News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

VJ

You’re more optimistic than me, I‘m expecting more than a 20% increase, more like 33% for everything, tickets, hotels, food, merchandise… with Chapek I think the skies the limit, why stop at 20% if you can fleece people for 33% or more?
"To celebrate 100 Years of Wonder, The Walt Disney Company announced a celebratory 100% price increase..."

Lilofan

Most “leaders” have no clue how us “commoners” live, it’s easy to say we don’t need better police or better schools from guard gated communities while your kids attend elite prep schools, I’m sure Chapek feels like a few hundred dollars for a ticket and $500 for a hotel is a great deal while he’s counting his millions.
Speaking about rich kids , the local public high school in Newport Beach, CA is loaded with them. My family used to live there and frequently saw Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant that lived there also. Kobe was a frequent attendee at the early morning Catholic mass near the high school on Sundays when he was in town including attending Sunday mass , the day of his passing. Kobe loved DLR.

Tay

Everyone knows that businesses have two possible strategies when demand is high. Increase prices to lower demand. Or increase capacity to meet demand. It’s just so incredibly frustrating to see a company that thrives on goodwill focusing on the former and paying so little attention to the latter.

It seems to me that this will help drive short term profits, but they’re creating a very unsustainable bubble.
Let’s be real, the demand won’t ever stop again unless they’re forced to shutdown. They know we sit on sites like this and complain but accept the scraps they give us. Universal is about to open a whole new park in less amount of time it took Disney to build 10 rides for 4 parks.

This is the big issue for me. If demand really is this strong, they're only really doing what publicly traded companies are almost required to do in pricing accordingly. What gets me is that they are moving more and more toward premium pricing while cutting back the quality of the product they're offering.

Disneyland Paris still has its issues, but I think they would be wise to look at how management there has put so much effort into raising show standards in recent years in line with all the price rises. If the same type of approach was taking place at WDW (e.g. restoring old effects throughout the lands that people had forgotten about rather than going in the other direction), it would be easier to swallow the price increases.

Exactly. The prices technically can stay the same but in effect be lowered through discounts if need be.
I agree with both of you. However, I think next year will be imposible to get a free DP. Maybe, it will be some discounts with regards to hotels. However, I am reluctant to it.

I think we agree on this point. They build attractions that are marketable and help sell/raise tickets. But these huge projects do little to increase capacity or actually create a more enjoyable/comfortable experience. That’s unsustainable.
I think it would be better to create a communication plan in order to manage the business. The projects can be done without becoming Disney in the lap of luxury. Nowadays, we have to pay for Dining, Fast pass and much more. All these things used to be included before covid-19. However, they have been eliminated and they have risen princes. So, we have lost qualities in our vacation. Now my question is: why are prices increasing if you have lost a lot of privileges?

Speaking about rich kids , the local public high school in Newport Beach, CA is loaded with them. My family used to live there and frequently saw Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant that lived there also. Kobe was a frequent attendee at the early morning Catholic mass near the high school on Sundays when he was in town including attending Sunday mass , the day of his passing. Kobe loved DLR.
He was a good person. However, Bob Chapek only loves money and rich people

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The beard is an outward sign of confidence. He just had his contract extended three years, has operated under enormous pressure, and now sports facial hair in a way that would have been forbidden company wide a year or two ago and is certainly unconventional at the CEO level. It also signals - as does his statements on CNBC this morning - a heel turn of sorts.

We're about to get the Full Chapek.
Heel turn is so appropriate. Iger lost his brief, if unimpressive, PR and the board - shocking no one - is falling in-line behind chapek to satisfy the hedges.

GimpYancIent

Everyone at the WaltDisneyworld subreddit loves the news of price increases. They think it’s gonna solve crowd control lol. I’ve never seen such weirdness
1660253087082.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep.

His end game is screw the consumer as much as possible. Now he’s gone public and said to expect it. And to blame the very people he intends to shaft - although a lot of them will be priced out.
And this is why I give the “acceptance culture” such a hardy. You know the people I’m referring to.

They’re always “personally offended” though…mark it down.

This is how they price…by the mass numbers…it’s not “individually priced”. Those that raise any concern tend to get keelhauled.

But hey…let’s talk about the “individual value structure” again.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just make believe…
More than a tiny bit of greed…
A whole lot of greed that’s reaching up to meet my schemes
The BoD’s got faith
Consumer credit has the girth
And the bottom line will grow cuz demand, it just won’t burst

Let’s execute the plan, that I love
Prices up, and far above
Execute the plaaaaannnn, execute the plan!

When springtime comes... how can I tell?
Epcot's air is always filled with food and boozy smells
Come summertime... the rain will halt
The gondolas, but food and booze will flow and flow

Prices up, and far above

When demand falls… it’ll be a **** show
Cold winds will blow and all my schemes go up in smoke
Come wintertime... Christmastime will call...
And shore up margins so calls for my head just will not fall...

Prices up, and far above

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everyone at the WaltDisneyworld subreddit loves the news of price increases. They think it’s gonna solve crowd control lol. I’ve never seen such weirdness
Iger said that…on a whim. Disney fans are under the incredibly mistaken impression that is “illegal”…which it absolutely is not. That’s no book cooking or insider trading…it’s a throwaway line that can be dismissed later 1,000 ways to Sunday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom