News Disney CEO Bob Iger says raising park prices and increasing capacity is not smart and criticizes previous policies

celluloid

Whenever someone says they like Iger, I lose all respect for their comment. I’ve never liked him and while many consider him a brilliant business person, I think he’s just an egomaniac without a creative bone in his body. He just likes to spend other people’s money on franchises, ruin their creativity, and reward himself handsomely. I mean come in, he’s the first ceo who wouldn’t wear a Mickey Mouse tie…. Just quit Bob, quit

the Imagineering Story Shanghai episode makes this evident. The episode is a time where the show took a turn from mentioning CEOs and leadership at different times to making the episode about him. There is once a clip where there is a quote at one point where he says "I did it."

That tells you all you need to know about Bob Iger.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
This is classic Iger slimey double speak…saying he doesn’t like the prices he’s mostly responsible for, but has no interest in fitting people into already uncomfortably overrun parks…

What a bunch of crap…let’s get this annual meeting over with…so a deal can be cut and he can finally have an exit path
He created the mess. Saw a bigger mess coming. Selected his fall guy. Left. Then outted him, comes back as the “hero”, and throws the fall guy he hand picked under the bus for what he himself basically did and began under his watch before he left. Brilliant strategy.

Disney could make a movie about it sometime with him as the villain but they don’t seem to be that creative anymore so they just do sequels.
I honestly feel like skipping WDW this year for the first time and just heading to Tokyo Disneyland next year once Fantasy Springs opens. There’s just no equal and the gap is only going to grow larger.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Whenever someone says they like Iger, I lose all respect for their comment. I’ve never liked him and while many consider him a brilliant business person, I think he’s just an egomaniac without a creative bone in his body. He just likes to spend other people’s money on franchises, ruin their creativity, and reward himself handsomely. I mean come in, he’s the first ceo who wouldn’t wear a Mickey Mouse tie…. Just quit Bob, quit
I would say he’s actually overperformed

But like his predecessor…he’s stale, stayed too long, and it’s time to go

Vegas Disney Fan

Honestly, I’ve had it with the Disney-run parks until whenever their next major round of investment is done (looking like a 2030 completion at this point).

I honestly feel like skipping Disney this year for the first time, and just heading to Tokyo Disneyland next year once Fantasy Springs opens. There’s just no equal and the gap is only going to grow larger.

What they’re doing in Hong Kong and Paris looks pretty amazing also. Unfortunately everything to look forward to at a Disney park (after Tron) requires flying half way across the world to see it.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
What they’re doing in Hong Kong and Paris looks pretty amazing also. Unfortunately everything to look forward to at a Disney park (after Tron) requires flying half way across the world to see it.
While they’ll obviously make those two parks drastically better, I’m more interested in what their next phases will be (that were planned years ago).

Hong Kong Disneyland and especially Walt Disney Studios Paris are improving, but still very weak as is, the latter especially.

When I think of these IP-based mind blowing lands that get me excited, they’re all larger than the pair of Frozen lands and they have Rise of the Resistance, Flight of Passage, Radiator Springs Racers, Hagrid’s, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc.

The two Frozen lands premiere ride is Frozen: Ever After which doesn’t make me excited both because we have it here, but also because it’s just an okay ride (albeit theirs will have improvements over our version).

Just the new Frozen “section” of the Fantasy Springs land at Tokyo DisneySea will not only be bigger than the other two but have a headliner E-ticket, and it’s already in the best park in the world.

Shanghai’s Zootopia land looks stunning, and the ride looks like a headliner, but I mean, while Shanghai Disneyland is amazing (speaking from first-hand experience), it’s not exactly the place I want to be right now.

My present excitement for theme parks lies with Tokyo DisneySea and Universal’s Epic Universe.

hopemax

I'm confused by the title of this thread. Where did Bob say increasing CAPACITY was not smart?
He was talking about packing the parks with more bodies than the limits already in place. Indicating the reservations aren’t going away. The daily overall park capacity, as things stand right now isn’t increasing. He wasn’t talking about it in the way we usually talk about it.

Gringrinngghost

Iger 2018: "We’ve made a number of steps to essentially grow revenue, in some cases actually at the expense of some attendance where we’re changing our pricing approach sometimes in part to moderate attendance so the park experience is a little bit better,"

Iger 2023: "We were not perceived to be as accessible or as affordable to many segments, as we probably should have been."

Bob can eat my ***.

Single Day Park Tickets during the original tenure of Robert Iger.
Jan 2006 $63.00
Aug 2006 $67.00
Aug 2007 $71.00
Aug 2008 $75.00
May 2009 $75.00
Aug 2009 $79.00
Aug 2010 $82.00
Jun 2011 $85.00
Jun 2012 $89
Jun 2013 $95 – MK $90 – other theme parks
Feb 2014 $99 – MK $94 – other theme parks
Feb 2015 $105 – MK $97 – other theme parks
Feb 2016 $124 Peak $110 Regular $105 Value
Feb 2017 $124 Peak $115 Regular $107 Value
Feb 2018 $129 Peak $119 Regular $109 Value
Oct 2018 $129 Peak $122 Regular $114 Value
Mar 2019 $159 Holiday $139 Peak $125 Regular $117 Value $109

Even if we bypass the January 2006 increase, he still oversaw ticket pricing increase by 63% to 137%

Last edited:

CaptinEO

the Imagineering Story Shanghai episode makes this evident. The episode is a time where the show took a turn from mentioning CEOs and leadership at different times to making the episode about him. There is once a clip where there is a quote at one point where he says "I did it."

That tells you all you need to know about Bob Iger.
That went from an amazing documentary to an Iger self made praise fest so fast. I remember how they edit Walt giving Disneyland's opening speech with Iger giving the same speech in Shanghai Disneyland but he has zero emotion.

I'm sure he sees himself as a god.

celluloid

That went from an amazing documentary to an Iger self made praise fest so fast. I remember how they edit Walt giving Disneyland's opening speech with Iger giving the same speech in Shanghai Disneyland but he has zero emotion.

I'm sure he sees himself as a god.
Yeah, it is sad that the series turned into that.

Dranth

Iger 2018: "We’ve made a number of steps to essentially grow revenue, in some cases actually at the expense of some attendance where we’re changing our pricing approach sometimes in part to moderate attendance so the park experience is a little bit better,"

Iger 2022: "We were not perceived to be as accessible or as affordable to many segments, as we probably should have been."

Bob can eat my ***.

Jan 2006 $63.00
Aug 2006 $67.00
Aug 2007 $71.00
Aug 2008 $75.00
May 2009 $75.00
Aug 2009 $79.00
Aug 2010 $82.00
Jun 2011 $85.00
Jun 2012 $89

Even if we bypass the January 2006 increase, he still oversaw ticket pricing increase by 63% to 137%
Under Eisner:
Day he took over, $18.00
Day he left, $59.75

That is an increase of 231.9%

Dad 2 M & M

Iger 2022: "We were not perceived to be as accessible or as affordable to many segments, as we probably should have been."

Bob can eat my ***.

Jan 2006 $63.00
Aug 2006 $67.00
Aug 2007 $71.00
Aug 2008 $75.00
May 2009 $75.00
Aug 2009 $79.00
Aug 2010 $82.00
Jun 2011 $85.00
Jun 2012 $89

That’s why the Parks are packed. He’ll lower the ticket prices and we’ll see the crowds die down

AdventureHasAName

1982 (opening of EPCOT):
One Day Ticket = $15
Annual Pass = $100

Adjusted for Inflation in 2022 (1982 prices):
One Day Ticket = $45
Annual Pass = $303

Actual Ticket Prices in 2022:
One Day Ticket = $124 ($189 over peak Christmas)
One Day Parkhopper = $194 ($268 over peak Christmas)
Annual Pass = $1490

There is no set of circumstances where a rational, reasonable person looks at these numbers and doesn't conclude that the people who have run Disney since Eisner are the worst human beings on the planet. None. And this doesn't include Genie+ and Lighting Lanes and all those other nickle-and-dime nonsense that have been implemented over time (parking increases, hotel fees, etc).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom