News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

VJ

I'm shocked that they are going to run Family Guy on Freeform. This merger is really changing up things.
Indeed.. this is the biggest acquisition in Disney's history since ABC, in my opinion. Maybe even bigger than that. To me, it's the equivalent of putting a skyscraper smack-dab in the middle of a rural town. As a fan, it's both exciting and kinda scary as to what the future holds.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

https://www.businessinsider.com/top...-plus-ahead-of-disney-investor-day-ubs-2019-4

"We believe Disney would like to own 100% of Hulu and see potential for Disney to announce the acquisition of AT&T's 10% stake at the investor day," analysts said. "AT&T has signaled its intention to monetize the Hulu stake (which Disney valued at $1.5B in its recent 8K filing)."

Will be interesting to see if they announce full acquisition on investor day, which is 04/11. I can't find the most recent 8K which values Hulu at 15B. That would be a 50% valuation from last time IIRC.

bartholomr4

https://www.businessinsider.com/top...-plus-ahead-of-disney-investor-day-ubs-2019-4

Will be interesting to see if they announce full acquisition on investor day, which is 04/11. I can't find the most recent 8K which values Hulu at 15B. That would be a 50% valuation from last time IIRC.

If Disney and AT&T had executed an agreement, they would have announced it (SEC regulations require an announcement and submission for any acquisition of substance within a business day). I just checked the SEC web portal, and there has been no announcement. As of March 20th, when they closed the deal, Disney had estimated the value of HULU for the purposes of the merger (calculating taxes) at 9.8 billion.... Not sure what AT&T and Disney might trade other than cash, but if they had, we probably would have heard it already.... Next date of note (other than the 11th investor day) is the 8th of May, when Disney announces the next quarterly earnings!

Indy_UK

I guess we'll see if having multiple streaming services works out long term. I think if they could have it under one app but different tiers to add ESPN and Hulu then they would but it's the grey area of separating the Disney kids stuff from the adult stuff

ImperfectPixie

I guess we'll see if having multiple streaming services works out long term. I think if they could have it under one app but different tiers to add ESPN and Hulu then they would but it's the grey area of separating the Disney kids stuff from the adult stuff
Easy enough to have it all under one app - have a kids' section and an adults section...require a 4-digit code to access the "adult" channels.

Indy_UK

That's what I thought they would have done. Your pretty much starting with 30 million odd subscribers by moving people over from Hulu and ESPN+

ImperfectPixie

They have stated their intention to bundle them with discounts for bundling. I doubt Disney wants the Disney brand to share a front page portal with R-Rated Hulu fare.
Four apps though (and what about ABC - doesn't that have it's own service? That would make 5.)? That's more than a bit ridiculous. With the publicity the Fox purchase has garnered, anyone who believes Disney doesn't own/produce R-rated films (or hasn't in the past) is deluding themselves. Do they want people to forget they own so many media outlets? Maybe.

Realistically, people want a streamlined experience. Netflix "sort of" gives us that with the Kids section and allowing each family member to have their own account - but they could do better, YouTube tried (and failed ridiculously) with YouTube Kids (they need a forced rating system so parents can filter what shows in their account), Vudu doesn't have any separation for content, nor does Prime or Movies Anywhere (I know I'm lumping different kinds of services here, but they're all related to online viewing). I can't speak about Hulu, because we don't have it. Of all of the above, we use Netflix, Prime, Vudu, and YouTube most often and in that order from most to least. Why? Because they offer the most content with the least amount of hassle. Even Movies Anywhere doesn't cover digital movies from all distributors, but Vudu does. Prime and Vudu even have movies and shows you can watch for free with no subscription to anything or having to buy anything (with ads).

If Disney wants people to subscribe and never want to leave, they'll give us a streamlined experience with a means to block inappropriate content from children...I'd even wager that they could get a higher subscription fee overall if they set it up this way - especially from people who are parents.

As far as sharing a front page with inappropriate content? No need to. A best case scenario would be to have a single app with multiple family member accounts (like Netflix or Apple - Apple really has it nailed with family sharing and parent/child accounts). Upon installing the app, the user is asked if they are a parent or child. Parent accounts show an icon for every service, child accounts only show Disney+ or Disney+ Kids, or whatever.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Four apps though (and what about ABC - doesn't that have it's own service? That would make 5.)? That's more than a bit ridiculous. With the publicity the Fox purchase has garnered, anyone who believes Disney doesn't own/produce R-rated films (or hasn't in the past) is deluding themselves. Do they want people to forget they own so many media outlets? Maybe.

Realistically, people want a streamlined experience. Netflix "sort of" gives us that with the Kids section and allowing each family member to have their own account - but they could do better, YouTube tried (and failed ridiculously) with YouTube Kids (they need a forced rating system so parents can filter what shows in their account), Vudu doesn't have any separation for content, nor does Prime or Movies Anywhere (I know I'm lumping different kinds of services here, but they're all related to online viewing). I can't speak about Hulu, because we don't have it. Of all of the above, we use Netflix, Prime, Vudu, and YouTube most often and in that order from most to least. Why? Because they offer the most content with the least amount of hassle. Even Movies Anywhere doesn't cover digital movies from all distributors, but Vudu does. Prime and Vudu even have movies and shows you can watch for free with no subscription to anything or having to buy anything (with ads).

If Disney wants people to subscribe and never want to leave, they'll give us a streamlined experience with a means to block inappropriate content from children...I'd even wager that they could get a higher subscription fee overall if they set it up this way - especially from people who are parents.

As far as sharing a front page with inappropriate content? No need to. A best case scenario would be to have a single app with multiple family member accounts (like Netflix or Apple - Apple really has it nailed with family sharing and parent/child accounts). Upon installing the app, the user is asked if they are a parent or child. Parent accounts show an icon for every service, child accounts only show Disney+ or Disney+ Kids, or whatever.

Hulu will have Disney/ABC/Fox channel content, including live stream (for extra). The separate Apps exist mostly for people who have subscribed to those channels through their cable service.

ImperfectPixie

Hulu will have Disney/ABC/Fox channel content, including live stream (for extra). The separate Apps exist mostly for people who have subscribed to those channels through their cable service.

Good. Because I find having to install multiple apps extraordinarily annoying. The ONLY reason I even use Movies Anywhere is because I like the security of having movies I've purchased stored in more than one place.

I'm very curious to see how Hulu's parental controls work in real life because after reading the instructions, it sounds very similar to how Netflix handles it...which isn't great. The kids can just select one of the adult accounts and get access to everything. We're fortunate that our boys have zero interest in anything inappropriate - they hide their faces and giggle like mad if me and their dad kiss, lol, and they're 13 and 8 - but I'm not foolish enough to expect their aversion to adult content to last forever.

bartholomr4

https://www.bizjournals.com/philade...st-sky-merger-plans.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Layoffs in London, as NBCU is absorbed into the Sky Campus.

NBCU's pay-TV channels in the United Kingdom — like Syfy and E! — would become part of Sky and based out of its large headquarters in west London under the new proposals. NBCU's networks in Europe, the Middle East and Africa would also shift to be based at Sky's main campus.

While there's more nuance to the changes, it essentially amounts to Sky taking over management of NBCU channels and NBCU taking over Sky distribution, a source told Variety, since another proposed change would be to move Sky Vision, its content sales and distribution arm, under NBCU's global distribution operation.

That proposed changes are causing layoff fears in the U.K., with the head of its biggest broadcast union, BECTU, issuing a statement Monday urging Comcastto listen to union members through the process and calling Sky an "anti-union" environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom