Disney Bans Kids from Victoria & ALberts

donaldfan

Here's to hoping that the California Grill will be next. I'm a teacher, I adore kids. Its just really nice to get a break from them and have a quiet adults only dinner.

CA Grill is our fave -- and I would LOVE to see that policy put into place there. Nothing against children, its just nice to have a quiet dinner while you're on vaca. I thoroughly enjoy going to character meals and watching children's reactions to the characters too.

Once on DCL, I watched a parent absolutely berate the staff at Palo (our other fave) because he would not seat their family with the children. They offered complimentary child sitting service, take them to the kid's club, whatever. But the parent wanted the staff to change the policy for him. How ridiculous!!! What about all the other people who specifically were eating there to have a relaxed, quiet evening. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Whoa, now wait a minute on that one! That is the single best place at MK to watch the fireworks on the roof, I highly doubt you will ever ban children from that location and I don't think they should myself. I'm sure every child that has seen them from up there will always remember that night for the rest of their lives. Why would you want to stop children from having such memories?:brick:There is a big difference from a stuffy meal mainly for adults and not much else to a cool place on top of the Contemporary with the best view of the MK fireworks.:eek:
I tend to agree. IMHO Jiko's would be the next logical place to get this ban if it does in fact spread out of V&A.

Who would bring a child to a place that sells hamburger meat for $150?

Of course I have never eaten there, and if I did, I would misbehave out of spite for the prices. Looks like they need to ban 28 year old teachers as well.

But, if you think about it, in a way, they did . . .

bugsbunny

No, i wasn't actually being serious in saying you raise a kid like a puppy...or vice versa.

What I driving at was that I see so many parents that just want to be their child's "buddy" rather than be the "bad" buy. Kids are kids and they want to act like one. No doubt there. However, its the parents job and responsibility to reel them in when they go overboard and if needed, serve out some stern discipline.

I've actually seen kids tell their parents to F-off; shut the F up you don't know what your talking about, etc. I'm not making this up and I've seen it with kids as young as 8. And when I did see it, every time it basically ended along the lines of "I can't believe you are talking to me like that. When we get home we are going to straighten things out!" Get home? No wonder your kid is a punk. He knows you won't do anything about it!

For ANY person here that has a kid, would you let your kid drop the f-bomb in your presence? How about in public and they are directing at you?

If I did something like that to my mother or father when I was that age, I wouldn't have remembered doing it. My memory would be hazy execpt for waking up in the back of an ambulance with gauze packed in all my orifices to stop the bleeding.

I actually think its a real shame that they have to put an age level on entrance to the place. Any well behaved kid deserves to go anywhere he wants, IMHO. And a thumbs up to the parents that allow me to enjoy my dinner in peace and quiet when it does happen.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I agree with banning children from V&A's and with the desire to create a calm, romantic, risk-free atmosphere for those dining there. Frankly, if I'm paying $400 for a dinner for two, I'd want to be able to know that all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure my meal will be distraction-free.

I'd think Jiko, Artist Point, California Grill, and maybe the Yachtsman's Steakhouse would be the potential extensions, along with upstairs at Wolfgang Puck's.

Conceptually, I'm not against creating child-free restaurants, but I hope expansion of this policy is slow or doesn't happen. Why? Because Disney World is about the only place where I would feel comfortable taking my 4-year-old son to a nice restaurant. He is (almost) always happy, very willing to sit through a long meal as long as he has something to look at, and, for reasons I cannot understand, he loves going to restaurants of all kinds. Of course, he also exhibits 4 year old tendencies at time, which means that sometimes he'll start laughing, singing, kicking his chair, etc.

At home, we'd never take him to a really nice place, because we believe he/we would be unwelcome (not necessarily denied entry, but unwelcome). At Disney, however, policy is welcoming to little kids, and most patrons seem accepting of this, so we can take him anywhere. I hope we don't have that ability severely restricted.

cdunbar

Well the few times I have been to CG I haven't seen very many children. But I mean as someone who, as a child, went to nice dinners with her parents I can understand while some children and parents alike might not like this new policy. If they stick to the policy at just V&A I believe thats fine, but if they extend the policy beyond that I believe that it's going to coast Disney a pretty penny. I think this because most people come to Disney for their children and appreciate Disney because unlike lots of theme parks parents can eat excellent food and still entertain their children. So I don't personally think this will happen.

TwoTigersMom

Completely agree. There should be a few places that adults can spend some kid free time at WDW. V&A is definitely one of those places.

I wonder how long it will before other high end Disney resturants adopt this same policy?

Ohhh I hope not! :eek:

I tend to agree. IMHO Jiko's would be the next logical place to get this ban if it does in fact spread out of V&A.

Ok I give, you guys can have Cali Grill, just paaaleeze leave us Jiko & Narcoosees. :lol:

Seriously though, I've been to V&A's several times and we did see a child there once. She looked to be about 11 or 12 and was bored out of her head. Her mother had let her bring in a hand held video game and her grandparents freaked out and started fussing with her when she took it out to play it.

I take my kids with me most everywhere we go. They have been to some extremely nice restaurants including Emeril's. However, there are some places I would not and have not taken them such as V&A's. I can understand the ban at V&A's no problem. I just hope Disney realizes that some parents can behave when taking their children out and they do enjoy nice meals. My 6 year old's favorite restaurant on Disney property is Flying Fish Cafe.

fredtom

now how about banning kids from two specific pleasure island clubs :zipit:

I second that as well. I think this is a good move and would also like to see an age restriction in place at all the PI clubs and even some other signature restaurants. DCL has adult only public deck areas, as well as night clubs, and Palo restaurant.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

rad_rat

Two observations:

A couple of people have talked about implementing a "no kids" policy at California Grill. I've only eaten there once, and I have to say it was one of the noisiest restaurants I've eaten at WDW, but not because of any kids. In fact, I don't recall seeing any kids there that night. But what I do recall is how loud the noise from the open kitchen was, and how loud all the fancy-dressed adults sitting at the bar were. Our table location probably contributed to that -- I think some of the outlying rooms are quieter -- but my advice to people looking for a quiet, intimate dinner is to avoid California Grill. I don't think implementing a no kids policy would change that.

And about raising kids: there is no magic formula for well-behaved kids. I wish there were, 'cause then I'd write a book about it, become filthy rich selling the same, and the world would be full of well-behaved kids! The "one-size-fits-all" approach to child rearing just doesn't work -- at least not in the world in which I live. There are just too many unknowns. Case in point: how many of us know a family with two kids, one of which is very well-behaved and the other one of which is a total monster? I suspect we can all think of at least one such family we know. Now tell me: what happened? Did the parents raise the kids differently? Did they decide to discipline one, and let the other have no discipline? I think not. So don't be too quick to judge the parents. Each kid is different and applying the same formula -- new or old school -- to each one doesn't guarantee the same results. While thinking parents are lazy is an easy accusation to make, when I look into it I find most parents are doing the best they can. No parent wants to have a disruptive, undisciplined kid -- at least no parent that I know of!

So those of us with little angels have no reason to be smug in regards to those who don't.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Here's to hoping that the California Grill will be next. I'm a teacher, I adore kids. Its just really nice to get a break from them and have a quiet adults only dinner.

I agree 100%. I am also a teacher, but sometimes all I want is to be anywhere that children aren't. I have been to V&A once and of course there was a 7 year old there. She was fairly well behaved, but she got loud and disruptive a few times. Her father thankfully took her outside those times though.

I think this is a good move on Disney's part. After all, people who dine at V&A are spending massive amounts of money on a dinner. They should be able to enjoy their meal in peace and quiet. Honestly, I am surprised they only raised the age to 10. I would have thought they would have gone for 16 as the age minimum.

I am on the fence about CA Grill. It is a very nice place of course and they offer a children's menu. However, even the things on the kids menu require a child with fairly sophisticated tastes to really be enjoyed. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the next restaurant to get a ban on young children.

As for certain PI clubs, I think children have absolutely no business in either of those places. Nightclubs are nightclubs. Alcohol is served in great quantity throughout PI and its just a stupid policy that children are allowed in certain places. :brick:

disneydopey

While I agree that its probably a place kids should't be as its not their kind of place there is something about it being an outright ban seeming not a Disney thing to do. Isn't Disney a place for children and with this being a Disney hotel it too should be for children and not have them banned. I would have thought just the price and not having a kids menu would be enough without having a full blown ban!:confused:

tigsmom

While I agree that its probably a place kids should't be as its not their kind of place there is something about it being an outright ban seeming not a Disney thing to do. Isn't Disney a place for children and with this being a Disney hotel it too should be for children and not have them banned. I would have thought just the price and not having a kids menu would be enough without having a full blown ban!:confused:

The hotel and the other restaurants all welcome children. This one restaurant is quite different from all the others, its very expensive, has a strict dress code and does not have food geared towards small children. The expense will not deter all people as money is no object for some people ( I should be cursed with that problem :lol: ).

As I said earlier, I have no problem with this, but I really wouldn't like to see it spread to other restaurants as this is really a one of a kind experience in WDW.

RussJT

I have two children under the age of 10. (DS8 & DD5). Despite that, I have no problems with this decision. I understand that there are times / places where adults want to be around adults (or more grown up children).

Good move by Disney.

shoppingnut

I agree CG is one of the most noisiest restaurants I've been to and for that reason have no interest in eating there.

If there were two restaurants that I could see being next, I would think it would be Jiko and Cirtricos going that way. And, as far as them losing money doing this, I do not believe that would happen, because you have to wonder how many people are going off property to other restaurants that don't allow kids. I have met several people at WDW that were doing just that and I myself have done it. There are times that I want a quiet meal and that is something disney has overlooked at WDW in their run to be kid friendly, it has worked on their cruise ships, so why not WDW.

And, as for parenting changing with a second child, yes it does, I've seen it with my brother's kids. First, you've learned things from the first one, second, you are now older and with two of them you decide to pick your battles where before you might have battled more. It's not exactly the same as the enviroment will be varied by many things.

Captain Hank

I'm a bit surprised that this didn't happen sooner. Though I've never been to Victoria and Albert's, from hearing about it, the restaraunt seemed to cater primarily, if not exclusively, to adults. Did they even have a children's menu? Keep in mind that there continue to be, literally, hundreds of restaraunts on property that welcome children under 10, several of extremely good quality.

shoppingnut

Disney is a place for adults too, not just kids. You'd be surprised by how many people with plenty of $$$'s would bring their kids. And you couldn't even make it a suggestion because they are the same people that would think everyone wants to be with their kids. A ban is really the only way to go. I can only assume that this decision on the ban was not make lightly and was the result of some incidents at the restaurant.

Treats the symptoms and not the cure. ;) You want to make a better dining atmosphere? How about the parents just get off their and do some parenting?

There are just too many loud mouth ignoramous kids out there and you need to look no further than the parents to see that the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. The parents either just pretend that the kids are invisible or that they don't want to hand out any discipline because they don't want to upset their super precious offspring.

One thing I've learned is that educating puppies or children have a lot of parallels. Rule#1: put the fear of God in them at least once. As soon they understand who is really in charge, everything tends to fall into place when it comes to listening. And before you jump on me for comarping kids to puppies, I'm not. I'm just paralleling the mindset of how you teach right from wrong. I have a 3 year old that everyone tells me is the most polite and intelligent 3 year old they have ever seen. So I have to be doing at least part of this parenting correct. ;) I'm certainly no Brittany Spears.

Aren't there any people here that fondly remember actually fearing the consequences of doing something stupid and then having to face your parent's wrath? Or is everyone here under 25 years old and doesn't know what ol'school parenting is all about? :p

I couldn't agree more whole heartedly! I may not agree with the delivery, and it may be slightly off topic, but believe you me I am a "fear me mommy". I also am the proud parent of two unbelievably polite children (I can be frequently overheard claiming that if nothing else I've raised polite kids, maybe not the best behaved, but polite). However, all parents have different parenting styles, and for me it's a to each their own kind of thing. I do feel that there is some kind of epidemic of no fear children where there are no consequences or repercussions. And this falls in line with the are people in general becoming ruder at the World, kind of questioning. But that is for another thread...

Anyhoo...although I have never yet had the opportunity to experience V&A's I would only like to enjoy it with just my husband. And I have two very young children (my DD just turned 4, and my son is just 17 months), who I could not trust to behave themselves in such a ritzy establishment, nor would I want to ruin anyone else's romantic evening by hearing myself or my husband telling our daughter that if she doesn't behave mommy is going to have to take her into the bathroom.

Just my two cents...or four cents...or eight cents....:lookaroun

WDWFigment

Treats the symptoms and not the cure. ;) You want to make a better dining atmosphere? How about the parents just get off their and do some parenting?

There are just too many loud mouth ignoramous kids out there and you need to look no further than the parents to see that the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. The parents either just pretend that the kids are invisible or that they don't want to hand out any discipline because they don't want to upset their super precious offspring.

One thing I've learned is that educating puppies or children have a lot of parallels. Rule#1: put the fear of God in them at least once. As soon they understand who is really in charge, everything tends to fall into place when it comes to listening. And before you jump on me for comarping kids to puppies, I'm not. I'm just paralleling the mindset of how you teach right from wrong. I have a 3 year old that everyone tells me is the most polite and intelligent 3 year old they have ever seen. So I have to be doing at least part of this parenting correct. ;) I'm certainly no Brittany Spears.

Aren't there any people here that fondly remember actually fearing the consequences of doing something stupid and then having to face your parent's wrath? Or is everyone here under 25 years old and doesn't know what ol'school parenting is all about? :p

All this discourse about the 'real' problem is great, but completely irrelevant. Disney can't be reasonably expected to give "Parenting 101" crash courses before allowing patrons to dine in a restaurant. Since they have no ability to speak to the real cause (which I agree with), they address what they can--allowing children under 10, in the first place. Great decision!

If you're upset that your toddler is well behaved enough to eat at V&A, good for you, go to California Grill, or one of the many other upscale restaurants at WDW. Subjective policies aren't exactly easy to enforce...

boopuff

I think the "ban" is a breath of fresh air. Call me crazy, but I never took my kids to an upscale restaurant when they were tiny. In fact we avoided "white tablecloth" places until my kids were old enough to act properly. We just got back from WDW and ate at a couple of nice restaurants - Flying Fish, Coral Reef - kids running amok. When I spend big bucks on dinner I want peace and quiet.
As for PI - NO kids ever. The last time were were at AC there were kids - around 10 years old - and the actors toned down the show because of them. I resent that. A night club is a night club....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom