News Disney CEO Bob Iger says raising park prices and increasing capacity is not smart and criticizes previous policies

Tha Realest

Yeah.. any addition of capacity would all be based on ROI and Iger admitting that there is a ceiling to how much they can (or should) charge, would inevitably drag down the amount they can spend on additional capacity.

You can't keep building more Pandoras and Galaxy Edges if you're only going to appeal to the discount AP crowd.
I also wonder how gun shy they are with the reception to SWGE. If I reca it didn’t increase capacity at DL. To be sure, DHS has been crowded and is often one of the first to cap out on reservations (along with MK) but I think it has some of the worst capacity of all the parks.

Disstevefan1

Iger says Disney must remain a brand that is accessible, saying they must be smarter about how they price their parks experiences. He acknowledged the company was likely too aggressive with its pricing strategy.

BUT, the reality will be prices on everything will continue to go up.

Iger will say one thing and do nothing to change it.

Besides, Iger can blame Josh D'Amaro anyway.

"CEO Speak" and reality are two different things.

FettFan

He created the mess. Saw a bigger mess coming. Selected his fall guy. Left. Then outted him, comes back as the “hero”, and throws the fall guy he hand picked under the bus for what he himself basically did and began under his watch before he left. Brilliant strategy.

Disney could make a movie about it sometime with him as the villain but they don’t seem to be that creative anymore so they just do sequels.

Sounds like Iago to me. Not the parrot, but the Shakespeare character.

Disstevefan1

He created the mess. Saw a bigger mess coming. Selected his fall guy. Left. Then outted him, comes back as the “hero”, and throws the fall guy he hand picked under the bus for what he himself basically did and began under his watch before he left. Brilliant strategy.

Disney could make a movie about it sometime with him as the villain but they don’t seem to be that creative anymore so they just do sequels.
💯 🏆

el_super

I also wonder how gun shy they are with the reception to SWGE. If I reca it didn’t increase capacity at DL.

Overall it did add attraction capacity, but due to it's positioning and the other infrastructure projects related to build it, the necessary increased spending per guest was proably much higher than DHS. DLR's attendance has been long dominated by Annual Passes.

Drdcm

None of the math here has changed.

If he lowers prices the parks will be too crowded and people will complain about the crowds.

If he raises prices to control the crowds, people will complain about the prices.

If he tries to artificially cap attendance with low prices (via park reservations) people will complain about the reservation system.

He can keep trying to adjust the sliders, but the end result will always be some group put out.

So far though, it doesn't seem that they have made any significant moves away from their revaluing strategy from 2019. The one Iger started and Chapek continued.
Expand park operation hours and get rid of special ticketed after hours events? I’d like to see that again. Nothing better than being in MK at 2am. It could also improve the value and usability of genie plus

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
None of the math here has changed.

If he lowers prices the parks will be too crowded and people will complain about the crowds.

If he raises prices to control the crowds, people will complain about the prices.

If he tries to artificially cap attendance with low prices (via park reservations) people will complain about the reservation system.

He can keep trying to adjust the sliders, but the end result will always be some group put out.

So far though, it doesn't seem that they have made any significant moves away from their revaluing strategy from 2019. The one Iger started and Chapek continued.
The solution is to build another castle park somewhere else in the US to accommodate the demand.

They should do an Amazon HQ2 thing and make cities and states trip over themselves to provide maximum incentives, infrastructure, and cheap land and minimum zoning and permitting interference. They might find themselves able to build the park for free.

Riviera Rita

One thing I did notice about going to Orlando in November was that despite the flight being full I felt there were a lot less Brits in the Disney parks. I didn't go to Universal, so I don't know if they were all there. Disney did do great offers when they release the trips, usually around May, I had the Dining credit offer for Pop which, with the $200 gift card equalled over $700 to pay for food and merchandise and I did the same for my upcoming trip in August, but, perhaps people still want to go to central Florida, but, not Disney even with the dining credit offers. I'm waiting to see if they repeat this offer for a third year. It was also cheaper to book immediately as the prices soared for the same dates a few months later with no offers that made it worthwhile. My attitude was book immediately and if you can't go then cancel and lose just the £50 deposit that Disney charges. Virgin Holidays asks a bit more as a deposit so that isn't such a great strategy if you book with them.

Andrew25

One thing I did notice about going to Orlando in November was that despite the flight being full I felt there were a lot less Brits in the Disney parks. I didn't go to Universal, so I don't know if they were all there. Disney did do great offers when they release the trips, usually around May, I had the Dining credit offer for Pop which, with the $200 gift card equalled over $700 to pay for food and merchandise and I did the same for my upcoming trip in August, but, perhaps people still want to go to central Florida, but, not Disney even with the dining credit offers. I'm waiting to see if they repeat this offer for a third year. It was also cheaper to book immediately as the prices soared for the same dates a few months later with no offers that made it worthwhile. My attitude was book immediately and if you can't go then cancel and lose just the £50 deposit that Disney charges. Virgin Holidays asks a bit more as a deposit so that isn't such a great strategy if you book with them.

All the Brits were at Universal lol

Same with the Brazilians, felt like every other group spoke with a UK accent lol

scrozier73

Why do you say that? It can be done more reasonably if you are willing to only pay Disney for park tickets and, if you have a car, the parking. Everything else can be done on a budget. Stay offsite, an AirBnB or off site hotel, bring your own food and beverages in, think about how much you'd eat on a normal day and pack that amount plus a few extra snacks, a refillable water bottle or bottles of water from Publix or WalMart, I never buy water at Disney, find out where all the refillable water stations are. I know of one at the DHS bus stop by the bathrooms and the one at GE, I don't know if there are more, maybe others know their location.
I don't know how old your little one is, but, for his birthday and even Christmas ask for money as part as his present that can be put away for his spending money and Walmart and Target have a great range of Disney souvenirs.
I didn't go to Disney until I was probably a lot older than you are, it's never too late, just look to ways of saving money, even if it takes a few years it's better than never.
Your absolutely right disney can be done on a budget. There are 1000s of people who own time shares that sell their time or like you said cheaper hotel or airbnb. You can also rent houses if you go with another friend/family members and split cost. Uber and lyft to parks. Basically same cost as the 25 parking fee. We took our own food in for years when my kids were in strollers. Packed a cooler bag of drinks and a cooler bag of sandwiches and chips. Then you just buy a few snacks in park if you want. Also another way to save some $ is if you have target red card?? Buy the disney gift cards at target. You get 5% off disney gift cards. Figure out roughly how much money u will spend on vacation at disney places and get that in disney gift cards from target. Free money. I most times get 1000 in Disney gift cards and pay only 950. Or to get to 1000 get the extra 50 dollar gift card. So u now have 1050 for 1000. Disney can be done on a budget if you dont get fooled by a travel agent to stay on property. Even the lowest disney places are expensive now. Always do your homework and research before planning a disney trip. Its definitely doable on a budget.

Riviera Rita

Your absolutely right disney can be done on a budget. There are 1000s of people who own time shares that sell their time or like you said cheaper hotel or airbnb. You can also rent houses if you go with another friend/family members and split cost. Uber and lyft to parks. Basically same cost as the 25 parking fee. We took our own food in for years when my kids were in strollers. Packed a cooler bag of drinks and a cooler bag of sandwiches and chips. Then you just buy a few snacks in park if you want. Also another way to save some $ is if you have target red card?? Buy the disney gift cards at target. You get 5% off disney gift cards. Figure out roughly how much money u will spend on vacation at disney places and get that in disney gift cards from target. Free money. I most times get 1000 in Disney gift cards and pay only 950. Or to get to 1000 get the extra 50 dollar gift card. So u now have 1050 for 1000. Disney can be done on a budget if you dont get fooled by a travel agent to stay on property. Even the lowest disney places are expensive now. Always do your homework and research before planning a disney trip. Its definitely doable on a budget.
If you have kids wait until they are older and can enjoy it more and can be reasoned with about the costs of stuff. I know it's cute taking babies into the park for that photo op with Mickey, but, where are their memories? Plus, having looked after my sister's kids when they were very, very young and taking them out and about it was such a hassle, nappies, feeding and so on, I love them to bits, but, when I finally took them to Disneyland Paris when they were 13, 9 and 6 we had an absolute blast. The cost was more, but, the memories are priceless.

CAV

Good and bad doesn’t apply, this is purely supply and demand.

If a park ticket cost $45 they wouldn’t have spent billions redoing DCA, spent billions on Galaxy’s edge, spent billions on Pandora, etc, etc.

I’d rather pay $124 to go to a current Disney park than pay $45 to go to the parks we’d have if a ticket actually cost $45. If you want to see exactly what that would look like you can go to Knotts down the street, a moderately sized, well themed park full of teenagers.
The Prison of Two Thoughts. It doesnt have to be one or the other.

Drdcm

This guy is clown. @Sirwalterraleigh you said you think Iger is in trouble and I agree. Do you think he will make it the full 2 years?

His ego is killing this company.
I know you didn’t ask me, but he has all the business folks absolutely drooling over him. I think his ego is so large he’ll stay longer than 2 years. It seems like only the hardcore fans see him for what he really is.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. He shows the signs of psychopathy. Psychopaths are really good at fooling people.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I know you didn’t ask me, but he has all the business folks absolutely drooling over him. I think his ego is so large he’ll stay longer than 2 years. It seems like only the hardcore fans see him for what he really is.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. He shows the signs of psychopathy. Psychopaths are really good at fooling people.
He’s getting too old to stay longer at Disney. He should be ousted Eisner-style.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You’re completely right…in 2015.

Now? Not so sure.

It’s obvious this is how he wants it and how they’re gonna frame everything to try and “wish it into existence”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom