Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

BuddyThomas

And it's also a problem when this one was the "cheap" movie for them, because they "only" spent $157 Million to make it. :oops:

Haunted Mansion is going to lose $150 Million for Disney by Labor Day. And it's the 5th money losing movie in a row for them this summer.
Why. Do. You. Care????? You have no plans to even see these films.

123mart123

Horrific is a perfect word for it. :eek:

As horrible as the domestic box office is for Haunted Mansion, the overseas box office is truly awful.

If you pretend that Disney only spent $43 Million on marketing for Haunted Mansion to get you to an even $200 Million on costs (even though San Diego buses still have ads for the movie on them today, and the marketing spend is likely closer to the traditional half the production budget, but lets pretend it's only 43 Million), Haunted Mansion has just lost $159 Million for Disney.
View attachment 737702

I had originally guesstimated that Haunted Mansion would lose only $100 Million, for when we do the Big Super Fun, Fun, Fun End Of Summer Box Office Tally for all of Disney's movies combined here on Labor Day.

But now it looks like Haunted Mansion will be a $150 Million loss for Disney. Ouch.
ouch indeed. The parks are going to continue to be a source of cash for the streaming business, the debt of the fox acquisition and the studios…

Epic universe is a massive, audacious capital investment by a growing competitor in a market Disney created and owned for decades.

I believe the lack of a response (No real pipeline for WDW) is as much due to their cash flow challenges as it is a lack of desire or need. I suspect it also speaks loudly to investors.

And there is no clear path to get healthy Cash flow anytime soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Some of that is pure nonsense and wild supposition.

Which is Film Theories' bread and butter. Stopped watching that channel years ago because of the mental gymnastics made to prop up a preposterous positions.

The channel doesn't even pretend to be 'right,' after all, it's just a theory, a film theory.
I actually like the Theorist family of channels, and agree with some of their stuff and disagree with others. But I do know that its all theory and not always dealing with anything beyond supposition.

Honestly its what a lot of us do here anyways.

erasure fan1

Can’t disagree with any of it, and several times wondered what their wdwmagic screen name is
Lol, that's exactly what I said.
Some of that is pure nonsense and wild supposition.

Which is Film Theories' bread and butter. Stopped watching that channel years ago because of the mental gymnastics made to prop up a preposterous positions.
Well that is kind of the point, it's supposed to be fun. I'm guessing he really doesn't believe that Bluey takes place in a post apocalyptic world where Dogs evolved to take humans place. And yea, the headline is click baity, but the video content is pretty spot on.

TP2000

Why. Do. You. Care????? You have no plans to even see these films.

Because I have liked Disney products my entire life.

It's why I've been on this site for 20 years, after being online for about a decade before that.

Full Disclosure: I also have never seen The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. But I heard it wasn't that good. But this one is worse financially...

Disaster .jpg

BrianLo

I’m actually just surprised we had pages of many, many posters listing out the princess lineup and even ancillary non ‘Disney princess’ ones.

Pocahontas is an actual ‘Disney Princess’ and not one poster remembered that fact.

There’s 12 of them and arguably Pocahontas, Mulan, Merida (who is part of the lineup) +\- Aurora are weaker. I don’t think it’s that exciting or groundbreaking that a mid tier princess is now getting an attraction when all the more popular ones ahead of her already have one. 🤷‍♂️

It’s an extremely powerful merchandise line and not really that shocking Disney is dipping into it again. Particularly when the west coast based imagineers needed a Southern critter based replacement for the ride abutting New Orleans. This isn’t just a Princess and the Frog attraction in isolation, it’s another Disney Princess attraction.

The Disney Princess brand, which doesn’t include Frozen, is a 100billion dollar brand.

BuddyThomas

Speaking of non-Disney movies, I saw Last Voyage of the Demeter tonight and it was freaking horrible. It made the cardinal mistake of horror movies - it was boring. Not one single character to care about. I almost wanted to sneak into a different cinema and see Barbie again. Tomorrow comes Strays. The previews are promising. I hope it gets good reviews.

DKampy

Speaking of non-Disney movies, I saw Last Voyage of the Demeter tonight and it was freaking horrible. It made the cardinal mistake of horror movies - it was boring. Not one single character to care about. I almost wanted to sneak into a different cinema and see Barbie again. Tomorrow comes Strays. The previews are promising. I hope it gets good reviews.
That’s too bad… I skipped it as I had read some bad reviews… which is unfortunate as I thought the premise was intriguing

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We were thinking about seeing Strays but the wife said it had a 4.8 on IMDb and only 51% on RT. We decided to wait till it streams. Did I miss something?

TP2000

I’m actually just surprised we had pages of many, many posters listing out the princess lineup and even ancillary non ‘Disney princess’ ones.

Pocahontas is an actual ‘Disney Princess’ and not one poster remembered that fact.

To be honest, when I was doing my cutesy little Ebay search thing for that post the other day Pocahontas did come to mind. But for whatever reason, a hummingbird flew by or something, I got distracted and didn't put it in that one post.

But we certainly can add Pocahontas if we want to.

I always liked that Pocahontas show they used to do at the Fantasyland Theatre with all those tissue paper leaves they'd drop at the end making all the kids run up to the stage to scoop up pocketsful of free tissue paper leaves. That always made me giggle, that those kids were in the middle of Disneyland at great expense for their parents and all the kids wanted to do was play with tissue paper leaves their mom could have made at home and thrown at them in the family room while playing the Pocahontas VHS tape. 🤣

Ebay Search Results 8/16/23

Disney Pocahontas = 31,000 Results
Disney Tiana = 12,000 Results
Disney Princess and the Frog = 8,700 Results

Ghost93

There’s 12 of them and arguably Pocahontas, Mulan, Merida (who is part of the lineup) +\- Aurora are weaker. I don’t think it’s that exciting or groundbreaking that a mid tier princess is now getting an attraction when all the more popular ones ahead of her already have one. 🤷‍♂️

It’s an extremely powerful merchandise line and not really that shocking Disney is dipping into it again. Particularly when the west coast based imagineers needed a Southern critter based replacement for the ride abutting New Orleans. This isn’t just a Princess and the Frog attraction in isolation, it’s another Disney Princess attraction.

The Disney Princess brand, which doesn’t include Frozen, is a 100billion dollar brand.
I think Aurora used to sell well just because people liked her blonde hair and pink dress, but I think Once Tangled and Frozen came out, girls preferred their blonde princess to be either Rapunzel or Elsa.

I would not be surprised if one day Pocahontas gets removed from the line up to the controversy surrounding her film. I don't think the movie will get the full Song of the South treatment and be outright banned, but I could see Disney quietly distancing itself from the movie by merely not promoting it.

DKampy

We were thinking about seeing Strays but the wife said it had a 4.8 on IMDb and only 51% on RT. We decided to wait till it streams. Did I miss something?
I thought the red band trailer was hilarious.., I still will probably watch it… but I fear they might of used the best bits in the trailers which sometimes happens with comedies

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom