Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

Tony Perkis

Without remakes, Disney will have Marvel, SW (will wane after TROS), and its animated films. Unless Disney can come up with SUCCESSFUL new live action materials, that's all they have.

As far as John Favreau's choices in giving the animals less emotion, I've read and researched the "uncanny valley". Not a hard concept to understand, but miscalculated. Basically, for those who don't know about it, it says that the closer something is to being human-like, the more it creeps people out. It's as if when you make something more and more realistic looking, people think it's cooler and cooler until you hit a point where they are repulsed and scared of it. That point is known as the "uncanny valley".

Narnia '05 didn't hit it but the animals showed great emotion. TJB was very realistic and had decent emotion. Netflix's "Mowgli" had poor digital work by today's standards but WAY too much emotion. People were repulsed by it. With TLK, Favreau went further with the realism but was afraid of showing too much emotion for the fear of scarring kids (and adults) for making the animals too realistic. Problem is, TJB was just fine and people actually WANT emotion for TLK because the animated was so expressive. Thus, I think it backfired on Favreau for not pushing it in TLK. At least as far as critics have gone it backfired. We'll see what audiences think. I'm a little worried because I think people are much more attached to TLK than Aladdin.
Disney owns Fox. They’re fine.

MuteSuperstar

It's all about getting as much content on Disney + as possible when it launches or soon after.

Yeah good point.
Disney will do just fine, but people are NOT going to like having to have a separate service for basically every studio, which is obviously where this is heading eventually. It's all going to balloon right back up to the ridiculous prices of cable that everyone is sick of paying.

seascape

It's all about getting as much content on Disney + as possible when it launches or soon after.
It is also to make as much money as possible to fund the start of Disney Plus. They are spending billions on original programming, staffing and technology. The worldwide box office this year, easily over 10 billion, most likely over 11 billion and a possibility of 12 billion will go a long way. Disney's 2019 worldwide box office will be over 6.5 billion as of Sunday July 14.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah good point.
Disney will do just fine, but people are NOT going to like having to have a separate service for basically every studio, which is obviously where this is heading eventually. It's all going to balloon right back up to the ridiculous prices of cable that everyone is sick of paying.

Unless you're willing to activate each streamer one at a time for a month and binge their content in succession. Then, it's dirt cheap.

MuteSuperstar

Unless you're willing to activate each streamer one at a time for a month and binge their content in succession. Then, it's dirt cheap.

I've just built my own personal netflix of all the classic stuff I want. I don't care so much about the new stuff anyway. My own Disney channel is probably more robust than what Disney + will manage, with the added bonus of Martin's wonderful videos. Granted, this is a lot of work that most people wouldn't want to/know how to do.

seascape

Maleficent 2, Mulan, The Little Mermaid, and Cruella are on deck (with Lady and the Tramp direct to D+).
The biggest question I have is that after this years worldwide box office total. including Fox, how can Wall Street expect continued increases? No studio can grow every year and eventually the Super Hero craze will die. The MCU alone will total over 5 billion this year. Fox will help with low budget and profitable movies but Disney has been on an amazing run that will eventually end.

MuteSuperstar

The biggest question I have is that after this years worldwide box office total. including Fox, how can Wall Street expect continued increases? No studio can grow every year and eventually the Super Hero craze will die.

I keep thinking this, I find the majority of CGI-laden movies incredibly tedious but people keep turning out for them. Heck, we're near about 20 years of superhero movies at this point. It does feel like the end of this cycle may at least be the start of it waning a bit. We shall see. And I do firmly believe that Star Wars is waning a bit with the general public. No matter how much they want them to, most of these new characters simply do not resonate like the originals.

Last edited:

seascape

I don’t quite buy that. Disney, and Fox, have a huge back catalog to launch their streaming service, let alone the already in development exclusives. They didn’t need 2-3 new theatrical releases to anchor it.
You are not counting all the Fox Television productions. Streaming is not just movies but entire series, like 30 years of the Simpson's. Hulu and Disney Plus will provide me with years and years of entertainment.

Tony Perkis

You are not counting all the Fox Television productions. Streaming is not just movies but entire series, like 30 years of the Simpson's. Hulu and Disney Plus will provide me with years and years of entertainment.
I’m accounting for everything. Fox, FX, FXX.

Tick Tock

Maleficent 2, Mulan, The Little Mermaid, and Cruella are on deck (with Lady and the Tramp direct to D+).
Still not sure why we need a re-re-make on 101 Dalmatians.

The 1996 one, while not flawless, was a pretty faithful adaptation to the animated classic. Glenn Close set the bar HIGH with her portrayal of the iconic villain. I recently went back and re-watched that film, and realized I liked it a lot more than I had remembered. The changes added (Roger being a video game designer rather than a song-writer, Cruella being Anita's boss, etc,) worked, and complimented the underlying story, staying faithful to the original but not being a play-by-play copy.

Had Glenn Close not been as stellar as she was portraying Cruella, I could see why they'd want to do another adaptation. But as it stands, someone is gonna have some pretty big shoes fur coats to fill. Just my two-cents.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Since some take Rotten Tomatoes as the end all be all of whether or not you should see a movie....

THE LION KING's Rotten Tomatoes Score Has Been Revealed

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Since some take Rotten Tomatoes as the end all be all of whether or not you should see a movie....

THE LION KING's Rotten Tomatoes Score Has Been Revealed

On the bright side, TLK's critic's score is higher than that of Aladdin.

On the dark side, IMDB's audience score is much lower than that of Aladdin.

erasure fan1

OK, so with the reviews up we can safely say that this movie did exactly what I thought it would. And that's just rehash the original material aside from a few songs. So heres where I'm most disappointed in Disney. The CG tech they are using in this movie is nothing short of spectacular. So it's such a shame they wasted it on a rehash instead of coming up with a bold new story to showcase this CG. It's a real shame that a company built on story telling, couldn't or wasn't allowed to do something new.

BuddyThomas

Well, I'm a little concerned about the latest reviews that have come out, but I already bought my ticket for RPX this Saturday and I can think of a lot worse places to be on an expected 96 degree day in NYC.

Bring it!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
OK, so with the reviews up we can safely say that this movie did exactly what I thought it would. And that's just rehash the original material aside from a few songs. So heres where I'm most disappointed in Disney. The CG tech they are using in this movie is nothing short of spectacular. So it's such a shame they wasted it on a rehash instead of coming up with a bold new story to showcase this CG. It's a real shame that a company built on story telling, couldn't or wasn't allowed to do something new.

Your wish is granted...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom