Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

DKampy

I know we have. I lived it. But that doesn't mean actresses who worked their butts off and won an Oscar 60 years ago weren't talented. Or that actresses today who aren't deaf can play a deaf character, because they can... act.
I Never said actresses were not talented 60 years ago… or actresses were not talented enough to pull it off, but why would you…. When you have perfectly capable deaf actress

celluloid

I Never said actresses were not talented 60 years ago… or actresses were not talented enough to pull it off, but why would you…. When you have perfectly capable deaf actress

That is a question to a casting director. The big thing is, being ok with whatever their answer is as they are trusted being the casting director if they still chose the performer who performed better in their mind for the part.

brideck

This is a very odd hill for you to stand on… especially when you have not and will not watch the show

Your head will probably explode to know the film CODA hired 3 deaf actors to play 3 (gasp) deaf characters

Sound of Metal had another pile of deaf actors in it as well (although the two nominated actors from that were hearing, which is fine considering what the role was, and a CODA), with as far as I can recall, no overlap in casting.

It's almost like deaf actors and ASL have been having a moment these past few years, which will hopefully just become a normal part of the film landscape.

BuddyThomas

Sound of Metal had another pile of deaf actors in it as well (although the two nominated actors from that were hearing, which is fine considering what the role was, and a CODA), with as far as I can recall, no overlap in casting.

It's almost like deaf actors and ASL have been having a moment these past few years, which will hopefully just become a normal part of the film landscape.
And the new Broadway musical, How to Dance in Ohio, about autistic people, cast autistic people in the autistic roles.

brideck

There's nothing coming out from any of Disney's flagship studios until Memorial Day weekend when 20th Century Pictures releases Planet Of The Apes 9: Weekend At Charlton's. And then Inside Out 2 is in June.

How soon we forget The First Omen coming from 20th Century in April. Literally anything could happen with a horror release, so I would never try to guess at the performance of a movie like that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How soon we forget The First Omen coming from 20th Century in April. Literally anything could happen with a horror release, so I would never try to guess at the performance of a movie like that.
And let us not forget that Disney is releasing the pandemic D+ movies of Soul, Luca, and Turning Red, one a month starting this weekend.

Not to mention that at any point Disney can also move up any movie release between now and April if they want.

There isn't any major movie being released to theaters for any studio until March anyways.

Last edited:

Farerb

Pixar's origin story and early success is really quite impressive. And I would have agreed with you on keeping Pixar in Emeryville in 2015. But now? It's movies are fairly indistinguishable from WDAS, so why the need for two separate lavishly funded studios that both make the same type of movies that both fail to break even at the box office?

Even after making fun of it on this forum for most of the past year, I still sometimes forget that Strange World was not a Pixar movie; it looked like Pixar, acted like Pixar, and was non-musical like Pixar. I have to remind myself it was WDAS.

So why in the 2020's would you need two separate studios 400 miles apart making nearly the same products; far enough away from each other to not share most resources, but close enough to seem wasteful???

TP2000 Plan For Animation Success: Merge Pixar into WDAS, shut down the Emeryville studio and sell the land to the homeless industrial complex for Druggy Tiny Homes, lay off a lot of duplicative staff and administration at both properties, and set the new organization up in the lavish Disney Animation studios complex in Burbank. Princessy, musical, fantasy based animation gets branded "Walt Disney", and contemporary, SciFi and non-musical animation gets branded "Pixar". They'd save a lot of money and future heartache by just getting that over with and merging the two studios.

The shareholders can thank me later.
The merger between Pixar and Disney Animation is imminent:

‘Significant’ Layoffs To Hit Pixar In 2024 – Report

LittleBuford

That’s not my take. Quoting the article:

An undisputed point in both the Techcrunch and Reuters stories is that the layoffs are primarily due to the extra people that Pixar hired to work on its Disney+ streaming projects, such as the upcoming Win or Lose. Those projects have now completed production and Disney CEO Bob Iger has curtailed investment in streaming until that segment become profitable, which he is “confident” will happen by the end of 2024.​

TP2000

Layoffs in Emeryville are a good first step, and not surprising considering the disastrous 2023 that Disney had at the box office.

But honestly they just need to close up shop in Emeryville and move Pixar down to Burbank as a branding tool for their animation offerings. Something tells me these aren't the last layoffs we'll hear about from Disney in the next few months...

Tha Realest

It's not funny, but it is a very good reason he will never work at Disney again.
His/her comment was clearly a joke, and your comment acknowledged it as such. Nice try walking it back. Hard to take the high road of why Lasseter is a terrible person while also trivializing what he’s been accused of.

TP2000

Box office is in for Thursday, previewing the upcoming holiday weekend for Reverend King. A gaggle of new movies are opening this weekend to celebrate. 🥳

It will be interesting to see how many theaters Wish loses this weekend, as there's absolutely no reason why it needs 900 of them.

Can I Borrow 600 Theaters Please.jpg

brideck

It will be interesting to see how many theaters Wish loses this weekend, as there's absolutely no reason why it needs 900 of them.

Not sure, but it's definitely still got more screens in Utah than Poor Things does (I can find 5 for PT, for the record), which makes total sense. I hear that's where all the hippest, most knowledgeable moviegoers are. ;)

I also just noticed the per-screen average for Poor Things and its week-over-week hold (the best on the chart outside of the recently expanded indies with positive numbers). She's got legs, and she knows how to use them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom