News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

dreday3

Gee, Bob will increase prices fast and furious like he's done since 2015? Color me surprised... Not.

Where are my "BuT mY vAcAtIoN sPeNdInG cHoIcEs DoN't ImPaCt YoU!" people?

Hi.
I'm going until we don't want to anymore. Maybe after next trip, maybe after next 10, no clue.

And when we stop going, you won't find me here complaining about the people who are still choosing to go...because that would be weird.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Capacity not keeping up with the increase in demand that they pushed forever. And the product essentially flatlining while new upcharges are created. Their long term strategy has sucked for a while. It been building for years. Sirens. Sirens. Sirens. But ignored. And here we are. They backed themselves into a corner and the guests suffer.
Well said. Very well said.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Who knows what they are thinking now. I’m of the mindset that we should have seen a 5th gate a decade ago and a third US resort 5 years ago.

Bottom line, there is always going to be an excuse not to do something. Whether it’s a recession, a worldwide crisis, war, etc.. There are no perfect windows.
I know we joke about it but eventually Disney may really need a 3rd US resort and a 5th park in Orlando

Ricky Spanish

You sure that’s your “back”? 🤔
7DCC3CDC-D10F-43ED-8A99-CB9E44786F87.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Capacity not keeping up with the increase in demand that they pushed forever. And the product essentially flatlining while new upcharges are created. Their long term strategy has sucked for a while. It been building for years. Sirens. Sirens. Sirens. But ignored. And here we are. They backed themselves into a corner and the guests suffer.

I've said before, I don't get the sense that Disney's management team, going back to post-Wells Eisner has long-term confidence in Disney's product no matter what they say on camera. I think they avoided adding additional US parks or a 3rd Resort to focus on China, because they also keep expecting the domestic market to tighten up at some point, making the investment pointless. It's not just *us* sitting around wondering how long they can keep this up. IMO, there was genuine surprise coming from Chapek over how strong future bookings remain. However, the last 3 years has definitely shown how emotionally reactive people are about a litany of things, not just Disney vacations. Also, if you look around there are places where people have pulled back, just not yet on travel. We're getting a reprieve on energy based on how much demand pulled back recently, but supply is still going to be a concern as long as the war continues and climate change does its thing. That demand will creep back up, because people still want all the things, but I expect we're going to be in an annoying set of economic bunny hills until we get some clarity on the global geo-political situation. Including, our own country.

The earnings call, tipped their hand that they think they can just turn the AP spigot back on whenever they feel they might need to, but there is a lot of AP rage building up to replace all that pent-up demand. How this is all going to turn out in 5 years? 🤷‍♀️
What’s changed is not really the customers…or the normal growth of travel…that’s all the same/predictable.

What’s changed is the board and management. They’re not instructed to care about a longterm and they do what they’re told. It does “trickle down”…for once.

That was not always the case . Legacies were a driver before. Even Iger…who did tons of longterm damage…spent the last 5 years caring about his longterm ego. Which is why he’s spent the last 2 whining to anyone who will listen at the Hollywood reporter and CNBC.

That’s the deal now.

Disstevefan1

Capacity. Or lack of.
Well, yes, everyone wants more attractions.
In EPCOT, loved Horizons. I also like Mission space, if I had my way, they would have kept Horizons and added Mission space.
Yes, in an ideal Disney World, they would simply keep adding and never replace attractions.

Even with the limited capacity, even with Park Pass Reservations, even with Genie+, even with the failed 50th celebration, folks keep showing up at WDW.

If WDW is broken, it looks like TWDC will keep running WDW "as is" , as it is working!

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Who knows what they are thinking now. I’m of the mindset that we should have seen a 5th gate a decade ago and a third US resort 5 years ago.

Bottom line, there is always going to be an excuse not to do something. Whether it’s a recession, a worldwide crisis, war, etc.. There are no perfect windows.

The third resort (Texas) makes a lot of sense but until the other 3 WDW parks approach MK attendance I argue they still don’t need a 5th gate. Better to spend that money improving the 3 existing parks to draw people to them rather than creating a 5th gate that will only pull people away from the existing 3 and will do nothing to reduce the overcrowding at MK.

Well, yes, everyone wants more attractions.
In EPCOT, loved Horizons. I also like Mission space, if I had my way, they would have kept Horizons and added Mission space.
Yes, in an ideal Disney World, they would simply keep adding and never replace attractions.

Even with the limited capacity, even with Park Pass Reservations, even with Genie+, even with the failed 50th celebration, folks keep showing up at WDW.

If WDW is broken, it looks like TWDC will keep running WDW as is as it is working!
Some attractions, if they are able, should be remodeled to increase capacity. Can space mountain handle riders on a car that sits them side by side? Can Tomorrowland speedway make way for something better and bigger capacity? Maybe some sort of indoor trackless adventure through space that could be updated more than every 45 years. I generally agree though that new capacity needs to be at the forefront right now.

montyz81

This has been an issue for some time, but Bob has a habit for saying the quiet part out loud because he can't help himself.

It's also a risky business strategy that assumes the post-COVID travel surge will be indefinite and no personal or external factors will affect the public's appetite to visit his version of WDW at ever increasing prices.
The quiet part is the part that investors like, pushing up the stock price, basically filling up his own pockets. IBM used to do the same thing. Look at where they are now, barely an afterthought in the world of cloud applications and services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom