was taken directly out of our paycheck each week. So whatever hit our accounts was money earned minus rent, which varied depending on apartment complex, # of roommates, and style of apartment.

For the first week to week and a half, before we were at out location, we weren't getting paid. I think move-ins were usually on Monday, we wouldn't do Traditions until the following weekend, and then there could still potentially be a couple days until we were training, and even longer until the paycheck actually came in.

So because Disney doesn't like to miss out on a single dollar, we had to put down a deposit to cover the rent for that first week or two since they weren't able to take it from our paychecks. In the case that you decided to find a non-Disney owned apartment, you could get most if not all of it refunded, though I think they still kept some to go to housing events- grocery bingo, movie nights, dances, meet n' greets, etc.

But I do think if you just decided not to go to your program- such as in the case of not liking your role- the contract signed in the beginning indicated Disney could just keep the deposit.

Wait...you were not required to live in DCP housing?? Since when?

AEfx

My university wasn't giving credits for the DCP but that was back in 2003/4

I've always been under the impression that the only thing anyone has really gotten actual real college credits before has been the "elite", rare actual apprenticeships that select CPers who come back over and over for can get selected for in other departments.

There may be exceptions out there - but I honestly cannot imagine accredited colleges and universities giving college credit for working as a cashier, fry cook, or sweeper.

ToTBellHop

I've always been under the impression that the only thing anyone has really gotten actual real college credits before has been the "elite", rare actual apprenticeships that select CPers who come back over and over for can get selected for in other departments.

There may be exceptions out there - but I honestly cannot imagine accredited colleges and universities giving college credit for working as a cashier, fry cook, or sweeper.
Glad I didn’t do CP then...

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG_6EB8C1F04956-1.jpeg

TransportationGuy

Does it feel like they're going to go with rolling admissions for awhile, rather than the old tranches of 6 months and 6 months?
My read would be yes. For the foreseeable future, DCP will be used to get labor for cheaper rates than local FT employees. It also allows them to put CPs in the exact roles and timeframes that they want. Ie: We need 15 additional housekeepers to open X building at Y resort. As demand and COVID stable back out, they’ll seek to fully fill Flamingo Crossings and go back to a more structured model to provide consistent support. They also extended eligibility out to anyone who graduated in the past 24 months to broaden the number of potential applicants.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
This year's DCP is so lucky, Brand new housing complex and a soon to open Target just beside it.
the new apartments were so cheaply built. I've heard stories of baseboards falling off and being held up by 3M strips. Also, they didn't build enough parking. Some CPs have to park their cars and then take a bus back to the apartments

TransportationGuy

the new apartments were so cheaply built. I've heard stories of baseboards falling off and being held up by 3M strips. Also, they didn't build enough parking. Some CPs have to park their cars and then take a bus back to the apartments
If you ask Disney, they don’t need cars. They provide premier transportation for free that only catches on fire sometimes.

Lilofan

I've never heard of apts being built non cheaply. A painting company did my mother's exterior painting. The painting owner even said during the winter time his teams paint apt building exterior and interior with the cheapest quality paint. They painted my moms home with Benjamin Moore and she kept the leftovers. Luckily back in the day when my home was being built from the ground up I was on the my builder foreman 's behind weekly pointing out at times shoddy work and demanding the work be redone to spec. They complied each time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom