Disney Channels The Grinch - Disney Retroactivlely Pulls Prep & Landing from Amazon

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not correct, Just like Disney publisher decided that they no longer WANTED to sell book through Amazon, There was a lawsuit which I referenced in link where Amazon agreed NOT to do this again in the future, And lo and behold (Disney + Amazon) did it again. I hope the court holds Amazon in contempt for its role in this.

Full description of incident
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10289983-56.html

Amazon settlement and text of order forbidding them from removing content from a law blog
http://spamnotes.com/2009/10/01/kin...n-agrees-to-not-disappear-kindle-content.aspx

Protestations to the contrary I think that Disney figured it would not get CAUGHT doing this, Just like Sony figured it would not get caught installing rootkits which permanently disabled DVD write capability after Sony DVD's were played on computer.

US based media companies are among the most customer unfriendly organizations on the planet, And actions like these need to have a spotlight directed at them.

Further unless senior executives are demoted or dismissed over this incident it was not an ACCIDENT, It was a deliberate attempt to claw back content which customers have paid for in order to implement a marketing strategy.
I think you will have better luck grinding this axe.

axe.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Agreed with every about about blaming Amazon. Amazon while a great server entity is known for big Server mess ups. Almost every Netflix outage can be linked back to Amazon Servers crashing, the same can be said for pinterest and instagram. This is not those companies fault but Amazons. I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of last Christmas where Netflix failed due to Amazon Server's crashing.

Digging deeper I found that Amazon had a slew of Server issues on the 14th, a database error could be linked to a similar issues of service coming in an out.

I am not trying to bash Amazon, they are a great company with great services (That I use every day), but everyone company can make mistakes, esp. when you have as many servers as they do.

Only problem with this theory is - Amazon is under a court order NOT to do this.
http://spamnotes.com/2009/10/01/kin...n-agrees-to-not-disappear-kindle-content.aspx

Protestations to contrary I am having a problem believing that this was an accident, Having used the Amazon publishing service there are simply too many checks in place for this to be an 'Accident',

On the AWS server service there are many levels of compute and storage available, Netflix is probably using the cheapest level to control costs - this level is useful for adding nodes to Beowulf clusters and web content serving but is subject to interruption.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Facts are indeed inconvenient,

Instead of raising your argument, you raise your voice and attack the messenger.

And living in the country I do have a couple of THESE to keep Axes and Hatchets sharp for immediate use

sandstone_grinder.jpg

I think you will have better luck grinding this axe.

axe.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Facts are indeed inconvenient,

Instead of raising your argument, you raise your voice and attack the messenger.

And living in the country I do have a couple of THESE to keep Axes and Hatchets sharp for immediate use

sandstone_grinder.jpg
Facts you say? Amazon makes a mistake, corrects it and and you are trying to blow it up to be bigger than 9/11, Watergate and NSA spying all in one.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Only problem with this theory is - Amazon is under a court order NOT to do this.

Protestations to contrary I am having a problem believing that this was an accident, Having used the Amazon publishing service there are simply too many checks in place for this to be an 'Accident',

On the AWS server service there are many levels of compute and storage available, Netflix is probably using the cheapest level to control costs - this level is useful for adding nodes to Beowulf clusters and web content serving but is subject to interruption.

Just a devils advocate though, does film count as Kindle content. Considering that you don't need the Kindle app on your pc,mac,tablet to view the film I am going to assume that it is not within the same legal grounds as Kindle Content.

Sadly servers causing content to disappear is common, I was one of many people effected by it Via Steam, One of my Games disappeared(the same game disappeared for many users), and Steam even has a FAQ for if this situation happens.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Facts you say? Amazon makes a mistake, corrects it and and you are trying to blow it up to be bigger than 9/11, Watergate and NSA spying all in one.

Modern corporations don't make mistakes like this, They take an action and hope they get away with it and because the US population is generally forgiving they generally DO get away with it.

Remember when Bank of America was going to add a charge to every debit card purchase, Verizon was going to add a $2.00 charge to every bill paid online even though it was cheaper for them than to process in the office. Common thread was a US corporation was implementing a totally unjustified action simply because they COULD and they only backed off when they were shamed by the national media just as in this case.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Modern corporations don't make mistakes like this, They take an action and hope they get away with it and because the US population is generally forgiving they generally DO get away with it.

Remember when Bank of America was going to add a charge to every debit card purchase, Verizon was going to add a $2.00 charge to every bill paid online even though it was cheaper for them than to process in the office. Common thread was a US corporation was implementing a totally unjustified action simply because they COULD and they only backed off when they were shamed by the national media just as in this case.
Corporations comprised of tens of thousands of human being never make a mistake.

Yeah....:cautious:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Just a devils advocate though, does film count as Kindle content. Considering that you don't need the Kindle app on your pc,mac,tablet to view the film I am going to assume that it is not within the same legal grounds as Kindle Content.

Sadly servers causing content to disappear is common, I was one of many people effected by it Via Steam, One of my Games disappeared(the same game disappeared for many users), and Steam even has a FAQ for if this situation happens.

Good points, I don't really know if it counts as Kindle content however a Kindle Fire or Kindle HD can play this media so it's one for the lawyers to decide.

On server errors the key difference is Valve fixes the errors without requiring national media to shame them into fixing the error and server errors generally only make news in the technical press, Not the front page of US and UK major newspapers which is why I am holding to the belief that this was NOT an error.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Good points, I don't really know if it counts as Kindle content however a Kindle Fire or Kindle HD can play this media so it's one for the lawyers to decide.

On server errors the key difference is Valve fixes the errors without requiring national media to shame them into fixing the error and server errors generally only make news in the technical press, Not the front page of US and UK major newspapers which is why I am holding to the belief that this was NOT an error.

I like this discussion and am no way trying to push my point right or wrong, but very rarely do private companies that do 2.5 billion a year make the news like a public company that does 61 billion. More eyes are on the public company the private.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
I like this discussion and am no way trying to push my point right or wrong, but very rarely do private companies that do 2.5 billion a year make the news like a public company that does 61 billion. More eyes are on the public company the private.

No problem,

For me it just seems companies these days make 'mistakes' which they do not rectify until they are shamed by the press, Which leads me to believe that that are not mistakes at all, Rather just testing the limits of what they can get away with.

If it was a mistake it should have been rectified immediately and if it HAD been it never would have made the front page in the US and UK it probably would have been picked up by the technical press but it would have ended there with a explanation by Amazon about what they would do to prevent future incidents.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
No problem,

For me it just seems companies these days make 'mistakes' which they do not rectify until they are shamed by the press, Which leads me to believe that that are not mistakes at all, Rather just testing the limits of what they can get away with.

If it was a mistake it should have been rectified immediately and if it HAD been it never would have made the front page in the US and UK it probably would have been picked up by the technical press but it would have ended there with a explanation by Amazon about what they would do to prevent future incidents.

Or in this modern world the press and public at large can see a problem and post it to 100 sites before the company has even opened an e-mail reporting a problem.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Or in this modern world the press and public at large can see a problem and post it to 100 sites before the company has even opened an e-mail reporting a problem.

True - However If it was fixed quickly it would be on page 20 if it could be found at all, The fact that it made the front page on two continents means a LOT of people were affected and Disney/Amazon's initial responses were less than satisfactory so people took to the 'net to express their anger.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
This is all pointless and both Prep and Landing 1 and 2 are back on Amazon. Whoever was responsible fixed the problem or reversed the choice to have it removed. I'm going with Amazon mistake as neither version of Prep and Landing disappeared off of the other streaming sites. Vudu had it the whole time why wouldn't Disney pull it there too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom