Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Guys, take a step back and recognise what’s going on here: you’re arguing with someone whose sole intent is to make Disney look like they don’t know what they’re doing, an aim that’s reached such absurd proportions that he now has us defending Disney for not ditching real-life actors in favour of AI. This is not a sensible discussion or one started in good faith, and we should not be fuelling it more than we already have.
Its also funny the contradictions made here, the same poster who over in the DL forum is against Autopia turning electric is somehow for the advancement of AI to replace voice actors. Its funny really.

TP2000

Fascinating discussion on A.I. here gang. I find it most interesting that it's seemingly fine to eliminate jobs with technology or outsource them entirely to cheaper foreign countries if the worker is blue collar, or an assemblyman, or an hour Cast Member at a theme park. But if new technology threatens white collar workers it's suddenly evil and bad? Huh. 🤔

On the topic of animation, Kung Fu Panda 4 has now opened in South Korea. It hasn't done nearly as well there as Elemental did, obviously. But quite telling that Kung Fu Panda 4 is now on track to beat Elemental at the global box office, and do that at less than half the cost of Disney and Pixar movies.

So who was the voice of the Panda? Anyone famous and highly paid?

Who Voiced The Panda.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fascinating discussion on A.I. here gang. I find it most interesting that it's seemingly fine to eliminate jobs with technology or outsource them entirely to cheaper foreign countries if the worker is blue collar, or an assemblyman, or an hour Cast Member at a theme park. But if new technology threatens white collar workers it's suddenly evil and bad? Huh. 🤔
Stop with all the hyperbole, no one ever claimed such as thing.

So who was the voice of the Panda? Anyone famous and highly paid?
Jack Black

TP2000

Its also funny the contradictions made here, the same poster who over in the DL forum is against Autopia turning electric is somehow for the advancement of AI to replace voice actors. Its funny really.

You have just wildly misrepresented my opinion on Autopia going electric.

The data discussed over in the Autopia thread merely shows the hypocrisy and low-information mischaracterization of what happens when you replace gasoline powered Autopia cars with EV Autopia cars that would need to be charged up overnight. To do so, you would plug the Autopia fleet into Anaheim's public utility system that currently uses natural gas and coal powered electricity generation to operate after sundown.

I would imagine an EV Autopia would be better artistically and thematically. You could do really fun stuff with torquey take-offs and wacky sound effects from an otherwise silent motor. But let's not pretend switching Autopia over to EV's will make the attraction powered by butterfly wings and beautiful thoughts. It will still be primarily powered by fossil fuels.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You have just wildly misrepresented my opinion on Autopia going electric.

The data discussed over in the Autopia thread merely shows the hypocrisy and low-information mischaracterization of what happens when you replace gasoline powered Autopia cars with EV Autopia cars that would need to be charged up overnight. To do so, you would plug the Autopia fleet into Anaheim's public utility system that currently uses natural gas and coal powered electricity generation to operate after sundown.

I would imagine an EV Autopia would be better artistically and thematically. You could do really fun stuff with torquey take-offs and wacky sound effects from an otherwise silent motor. But let's not pretend switching Autopia over to EV's will make the attraction powered by butterfly wings and beautiful thoughts. It will still be primarily powered by fossil fuels.
Oh so you don't like when someone uses hyperbole and sarcasm. Pot calling kettle......

TP2000

Oh so you don't like when someone uses hyperbole and sarcasm. Pot calling kettle......

I love sarcasm! It's one of my favorite forms of wit and I'm pretty good at it myself. But what you just typed about Autopia wasn't sarcasm, it was weird misrepresentation of a completely different conversation. So I corrected it. :)

TP2000

Stop with all the hyperbole, no one ever claimed such as thing.

Would you like to rephrase this statement then? These jobs, and the people who do them, don't really matter if they are eliminated by technology or purposely sent to a cheaper country because they require very little intellect?

Because no offense to the steelworker, the line worker, or the lady wiring up a new refrigerator, those aren't creative jobs that require human intellect. They are manual labor jobs, that while admirable, don't require a lot of intellect to perform.

BuddyThomas

Annnnnnnnnnnnnyway…..

Did anyone here happen to see Abagail over the weekend? I had been planning to go but we got invited to the Saturday opening night of Cabaret on Broadway at the last minute and on Sunday had another event. Curious what people thought of Abagail if anyone saw it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Would you like to rephrase this statement then? These jobs, and the people who do them, don't really matter if they are eliminated by technology or purposely sent to a cheaper country because they require very little intellect?
Nope, because there is a difference.

Also as was said by another poster that is the past, not the future. Should technology be used to replace workers in dangerous jobs, yes. Should it being used to replace all workers wholesale just because you can, no. That is the difference.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Annnnnnnnnnnnnyway…..

Did anyone here happen to see Abagail over the weekend? I had been planning to go but we got invited to the Saturday opening night of Cabaret on Broadway at the last minute and on Sunday had another event. Curious what people thought of Abagail if anyone saw it.
I saw it, thought it was good overall but very predictable in my opinion. You had more fun at Cabaret.

BuddyThomas

I saw it, thought it was good overall but very predictable in my opinion. You had more fun at Cabaret.
Oh no. I didn’t have more fun at Cabaret. It got rave reviews in London but we thought it was a pretty horrible mess. A lot of the critics agreed, like this one:

Or this:

Oh well, at least they had an open bar and at the after party, the champagne was flowing like the River Jordan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh no. I didn’t have more fun at Cabaret. It got rave reviews in London but we thought it was a pretty horrible mess. A lot of the critics agreed, like this one:

Or this:

Oh well, at least they had an open bar and at the after party, the champagne was flowing like the River Jordan.
Well maybe you'll enjoy Abigail more then.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Holy moly, have I touched some nerves or something? No need for insult hurling! I was just quoting streaming data.

Yes, Encanto IS currently popular. Frozen has the benefit of extreme longevity, multiple sequels and multiple generations whom have seen it. But yes, Encanto IS currently being received on those same levels. It of course needs to stick long term to reach the pantheon. I’m not claiming it’s better than Frozen.

I don’t know how Elemental looks long term, but it’s doing massive numbers for them. I don’t think it’s a Moana/Frozen though, but it seems in the Coco wheelhouse. Keep in mind it only had 4 months of release in 2023.

View attachment 780399
View attachment 780398
Going to the movies is still a different level of commitment than streaming behind a paywall.
I bet the ancillary sales also will show that over time.

TP2000

Also as was said by another poster that is the past, not the future.

I know. I was there in the past, and am the one who voted proudly for Perot, remember?

Should technology be used to replace workers in dangerous jobs, yes. Should it being used to replace all workers wholesale just because you can, no. That is the difference.

Nice try sliding in the "dangerous" angle now. The lady wiring up the icemaker in the Whirpool fridge in Iowa isn't in any physical danger, or the man dropping the seats in on a new Mustang in Detroit isn't in physical danger. But their jobs are in constant danger of being replaced by technology and/or outsourced to a cheaper overseas country.

I have yet to have anyone explain to me why a talking goat in a Pixar movie, or a sassy chambermaid in a Disney movie, can't be replaced easily and cheaply by A.I., except for the rather nonsensical "Acting is a treasured human skill!"

I'm right there with you on your excellent example of Robin Williams in some of his best roles. But what of the dozens of other voice roles, especially the minor or background roles, in Disney or Pixar movies? A.I. is here and it will be replacing a lot of those voiceover jobs soon.

A lot of industries should get ready to have A.I. supplant or replace existing jobs in HR, training and documentation, editing, writing, drafting, clerical work, payroll, etc., etc. But the talking goat in Wish also seems ripe for A.I.

maxresdefault.jpg

Willmark

At the current point AI is in the role of co-pilot, not auto pilot. For now, it is assistive rather than a replacement.

Key is for now.

As far as thinking it’s going to replace actors and voice over work? It is, but not in the way people are thinking.

Add AI to video games. Not the controller and headsets currently but the idea of a fully immersive environment where you are the story rather than passively watching. This has any number of uses in entertainment that makes actors obsolete. One won’t need an actor and watch them when you can do it yourself. This is down the road sure, but how far?

I can easily see a day where you hop into the holodeck-room of the house where any type of interactive entertainment takes place, fully immersive and indistinguishable from reality.

Don’t think it can happen? The movie industry is the buggy whip manufacturers and AI Entertainment is the car. It’s only a matter of time.

Ideas like amusement parks, movies, etc will become a bygone era. It happens in all technology and entertainment will be no different. Hollywood can attempt to stop it all they want but technology and customer wants (nearly) always wins.

BuddyThomas

I know. I was there in the past, and am the one who voted proudly for Perot, remember?

Nice try sliding in the "dangerous" angle now. The lady wiring up the icemaker in the Whirpool fridge in Iowa isn't in any physical danger, or the man dropping the seats in on a new Mustang in Detroit isn't in physical danger. But their jobs are in constant danger of being replaced by technology and/or outsourced to a cheaper overseas country.

I have yet to have anyone explain to me why a talking goat in a Pixar movie, or a sassy chambermaid in a Disney movie, can't be replaced easily and cheaply by A.I., except for the rather nonsensical "Acting is a treasured human skill!"

I'm right there with you on your excellent example of Robin Williams in some of his best roles. But what of the dozens of other voice roles, especially the minor or background roles, in Disney or Pixar movies? A.I. is here and it will be replacing a lot of those voiceover jobs soon.

A lot of industries should get ready to have A.I. supplant or replace existing jobs in HR, training and documentation, editing, writing, drafting, clerical work, payroll, etc., etc. But the talking goat in Wish also seems ripe for A.I.

maxresdefault.jpg
I cannot believe you are advocating for this. Oh wait. Yes, I can.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was there as well, I voted in those elections too. As a matter of fact those were some of the first elections I could vote in.

I'll add repetitive jobs in there too. So yeah dangerous and repetitive jobs are certainly one where technology can benefit humans. But does it mean that I think all jobs should just be wholesale replaced no. And there is a difference between replacing with one human for another in a different country and replacing a human for AI.

maxresdefault.jpg
We already gave reasons, including using Robin Williams as an example, maybe you just didn't accept them. Creativity is a human trait which is something that AI cannot do currently, maybe ever. So any job including voice actor that takes human creativity is something that should not just automatically be switched to AI.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At the current point AI is in the role of co-pilot, not auto pilot. For now, it is assistive rather than a replacement.

Key is for now.

As far as thinking it’s going to replace actors and voice over work? It is, but not in the way people are thinking.

Add AI to video games. Not the controller and headsets currently but the idea of a fully immersive environment where you are the story rather than passively watching. This has any number of uses in entertainment that makes actors obsolete. One won’t need an actor and watch them when you can do it yourself. This is down the road sure, but how far?

I can easily see a day where you hop into the holodeck-room of the house where any type of interactive entertainment takes place, fully immersive and indistinguishable from reality.

Don’t think it can happen? The movie industry is the buggy whip manufacturers and AI Entertainment is the car. It’s only a matter of time.

Ideas like amusement parks, movies, etc will become a bygone era. It happens in all technology and entertainment will be no different. Hollywood can attempt to stop it all they want but technology and customer wants (nearly) always wins.
I agree with you that that AI is a co-pilot, but I think its a long way off from complete auto-pilot at least in terms of entertainment.

Creativity just takes a greater understanding of the human brain than we have today. And until that is understood AI won't be able to fully have autonomy in the ability to do anything creative. I do wonder if we'll ever fully understand it, some say no. Anyways so you can program AI to do things today, like a choose your own adventure type of holodeck. But to be able to fully have autonomy, I don't think that'll be coming anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom