Disney Announces New Nature Resort on Bay Lake

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Guests will realize now more than ever is the perfect time to experience all of the fun and magic of a Walt Disney World vacation.

Is it me, or is the PR department working really hard to convince people to visit?

This press release is one MAGICAL!!! piece of fluff. But that's why this site exists, right, to burn thru the fluff and get to the meat? :) Makes one wonder... if they build during the down times to prepare for the up times, does that mean TDO and TWDC considers WDW in a "down time"?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We don’t yet have enough information to know what the theme might be other than the vague theme of nature. But certainly the setting will be a modern hotel built in a wooded area next to a lake.

Maybe "vague theme of nature" is the theme? ;) Gives them lots of wiggle room.

Sir_Cliff

We don’t yet have enough information to know what the theme might be other than the vague theme of nature. But certainly the setting will be a modern hotel built in a wooded area next to a lake.
All of that points to the fact they are moving away from themed resorts in the traditional sense of the term.

They have just issued a press release for a hotel that they don't even have a name for yet and concept art that just looks like a reasonably (though not exceptionally) well-designed hotel. Couple that with what we've seen for the new Coronado Springs tower and the little we have to go on for the Riviera hotel (onto which people were projecting themes ranging from the South of France to the Yucatan Peninsula), and it's obvious a decision has been made to move away from the traditional approach to building themed resorts for the time being.

Again, some will welcome this and some will not. I prefer subtler theming in the resorts such as the new CBR lobby/foodcourt as compared to the old, though that is still obviously themed.

peter11435

All of that points to the fact they are moving away from themed resorts in the traditional sense of the term.

They have just issued a press release for a hotel that they don't even have a name for yet and concept art that just looks like a reasonably (though not exceptionally) well-designed hotel. Couple that with what we've seen for the new Coronado Springs tower and the little we have to go on for the Riviera hotel (onto which people were projecting themes ranging from the South of France to the Yucatan Peninsula), and it's obvious a decision has been made to move away from the traditional approach to building themed resorts for the time being.

Again, some will welcome this and some will not. I prefer subtler theming in the resorts such as the new CBR lobby/foodcourt as compared to the old, though that is still obviously themed.
It’s certainly a departure from what became the norm for most Walt Disney World resorts throughout the 90s. However it is not the first resort that Disney has built or even the first that they have built at Walt Disney World that doesn’t fall in line with the traditional theme of another time or place. This is also not the first time they have announced a new resort without a name yet.

LSLS

Honestly the hotel looks nice, it just doesn't say Disney at all to me. It is completely accurate to say that it's a single picture and that we don't know how the rest of the resort will go. Personally, I'm not that optimistic based on the most recent hotel additions, but I'm not going to crack on it yet.

The Empress Lilly

With every new hotel at the lakes the unifying concept of a seven seas area is further abandoned.

'Persian, Asian, Venetian / Mediterranean, Polynesian, contemporary American'.
The first three unbuild. The Polynesian and contemporary American losing their common concept of big centre high rise with sprawling wings along the way. Then the Floridian, which followed its own design altogether but at least paid lipservice to being a geographical location. Then the Wilderness resort, which is looks set in the northwest of the Americas but has no real place whatsover. And now just a nature one.

On the upside, perhaps a new common theme is being developed along Bay Lake's southern shore. Wilderness resort, Nature Resort, and Fort Wilderness. If TDO weren't so sad and uninspiring, they could develop some nature trails, perhaps reopen Discovery Island with a new theme.

PizzaPlanet

full

Naw.

disneyland-hotel.jpg
Not quite sure what you're trying to say. The Contemporary was pre-Eisner, so that doesn't really have anything to do with my point. Regardless, they should be building upon their greatest resort concepts, not reverting back to something they built in the 70s. And that Paris hotel in your second photo is gorgeous.

Bob Harlem

I'm not sure about this one. Closer to all stars, or mid level? It almost looks like the Dollywood Dreammore Hotel, but not as nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom