Disney Announces New Nature Resort on Bay Lake

Lensman

But the top one has the fancy mid-century-inspired portico!
I'd say this resort is mid-century modern architecture, but I can't decide whether they've chosen a flat or shed roof. The nature-inspired aspect is probably due to the stone and natural finished wood and exterior, which is also common for this architectural period.

The slatted wood ceiling for the porte cochere is also rather a mid-century modern touch.

I'm not sure whether this amounts to a theme, but it is a somewhat cohesive architecture. It's not a cookie cutter Springhill Suites knockoff, or any other chain hotel, for that matter. Let's not hyperbolize.

Ripken10

I'd say this resort is mid-century modern architecture, but I can't decide whether they've chosen a flat or shed roof. The nature-inspired aspect is probably due to the stone and natural finished wood and exterior, which is also common for this architectural period.

The slatted wood ceiling for the porte cochere is also rather a mid-century modern touch.

I'm not sure whether this amounts to a theme, but it is a somewhat cohesive architecture. It's not a cookie cutter Springhill Suites knockoff, or any other chain hotel, for that matter. Let's not hyperbolize.
I look at this and get excited. Still early, but I see some pretty good possibilities here. I am more excited for this than the Riviera, but I don't like this location as much as the Riviera.

Missing20K

Ok I'm not going to try and defend the Disney design as it's only a rendering. I won't go as far as calling these a one-to-one comparison, either.

First, the finishes of the above are of a far higher quality and in greater use than those below. Finishes are a large percentage of the cost of a building and can make or break how one experiences it. As well as a larger percentage of glazing.

Second, smaller details such as the "woodwork joints" of what appear to be a Japanese influence, as well as some smaller cantilevered roofs, common in Wright's and Greene and Greene's work and those of their imitators/successors, and the Arts & Crafts movement generally.

Third, the above appears to have a greater articulation of form, both in plan and elevation. Equaling a higher cost of construction.

Fourth, someone must have slipped me a mickey at lunch cause it almost sounds like I'm defending this design. I'm really not. :hilarious: Still looks like it would be a "lightly themed" resort in Missing20k's Official Guidebook to Disney Resort Theming Categories. Look for it soon on Amazon.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Ok I'm not going to try and defend the Disney design as it's only a rendering. I won't go as far as calling these a one-to-one comparison, either.

First, the finishes of the above are of a far higher quality and in greater use than those below. Finishes are a large percentage of the cost of a building and can make or break how one experiences it. As well as a larger percentage of glazing.

Second, smaller details such as the "woodwork joints" of what appear to be a Japanese influence, as well as some smaller cantilevered roofs, common in Wright's and Greene and Greene's work and those of their imitators/successors, and the Arts & Crafts movement generally.

Third, the above appears to have a greater articulation of form, both in plan and elevation. Equaling a higher cost of construction.

Fourth, someone must have slipped me a mickey at lunch cause it almost sounds like I'm defending this design. I'm really not. :hilarious: Still looks like it would be a "lightly themed" resort in Missing20k's Official Guidebook to Disney Resort Theming Categories. Look for it soon on Amazon.
As you said at the onset, “a rendering.”

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Honestly the hotel looks nice, it just doesn't say Disney at all to me. It is completely accurate to say that it's a single picture and that we don't know how the rest of the resort will go. Personally, I'm not that optimistic based on the most recent hotel additions, but I'm not going to crack on it yet.
It's like the difference between the El Tovar and the Thunderbird lodges at the Grand Canyon.

Lensman

I'm not sure which of the two threads to post this in, but bioreconstruct posted an aerial for us. Maybe we could consider this the "before" shot?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I believe this may be the Project 89 alluded to in a recent SFWMD permit for geotech drillings over at River Country. Great for WDW and for adding another hotel, but a shame that whatever ecological value lost with forest/wetlands disturbed for this project can never be replaced with a LEED certification or US Green Buildings Council accolade. I'm not anti-development by any means but there are certainly less ecologically sensitive lands in the resort for them to build a "green" hotel.

FWIW- the Reedy Creek Improvement District classifies wetlands as Class I or Class II- Class I wetlands are wetlands with conservation easements, in an existing Wildland Management/Conservation Area, or critical habitat for threatened/endangered species. Class II wetlands are everything else. You generally can't build on Class I wetlands in WDW (they're marked as conservation on the land use maps) but you can build on Class II in some circumstances-- they get marked "agriculture" or "resource management" on the maps and can be set aside for future development even if a policy exists to not disturb wetlands.

There are only two types of wetlands at WDW, ones they have built on, and ones they will eventually build on. ;)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Oh ok. Yes. They are both renderings. One is a decent rendering of a slightly above average building. One is a junk rendering of a slightly below average building. I will let everyone here choose which is which for themselves. :devilish:
Well, I’ll try not to blame TWDC for such a junk rendering then....

eddie104

It is what i expected it to look like based on other WATG designs and I'm happy with it however not opening until 2022 leaves a lot of time for things to change.

Naplesgolfer

There are many who post Disney is raising prices in order to cut down the crowds yet they announce they are adding 1700 additional rooms (increase crowds). In the words of Vinny Barbarino "I'm so confused"

This is 1/2 DVC. They have made Billions selling DVC rooms. These will be over 200 per point when they come on line in 2023/24. Also DVC rooms are by definition always full and have a guaranteed group of people coming to the park. The perfect business model from Disney's perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom