Disney Channels The Grinch - Disney Retroactivlely Pulls Prep & Landing from Amazon

Minnie_girl

I bet it was a mistake on some level.
75.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Not having read the small print, if the small print allowed Disney to do it, then, no I don't have an issue with it.

So you are OK with having something you PAID for this was NOT FREE. - taken away without compensation because some random executive thought that having this content as a Disney exclusive would be a 'Good Thing'.

The fine print allows a content provider to remove content - So if content owner accidentally included infringing content the damage could be mitigated. I've published some technical guides there.

Disney by careful lawyering they found they could pull content without recourse to the buyer so they did it.

The only reason they restored access is they were CAUGHT and shamed by the UK press.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Do you have any evidence to support your "Ginch" theory or are you just fishing for misplaced rage?

Disney is fully within it's rights not to SELL IP via Amazon any longer, However the Grinchiness comes from taking it AWAY from people who ALREADY purchased it as this was not FREE content. And for that Disney deserves all the brickbats the 'net can throw at them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney is fully within it's rights not to SELL IP via Amazon any longer, However the Grinchiness comes from taking it AWAY from people who ALREADY purchased it as this was not FREE content. And for that Disney deserves all the brickbats the 'net can throw at them.
From what I am reading in the article it sounds like it was Amazon's mistake, not Disney's. The title of the article even says as much.

As far as removing articles for sale, Disney has always done this. "The Vault" has been a very effective marketing tool for their physical media. It creates a sense of urgency and buzz about particular titles that are getting ready to be pulled from stores. I see no reason why they would not continue a similar action in the digital age.

In the end what this comes down to is the problem with digital media in general. People operate under the assumption that they "buy" all of digital media. The reality is that if that media is not housed on your hardware you are in effect "leasing" not "buying" the item. It typically says as much in the terms and conditions. The bottom line is if you have an extensive library stored on someone else's server, that library can go poof in an instant. Just ask anyone who purchased DRM music from Wal-Mart.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
From what I am reading in the article it sounds like it was Amazon's mistake, not Disney's. The title of the article even says as much.

As far as removing articles for sale, Disney has always done this. "The Vault" has been a very effective marketing tool for their physical media. It creates a sense of urgency and buzz about particular titles that are getting ready to be pulled from stores. I see no reason why they would not continue a similar action in the digital age.

In the end what this comes down to is the problem with digital media in general. People operate under the assumption that they "buy" all of digital media. The reality is that if that media is not housed on your hardware you are in effect "leasing" not "buying" the item. It typically says as much in the terms and conditions. The bottom line is if you have an extensive library stored on someone else's server, that library can go poof in an instant. Just ask anyone who purchased DRM music from Wal-Mart.

Agree fully which is why I DO NOT purchase BluRay and want all my digital content on PHYSICAL CD's and DVD's

BluRay players have revocable content licenses and license updates are on each BluRay disc, So If Disney or anyone else decided that they did not want you to be able to play your PURCHASED bluray content any longer. Poof it's gone shades of Orwell's memory hole.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Agree fully which is why I DO NOT purchase BluRay and want all my digital content on PHYSICAL CD's and DVD's

BluRay players have revocable content licenses and license updates are on each BluRay disc, So If Disney or anyone else decided that they did not want you to be able to play your PURCHASED bluray content any longer. Poof it's gone shades of Orwell's memory hole.
So, I can go out and buy a blue ray version of a movie and at some point in time that blue ray disc can be rendered inoperable? How exactly is that done?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This was added to the end of the article -

This article was amended on 16 December 2013 to include Amazon's statement that the removal of the animation was because of a database error. It was further amended on 17 December 2013 to add that Amazon says the error was unrelated to Disney's request.

So all amazon it would appear.
So maybe we need to get the title to this thread changed....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
So maybe we need to get the title to this thread changed....

Thought about it - Decided against it, Amazon has made content go bye bye in the past by accident most notably Orwells 1984, And since this s KNOWN widely and there was even a SETTLEMENT about this practice.

http://spamnotes.com/2009/10/01/kin...n-agrees-to-not-disappear-kindle-content.aspx

When Disney and Amazon got caught it was probably agreed that Amazon would take the fall since they had similar 'accidents' in the past.

IF TWDC told me the sky was Blue I would double check with two sources, I believe NOTHING which comes out of Burbank's PR operation.

No Disney needs to be reminded -

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Thought about it - Decided against it, Amazon has made content go bye bye in the past by accident most notably Orwells 1984, And since this s KNOWN widely and there was even a SETTLEMENT about this practice.

http://spamnotes.com/2009/10/01/kin...n-agrees-to-not-disappear-kindle-content.aspx

When Disney and Amazon got caught it was probably agreed that Amazon would take the fall since they had similar 'accidents' in the past.

IF TWDC told me the sky was Blue I would double check with two sources, I believe NOTHING which comes out of Burbank's PR operation.

If this is a known Amazon practice shouldn't you be slamming them? This also came from Amazon's PR department they are based in Seattle

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Amazon was selling an unauthorized copy of 1984. They were essentially selling stolen property. They removed the content and refunded customers money.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Agreed with every about about blaming Amazon. Amazon while a great server entity is known for big Server mess ups. Almost every Netflix outage can be linked back to Amazon Servers crashing, the same can be said for pinterest and instagram. This is not those companies fault but Amazons. I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of last Christmas where Netflix failed due to Amazon Server's crashing.

Digging deeper I found that Amazon had a slew of Server issues on the 14th, a database error could be linked to a similar issues of service coming in an out.

I am not trying to bash Amazon, they are a great company with great services (That I use every day), but everyone company can make mistakes, esp. when you have as many servers as they do.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Amazon was selling an unauthorized copy of 1984. They were essentially selling stolen property. They removed the content and refunded customers money.

Not correct, Just like Disney publisher decided that they no longer WANTED to sell book through Amazon, There was a lawsuit which I referenced in link where Amazon agreed NOT to do this again in the future, And lo and behold (Disney + Amazon) did it again. I hope the court holds Amazon in contempt for its role in this.

Full description of incident
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10289983-56.html

Amazon settlement and text of order forbidding them from removing content from a law blog

Protestations to the contrary I think that Disney figured it would not get CAUGHT doing this, Just like Sony figured it would not get caught installing rootkits which permanently disabled DVD write capability after Sony DVD's were played on computer.

US based media companies are among the most customer unfriendly organizations on the planet, And actions like these need to have a spotlight directed at them.

Further unless senior executives are demoted or dismissed over this incident it was not an ACCIDENT, It was a deliberate attempt to claw back content which customers have paid for in order to implement a marketing strategy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom