Disney Castaway Cay 5k!

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I haven't gone on a cruise for 13 years and am thinking about going on one for my 21st birthday in March! Sorry if this already has a thread, but I found out that Disney holds an unofficial 5k on Castaway Cay the morning a ship arrives there. I think this would be kind of cool to do! Even though its only 3.1 miles, I bet you would be able to see plenty of amazing sites as you run. What do you guys think?

Ariel484

I haven't gone on a cruise for 13 years and am thinking about going on one for my 21st birthday in March! Sorry if this already has a thread, but I found out that Disney holds an unofficial 5k on Castaway Cay the morning a ship arrives there. I think this would be kind of cool to do! Even though its only 3.1 miles, I bet you would be able to see plenty of amazing sites as you run. What do you guys think?
I don't know much about it, but I am planning on doing this in September! Very laid back, I think.

imagination30

Do they do it in sept? shannon ? , bc we are looking at a cruise this year for a suproise for my moms birthday/ annivery and this would be cool to do ... how can we find out more info?

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
Well I just typed it into google and here is what I found out. You don't register for the race. Whoever wants to run the race just wakes up at 8:30am that morning. You do receive a bib and are given instructions on what to do. It's not chipped timed and you do receive a finishers medal. You can also get a race shirt for $22 at one of the gift shops, but that is very reasonable because the race is FREE!!!!!! If you want to look into it further, here are some links:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/in...ay-5k-run-a-nice-change-of-pace-for-cruisers/

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/07/03/disney-cruise-lines-castaway-cay-5k/

Kristia

Yep we did this back in April! It was fun although it can get very hot because there is very little shade. You have to signup the morning of around 8 or 8:30. As soon as you get the all ashore, the cast members walk you in a group out to the course. They have a clock so you can follow your own time but it isn't recorded. I think we had about 20 people participate. They have a water stop around the halfway point and water available at the end (from gatorade type coolers). They do give you a bib. The finishers medal is a DCL medal that says winner. It isn't fancy and it is just a cheap plastic thingy but neat to have. They give them out for other events on the cruise too. Later in the day, we received a Magical Moments certificate saying that we participated in the 5k. Its great for a little morning run.

sweetpee_1993

I ran it in Sept 2011. On that Dream cruise there was no sign-up, you just showed up at the start, got a bib, and ran. On cruises after that I've noticed in the Navigator a sign-up location on the ship prior to the gangways opening. I've read where sometimes you get a bib, sometimes not. Sometimes you get a certificate of completion in your stateroom later during the day. Sometimes not. Sometimes of maybe it was in the past there was a commemorative water bottle left in your stateroom later. Sometimes not. Theres a plastic finishers medal sometimes but not all the time. Sometimes crew/cast run with the group. That didn't happen when I ran it. The 1 girl rode a bike & called finish times when you came to the finish. We got a bib that we could keep but that was all. Nothing more.

The course isn't particularly scenic. Not much to see, really. You start by the bike rental stand near Pelican Point, run past foliage out to the runway, then turn right into the bike path which is all brush with a few little artifacts randomly sitting off the edge of the pavement. When you do the bike loop you come back to the same point if the runway you entered the path at. You turn right and go all the way to the end of the runway where Serenity Bay is. Along the runway is brush and vegetation. Trams will pass you. Circle around the runway end, go back to the bike path, make the bike path circle a 2nd time, then back to where you started from. I'd say 95% of the scenery is pavement and brush. No shade. There's a few water cooler stations along the way.

In September when we ran it the heat was excruciating. Especially when you make the bike path loop, the closed in path (a little wider than a golf cart path) with the brush allows zero air movement. It was like running in an oven. The runway rivaled the bike path in that it felt like running on a frying pan. But at least you felt the air move a little. And if we fell over dead from the heat on the runway there were more people to come scrape you up fairly quickly. Lol! It'd be better if they ran the thing before the sun was up so high. The sun is brutal. We ran at about 9 or so. I'd say the heat was easily 90+ by then.

So, yeah, my youngest (then 14) & I ran the CC 5k once on our first cruise. Subsequent cruises I've used my CC time for leisure. I'd rather run deck 4 on the ship when its cooler, breezier, and there's scenery to enjoy. That's just me, tho. ;)

JillC LI

Do it! I ran the ToT 13K (back when it was a 13K) because it happened to fall during a previously booked trip. It sounds like fun.

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I'll probably end up doing it! I mean I'm going to be there and it's not going to take very so I'll still be able to explore the island and relax!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom