Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

DKampy

Again, I’m talking about the film’s own handling of these issues, not what any of us has personally experienced.
Agreed… I don’t know what one persons personal experience has to do with the themes of the movie… different movies affect different people depending on different life experiences… that is what makes film subjective…I can tell you this my wife related to Barbie on a deep personal level and she has worked in the corporate world as well

LittleBuford

Agreed… I don’t know what one persons personal experience has to do with the themes of the movie… different movies affect different people depending on different life experiences… that is what makes film subjective…I can tell you this my wife related to Barbie on a deep personal level and she has worked in the corporate world as well
I’ve tried to avoid getting into how the film relates to our personal experiences, as I don’t want to go down a potentially political rabbit hole. My focus has been on the film’s own plot and logic, which I’ve tried to characterise as accurately as possible without offering my own opinions on the issues that it touches upon.

At any rate, I certainly think it’s a sensitive and intelligent enough movie to speak to different audiences of different ideological persuasions, and I’m glad it’s cutting across demographic lines. My hope is that people start approaching Disney’s films with the same openminded attitude.

TP2000

Please don’t respond with more rhetorical questions about whether I know what year it is. If you take issue with Barbie’s characteristion of the world we live in, it’s Greta Gerwig you should be putting those questions to, not me.

It seems like you are disappointed that I wasn't disappointed in the movie Barbie.

I thought the movie was a laugh riot when it was portraying "Barbie Land", and also had some really nice messages when it was portraying what the "real world" (in lowercase) actually is like now. Even though its inaccurate portrayal of the "real world" was, well, inaccurate. But it had to portray our 2023 world as inaccurately ruled by men, or else the entire gag about Barbie Land and Kens story arc wouldn't work.

I loved the movie, as did my entire family. My sister and her two daughters-in-law are actually talking about going to see it again in a couple days. That would leave us boys to just hang out in my Mojo Dojo Casa House, I guess.

TP2000

I won't spoil it for others, but the "self-awareness" line by the narrator got the biggest laugh of the movie in my theater.

Bless them for actually giving the audience some credit that they can laugh at the elephant in the room everybody is thinking about the entire movie.

The one big dilemma for me in the movie was the opening few minutes that was a riff on the opening few minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I imagine that many of the young moms and college aged girls in the movie didn't get that reference.

We had to explain why the older folks in the theater were laughing during that intro to my 30-ish nephews and their wives, unfortunately. And both nephews went to Stanford, so you'd think... :rolleyes: 🤣

TP2000

Back to Disney's movies...

Haunted Mansion is flopping at the box office under the weight of Barbie and Oppenheimer. It's opening weekend box office take has been freshly downgraded again this afternoon, now to just $25 Million for this weekend. :oops:

Last edited:

TP2000

I am a woman who worked in corporate America in the 80's, 90's and 00's. My experience was as you describe. I had many high level woman managers. I never felt my gender played any role in whether I moved ahead or not.

Exactly. The American corporate world changed deeply and broadly from about 1975 to 1995. And the 90's were already 30 years ago. 🤪

Then things kept changing and evolving past Y2K, into the 2000's and 2010's. Now we are well into the decade of the 2020's.

We still don't have flying cars in this exotic future of the 2020's, but talented American women in the workplace are flying high.

TP2000

Nah. A Disney self-inflicted wound D +.

Agreed. Self-inflicted wounds earned with a PG rating and marketing aimed at small children. Not a recipe for success for Disney.

If Warners had marketed Barbie at small children, it would have received well-deserved criticism for that. Instead, Warners wisely got itself a PG-13 rating and aimed the marketing at teens to adults. Smart move that paid off nicely for them. It also helped the movie was fabulous.

GimpYancIent

What about his post do you agree with? I believe he’s referring to Disney+ disincentivising people from seeing Disney films at the cinema, not about age ratings or child-appropriate content. (@GimpYancIent, I apologise if I’ve misunderstood.)
Nothing to apologize about. Same item, same subject, different views, different analysis and understandings otherwise this thread would be mighty boring.

wtyy21

15 years ago I would have been able to make the argument using the G rating, because Disney still released big budget family films with a G rating back then. Pixar's last six movies were rated PG. Walt Disney Animation's last G rated film was in 2011 with Winnie The Pooh (I think.)

Disney doesn't really do G rated any more, it's almost all PG. Even from Pixar and "Walt Disney".
Toy Story 4 was really (as for recently) the last Disney movies (actually from Pixar) that Rated G (except for TV airings, Maldives, Singapore, and South Africa that are rated PG (or TV-PG for tv airing) for the film), and is the highest-grossing G-rated film in 2019 surpassing the traditional animated 1994 version of The Lion King (including re-releases).

Chi84

Premium Member
Agreed. Self-inflicted wounds earned with a PG rating and marketing aimed at small children. Not a recipe for success for Disney.

If Warners had marketed Barbie at small children, it would have received well-deserved criticism for that. Instead, Warners wisely got itself a PG-13 rating and aimed the marketing at teens to adults. Smart move that paid off nicely for them. It also helped the movie was fabulous.
They also marketed it in a way that hid its message.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They also marketed it in a way that hid its message.
Yep, which also turned into reviewing bombing once it was found out the real message of the film -

Chi84

Premium Member

TP2000

All of which is why I didn't think it was going to do well originally, because I could read between the lines on what the "message" would be upon first viewing the trailers.

Really? I could tell back in mid June that it was going to be huge when I first started blabbering about it over in the Disneyland thread. And I normally don't know what the hell is going on in current pop culture, but with this one I just knew. 🤣

It was, and is, the perfect summer movie. And America loves it just as much as I thought they would.

It's also likely the movie that will save Warner Bros. from its previous pathway to extinction. At least for now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lemme guess:

Disney flopping again is a “conspiracy”…while a movie doing well specifically aimed at a modern wash on an age old stereotype is also…”conspiracy”

…I’ll be over in the parks threads where a definitive decline in Orlando attendance is also a “conspriracy”…

And then on the DVC where the sales numbers not even being discussed is also a “conspiracy”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom