News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

seascape

Where does it state Uni has to divulge plans to Disney because I highly doubt that ?
The contract with Marvel and HP clearly allows for complete audits of attendance, revenues and expenses. Any addition to either park and or construction of a new gate would have to be included in the audit. What specific rides no but any expense which means the have to disclose basic plans and the budgets. Plus both contracts call for the rides to be kept first class and so they both have to kept at highest level Universal has. I would expect the same language in the Simpsons contract.

Cmdr_Crimson

Email from Bob Iger to All Employees this morning!

I’m proud to announce the acquisition is complete and 21st Century Fox is now part of The Walt Disney Company. I’d like to welcome our new colleagues, and thank employees on both sides of the deal for your patience and perseverance as we worked through the lengthy acquisition and regulatory process.

As you know, Disney has never been short on ambition. We’ve never been satisfied with the status quo, and our vision for this transformative era is our boldest yet. We are rapidly transforming our company to take full advantage of evolving consumer trends and emerging technology in order to thrive in this new and exciting time.

Our acquisition of 21st Century Fox was driven by our strong belief that the addition of these great businesses, brands, franchises and talent will allow us to move faster, reach farther and aim higher – especially when it comes to building direct connections with consumers.

I wish I could tell you that the hardest part is behind us; that closing the deal was the finish line, rather than just the next milestone. What lies ahead is the challenging work of uniting our businesses to create a dynamic, global entertainment company with the content, the platforms, and the reach to deliver industry-defining experiences that will engage consumers around the world for generations to come.

We’ve spent the last year exploring the new opportunities and synergies generated by bringing our two legendary companies together. Leaders across both organizations have worked closely together to understand how to best unlock this potential and unleash innovation and creativity to generate long-term growth. We’re confident in our integration strategy and in our ability to execute it effectively; and we’re inspired and energized by the new possibilities.

Our integration process will be an evolution, with some businesses impacted more than others. We’ve made many critical decisions already, but some areas still require further evaluation. We may not have answers to all of your questions at this moment, but we understand how vital information is, and we’re committed to moving as quickly as possible to provide clarity regarding how your role may be impacted.

Having been on both sides of numerous acquisitions during my career, I have a deep appreciation for how this one impacts everyone involved, on both a personal and professional level. I understand the challenges, and I ask for your continued patience in the days to come as we combine this collection of great assets to create the world’s premier entertainment company.
sa2ktia.jpg

seascape

That was my understanding too. And Deadpool is popular enough that they'll tone him down to PG-13 for the MCU films if they want to.
Fox had already shown that releasing a R version first and a PG13 later in the US can increase profits. Plus China, Saudi Arabia and some other countries will not take R rated movies making a PG version a requirement for movies today. China will be the number 1 movie market and extremely important to Disney as a source of funds for Chinese themepark capital investments.

jt04

Dead pool is easily overcome.

Any solo films like Deadpool 3, you make R rated with blood and swearing. If they want to integrate the character into the MCU then you easily can... just take away the swearing and and blood

That whole Miramax experiment thing didn't work out so well for Disney. And they will want to distribute in places like China. So, I expect there will be fewer examples of adult content than Fox would normally have produced going forward. But just a guess.

seascape

That whole Miramax experiment thing didn't work out so well for Disney. And they will want to distribute in places like China. So, I expect there will be fewer examples of adult content than Fox would normally have produced going forward. But just a guess.
The problem with Miramax was timing. Today, we are in a streaming environment and to keep Hulu going at number 2 or maybe get close to Netflix they need adult content.

Disney's movies and shows alone are not enough to fill up Hulu, Disney Plus and ESPN plus. Fox, Fox Searchlight and Fox 2000 all will have a large role to play. Even Blue Sky will likely appear on Disney Plus and Hulu.

CaptainAmerica

The problem with Miramax was timing. Today, we are in a streaming environment and to keep Hulu going at number 2 or maybe get close to Netflix they need adult content.

Disney's movies and shows alone are not enough to fill up Hulu, Disney Plus and ESPN plus. Fox, Fox Searchlight and Fox 2000 all will have a large role to play. Even Blue Sky will likely appear on Disney Plus and Hulu.
You're mixing things that ought not be mixed.

Disney+ is Disney, Pixar, Marvel (Studios), LucasFilm, and National Geographic, full stop. Everything else (including Deadpool) goes to Hulu. Nothing on Disney+ will be R-rated.

jt04

I just think Disney will tread lightly so as not to damage its reputation as a provider of family friendly content. Miramax did more damage to the brand than they acknowledge. Iger has done a lot to restore the Disney image and doubt they will risk that. But we'll see.

CaptainAmerica

What about Blue Sky Studios they could add stuff on Disney+.
"Our Disney-branded service, which we're officially calling Disney+, will be in the U.S. market late next year, offering a rich array of original Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic content, along with unprecedented access to our incredible library of film and television content, including all of our new theatrical releases starting with the 2019 slate."

CaptainAmerica

What people need to understand is that all of the Fox content had existing distribution deals in place that Disney can't just switch off on a whim. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is airing on Nickelodeon currently, for example. Disney can't just pull those rights back from Viacom and start loading up their own streaming service with that content. It's why the MCU films prior to Captain Marvel will take some time to make their way to Disney+. They need to unwind existing deals with Netflix, Turner, etc. before they get those rights back.

Phicinfan

Go back to my original post. I know they're going to continue making Deadpool, I was making a separate point in my response to @Crossfire. Those Deadpool movies will not be part of the MCU.

Deadpool 3 will be made and it will be R, but it won't be made by Feige and the team at Marvel Studios.
You may be right, but I DO think they will be tied to MCU in some format, and I do think Feige will have input on the direction it goes. I don't see them keeping it totally out of MCU planning, as it is way too popular. Just my $0.02

CaptainAmerica

You may be right, but I DO think they will be tied to MCU in some format, and I do think Feige will have input on the direction it goes. I don't see them keeping it totally out of MCU planning, as it is way too popular. Just my $0.02
It's popular without the MCU already and it the MCU doesn't need it. My guess is that it stays outside but Deadpool makes jokes within the movie that reference the MCU, just like he does in the comics.

It's not worth the risk. Loads of parents don't pay attention to this kind of thing and it could seriously torpedo the MCU when Little Johnny tells his mom that "Deadpool is the next one in the series after Spider-Man" and all of a sudden kids everywhere are watching Ryan Reynolds in graphic violent/sexual scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom