News Disney CEO Bob Chapek hails the metaverse as 'the next great storytelling frontier' and sets up a new team at Disney to create new experiences

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still think replacing attractions with virtual reality experiences is an awful idea.

As I said before, I don't go to Disney World to put on a headset, stand in an empty room, and "explore" a computer-generated landscape. I doubt anyone else does either. It basically defeats the whole purpose of going to a theme park. If they want to add virtual reality crap to Disney World, just bring back DisneyQuest and put them in there.
I don't see this as "replacing" existing attractions. But more for different ways guests can interact within the Parks and other Disney experiences, think of it as "plussing" your experience.

Now this is just an example, not saying they are going to do this. But imagine going to DLR or WDW and having the ability have a conversation with Walt just by interacting with the Partners statue. The statue will still be the same as it always was to everyone else not involved in the experience but to those involved in the experience it becomes an interactive experience, its AR/VR on steroids. And if you don't want to participate you don't have to, just go do everything as you normally would.

Its not to take away from anything existing, but to provide new experiences by providing enhanced ways to interact than ever before. And from a company perspective a new revenue source.

JoeCamel

I don't see this as "replacing" existing attractions. But more for different ways guests can interact within the Parks and other Disney experiences, think of it as "plussing" your experience.

Now this is just an example, not saying they are going to do this. But imagine going to DLR or WDW and having the ability have a conversation with Walt just by interacting with the Partners statue. The statue will still be the same as it always was to everyone else not involved in the experience but to those involved in the experience it becomes an interactive experience, its AR/VR on steroids. And if you don't want to participate you don't have to, just go do everything as you normally would.

Its not to take away from anything existing, but to provide new experiences by providing enhanced ways to interact than ever before. And from a company perspective a new revenue source.
Why do I have to go to WDW/DLR to do this?

Last edited:

drizgirl

I really that would be great as a “plus”. But a fair number of us have no faith that Disney won’t eventually move to try and actually replace things with it. Seems very un-Disney-like to just offer extras with nothing in it for Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really that would be great as a “plus”. But a fair number of us have no faith that Disney won’t eventually move to try and actually replace things with it. Seems very un-Disney-like to just offer extras with nothing in it for Disney.
And I get that is the fear, but I just don’t see that as a reality. As they know first and foremost that guests go to the Parks for a real world experience. The “plus” here is likely not a free service, so that is what’s in it for Disney. It’s a new experience they can charge money for, a new revenue stream. And just like all up-charge services you don’t have to pay if you don’t want to, and still get the same experience as you would previously.

Well that’s the way I see it anyways , but I could be wrong and they rip out everything in the Parks and just hand you goggles at the gate. Or better yet they charge you money just to stay home and use the goggles.

So we’ll all have to just wait and see what they do.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"It's many things to many people!" is the go-to for largely meaningless tech buzzwords with no singular compelling mainstream use case.

Blockchain was many things to many people too, but it turned out to mostly just be useful for scamming people.
So what, if this turns out to be nothing then it’ll fade away faster than MySpace.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Riviera Rita

As an older person I had to Google 'metaverse' and immediately thought no thank you.
Reading about Chapek's plans for this and the mooted Amazon Prime type membership really brought him home that Chapek was not an imagineer or dreamer like Walt was, but, out of touch with his consumer base. People want a physical vacation, not a VR one, I don't want to put on goggles sit in front of fan blowing in my face and pretending I'm on Thunder Mountain. I don't know of that is what Chapek meant, but, my understanding of the Metaverse is that is what he planned.
Why can't we just have kept the winning formula that was pre pandemic?

Fido Chuckwagon

Disney reportedly abandons metaverse plans which former CEO Bob Chapek described as 'the next great storytelling frontier'​

surprised-pikachu.gif

Disstevefan1

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's been a buzzword and an impossible goal for quite a few decades. What people imagine it would be is something like shown in "Ready Player One". Even that movie had an ironic easter egg from an early effort Lucas Arts attempted to build on Quantum Link (aka Qlink which became AOL) in the mid 19080's called "The Oasis" which was supposed to be a virtual entertainment world accessed via 8 bit Commodore 64 PCs. Never made it to the public while I was able to poke around it as a tester since I was a City Editor at the time.

EPCOT-O.G.

It's been a buzzword and an impossible goal for quite a few decades. What people imagine it would be is something like shown in "Ready Player One". Even that movie had an ironic easter egg from an early effort Lucas Arts attempted to build on Quantum Link (aka Qlink which became AOL) in the mid 19080's called "The Oasis" which was supposed to be a virtual entertainment world accessed via 8 bit Commodore 64 PCs. Never made it to the public while I was able to poke around it as a tester since I was a City Editor at the time.
I think “metaverse” is meant to include virtual spaces, not necessarily the locked universe accessible by Mark Zuckerberg’s headsets.

Heck, even Iger went in on a “metaverse” type venture between CEO stints. It was the hot thing for a minute there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom