Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

BrianLo

I honestly don't know what that means.

The marketing budget is not spent entirely on the theatrical window. But you only want to calculate profitability on the theatrical window. But count money literally spent on marketing DVD’s and streaming rights. Or portions of the marketing budgets paid for by partners.

So if you took half what you are calculating as the marketing for the theatrical window and ignored the other half (since it’s spent on the post theatrical release), your numbers would be accurate.

Aka 1/4. I clarified exactly the modification you need to make right below my post. And probably 50 other times. Which is why I accused you of trolling me, whether that is accurate or not. I am literally just trying to help you make your calculations more accurate to match the financial reports and have been for the better part of 6 months.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Remind me again, what's your narrative on why Strange World, Lightyear, Little Mermaid and The Marvels all tanked at the box office?

I remember what my narrative was;

That’s my point… I’m not trying to analyze the box office to support a single narrative.

You are often looking for faults in movies that, sometimes, don’t even exist. Because you haven’t even seen these movies. I think every movie is unique in its factors. But ya, ultimately the movies didn’t connect. I know you want to paint with a single brush, but that’s not how the box office works. Because Barbie and Deadpool were as progressive as they come. Most of Disneys movies were just more bland/bad than actually controversial, if you watched them.

Last edited:

BrianLo

All your other rantings aside I push back on this. Alien: Romulus is not a flop, not even "kinda". The movie is already in profitability range at being 2.8x its production budget, even using your 60/40 estimates. Now its not a lot of profit, but its still in the profit range, meaning its not a flop.

And with nothing major releasing for Labor Day it'll continue to grow over the next week. So I could see it potentially adding another $35M-50M or so between now and the end of the holiday weekend, especially overseas.

View attachment 811652

What fresh analysis misdirects are we dealing with now? The movie has literally been out two weekends… and it has already broken even.

🤦‍♂️

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Another weekend with no major releases. Disney appears to be trying to pad Inside Out 2's box office with an increase of 1100 theaters as they take advantage of the long weekend. But other than that not much is expected to change this Labor Day Weekend.

Thursday Night Preview -

1725054612661.png

DKampy

Another weekend with no major releases. Disney appears to be trying to pad Inside Out 2's box office with an increase of 1100 theaters as they take advantage of the long weekend. But other than that not much is expected to change this Labor Day Weekend.

Thursday Night Preview -

View attachment 812459
Yes…. Your average Labor Day weekend at The theater…. Labor Day is typically one of the worst weekends of the year at the box office…Studios don’t usually even attempt to compete

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes…. Your average Labor Day weekend at The theater…. Labor Day is typically one of the worst weekends of the year at the box office…Studios don’t usually even attempt to compete
It’s a funny talking point because it’s not that bad. As studios like Disney have released on Labor Day weekend before and done well. For example Shang Chi was released Labor Day and did well just a few years ago.

Kraven was suppose to release this weekend before Sony got sacred.

DKampy

It’s a funny talking point because it’s not that bad. As studios like Disney have released on Labor Day weekend before and done well. For example Shang Chi was released Labor Day and did well just a few years ago.

Kraven was suppose to release this weekend before Sony got sacred.
I actually agree… I think movies can open any time of year and be successful…my main point was the Studios don’t usually have enough faith to compete… hence Kraven backing away… I really Think Kraven should of stayed on that date as there will be less competition then over the holidays

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I actually agree… I think movies can open any time of year and be successful…my main point was the Studios don’t usually have enough faith to compete… hence Kraven backing away… I really Think Kraven should of stayed on that date as there will be less competition then over the holidays
I'm pretty sure Sony is kicking themselves right now for moving Kraven.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom