News Disney announces strategic restructuring of media and entertainment divisions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only Sunday NFL package I can see them snatch, if any, is the AFC package from CBS.

ViacomCBS still has a merger to dogest and they've recently said they'll drop SEC football in 2023. Not good signs when you're trying to keep NFL. And they definitely don't want a repeat of 1994.
Whatever...nfc is for the Billies anyway

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
FYI y'all...

Slpy3270

Those not happy with Alan Horn right now at the Studios will be glad to hear he's past retirement age and that co-chair Alan Bergman is increasingly being positioned to replace Horn once the day comes.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Speaking of bad takes...

Yeah, those are bad takes. It's hard to say what Parks/Live Sporting Events/etc. will look like for the next year for Disney, but they're not going anywhere and especially the parks will take center stage again when the time comes.

To each their own. I much prefer Avengers and mainline MCU films over Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The economics of streaming only as an outlet only allows for one of those.

The economics of streaming show us what, exactly? Considering we haven't had a true tentpole movie on a streaming service as of yet?

Dan Deesnee

I think this is fantastic news personally. I'd rather have 15 new moderate budget movies / shows on D+ every year as opposed to 5 giant budget movies in the theater (that may or may not even be any good).

For anyone with an interest in characters and stories that aren't ultra main stream (like Marvel, Frozen, etc.) this is a great change. It opens the door for more mid to small tier characters for projects. Like maybe a new Figment movie / series, Rescuers 3, a Mr. Toad show / movie, Pixar characters in their own series' / sequels, more holiday specials, etc.

The downside of this is if interesting new intellectual properties either get canceled or never realize their full potential. Like that new Pixar movie about the two kids in Italy and one is the water spirit or something.

zengoth

Surprised "home video" (dvd/bluray) has enough legs to be mentioned as future plans. Disney is now working thru 4K titles and then taking advantage of their Fox acquisitions, but in a few years, I see dvd/bluray become a more "collectors item" than decent revenue stream. Not something i'm happy about personally, but the writing's been on the wall for physical media for a decade or more.

Lilofan

"On Monday, the company revealed that in order to further accelerate its direct-to-consumer strategy, it would be centralizing its media businesses into a single organization that will be responsible for content distribution, ad sales and Disney+.

Shares of the company jumped nearly 5% during after hours trading."

"As part of this reorganization, Disney has promoted Kareem Daniel, the former president of games and publishing within Disney’s consumer products division. He will now oversee the new media and entertainment distribution group.

He’ll be in charge of making sure streaming becomes profitable, as the company continues to invest heavily in its various streaming products. Daniels will hold the reins to all of the company’s streaming services and domestic television networks, including all content distribution, sales and advertising."

Reorganizing Disney’s media business

"Alan Horn and Alan Bergman will remain in charge of the company’s studios, Peter Rice will continue to head the company’s general entertainment group and James Pitaro will stay as head of the company’s sports content.

All will report directly to CEO Bob Chapek. The company’s parks, experiences and products segment will remain under the leadership of Josh D’Amaro and Rebecca Campbell will remain on as the chairman of direct-to-consumer and international operations. Campbell will report directly to Chapek for all things related to international operations but will report to Daniel when it comes to Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+."

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” Chapek said in a statement announcing the reorganization. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it.”

"Under Horn and Bergman, the studios segment will focus on creating content for theatrical release, Disney+ and Hulu. Walt Disney Studios, Marvel Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures all fall under their perview."

"This new structure is effective immediately. The company currently expects to transition its financial reporting to reflect these changes beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2021.

Additionally, Disney announced that it will hold a virtual investor day on Dec. 10."

True to Iger's spoken word of further promoting diversity in TWDC, Chapek gave more responsibility to and promoted Kareem Daniel. He is the first black executive in TWDC to report to the CEO.

Slpy3270

Surprised "home video" (dvd/bluray) has enough legs to be mentioned as future plans. Disney is now working thru 4K titles and then taking advantage of their Fox acquisitions, but in a few years, I see dvd/bluray become a more "collectors item" than decent revenue stream. Not something i'm happy about personally, but the writing's been on the wall for physical media for a decade or more.
Criterion has been thriving under that niche market. Disney should think about licensing more titles to them.

Animaniac93-98

Criterion has been thriving under that niche market. Disney should think about licensing more titles to them.

I wish they would. Or with Shout! Factory, or anyone really if they're not going to bother doing it themselves anymore.

It's been a year since the last Disney Movie Club exclusive Blu-ray and DVD title.

_caleb

Yeah, those are bad takes. It's hard to say what Parks/Live Sporting Events/etc. will look like for the next year for Disney, but they're not going anywhere and especially the parks will take center stage again when the time comes.

The economics of streaming show us what, exactly? Considering we haven't had a true tentpole movie on a streaming service as of yet?
Does Mulan not count?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Does Mulan not count?
Fair question. Does Mulan count as a tent pole movie? I think when it was coming out, sure. I think that movie moved to the back of many people's minds as I don't recall a ton of advertising leading up to it coming out on D+.

I would love to see a Marvel movie debut on D+ and get a true sense of what that does to the needle.

Slpy3270

I would love to see some of the Disney films get the full Criterion treatment. Their essays and special features are so well produced.
On the other hand, animated movies are not really Criterion's schtick.

Plus, I'm worried Disney could end up giving them garbage to get the Criterion treatment, like they did with Armageddon and The Rock (the latter film kind of makes sense, the former...not so much).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fair question. Does Mulan count as a tent pole movie? I think when it was coming out, sure. I think that movie moved to the back of many people's minds as I don't recall a ton of advertising leading up to it coming out on D+.

I would love to see a Marvel movie debut on D+ and get a true sense of what that does to the needle.

Yes, but budget alone it would be considered tentpole.

It suffered from it's theatrical release date being moved three or four times.

_caleb

I agree.

I do think we're going to see a blurring of lines between "television series," "feature film," and well, every other category of filmmaking. Just like Netflix originals are moving away from the traditional 24-minute and 44-minute lengths, streaming means that the old categories and limitations are becoming passé (see "Quibi" and even TikTok).

My point is that I'm not sure the blockbuster-style, "tent-pole" films are going to be a thing in the streaming future. Streaming services won't be going after one big audience, but trying to go deep with lots of smaller, niche audiences. Sure, some movies will be huge, but I think the Disney's (and all the studios') big bet is on the streaming platform itself rather than any content for that platform.

Jrb1979

I agree.

I do think we're going to see a blurring of lines between "television series," "feature film," and well, every other category of filmmaking. Just like Netflix originals are moving away from the traditional 24-minute and 44-minute lengths, streaming means that the old categories and limitations are becoming passé (see "Quibi" and even TikTok).

My point is that I'm not sure the blockbuster-style, "tent-pole" films are going to be a thing in the streaming future. Streaming services won't be going after one big audience, but trying to go deep with lots of smaller, niche audiences. Sure, some movies will be huge, but I think the Disney's (and all the studios') big bet is on the streaming platform itself rather than any content for that platform.
I frankly hate all this streaming junk. While cable has been getting expensive at least I get live TV and live sports something that streaming services don't give you. To be honest I have yet to find any original series that any of the services have put out to be good. It feels like nobody likes live TV anymore.

pwnbeaver

Extraction was the first big tentpole film designed to be released through streaming exclusively that was a huge success. They tried it a couple of times before but that was the big hit. We don't know enough about numbers to conclude if it was a big deal for Netflix, but Netflix continuing to invest in projects like that show that it must have moved the needle. Contrary to popular belief, they don't just throw money at everything as seen in their cancellation of Dark Crystal and their decision not to continue funding the new Star Trek shows.

Streaming is the future. Why would people, especially young people who have grown up with this tech and understand it more than older people ever will, purposely go back to the more expensive and less convenient option? It's like asking people to start hand washing clothes again when a washing machine is in the basement or on the corner of the street.

Personally, I hate the new model of video games where they give you a game for "free" then charge you for small items within the game. I understand that this is the future profit model though and I will be left in the dust by Gen Z who have grown up with and accepted this model. It sucks for me, but I can just do something else. I won't get too hung up on this.

I'm looking forward to the internal combustion engine being completely phased out, which can feasibly happen within the next twenty years (five if the auto and oil industries actually cared about the environment). That is going to cause endless complaints from people too, probably way more than theatres moving into small boutique markets rather than being a media juggernaut.

Time moves forward, humanity does too. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad, but I have serious issues caring about media formats. I've lived in China and South Korea. I know what it's like to see a maximum of one star at night year round. I know what it's like to have a full year with less than five days of blue sky. I know what it's like to breathe exhaust on a medium smog day in Beijing. Movie distribution doesn't really matter in the end.

Let the media change and let corporations figure out their next methods of keeping us placated while earning money. I'd rather sit at home and experience whatever new TV show is on than head out to a noisy and annoying theatre to watch a mindless movie.

Us young people do go outside, we are just more interested in going out for big things like concerts, festivals, conventions, or trips rather than hanging around the local town every weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom