News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Ripken10

That would be a horrible deal. The movie distribution rights for Hulk and almost worthless while the Spiderman rights are worth about 5 to 6 billion but Fox's RSNs are worth 15 billion or more and the Fox Sports in Brazil and Mexico are worth ????
Ok, well throw in a couple characters theme park rights they don't use and you got a deal.

I am kidding (but a man can dream)

Twilight_Roxas

Think about it Comcast refuses to let Disney & Marvel studios create solo Hulk films so giving them some of Fox Sports could regain the distribution rights to Hulk.

Darkprime

I mean is it really worth getting Hulk back at this point? His arc will be complete in End Game. Unless they were wanting to reboot Hulk with new series of standalone films. Then maybe. But If they are planning on doing Wolverine vs Hulk. As a fun moment in the first Wolverine standalone. They dont even need an actor cast to play Hulk in that situation just use the CGI Hulk model.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hulk is a horrible feature length movie protagonist given the lack of ability to communicate. Someone wants to neutralize him, he fights and runs and saves someone caught in the crossfire. Repeat. Repeat. The end.

If he's the sole focus, the only development is his two personalities trying to deal with each other, which is hard to do in a movie setting. And it's very limited in scope in that he's talking to himself.

Hulk needs other people to react off of, and not just Bruce's girlfriend or the general that wants to neutralize him. That's why he works within the Avengers or in Thor. They're his peers and social/family network to help him with his inner demon. Their acceptance is taming the monster who's only know rejection and attacks.

I'm kinda glad Marvel can't do a solo Hulk movie at this moment.

Darkprime

Spider-Man just needs to come back even if its only to stop Sony and their ridiculous Venomverse. As good as Into the Spider-Verse was id be happy not getting anymore if it meant Venom 2 and Morbius got canned.

capsshield

there is a lot more to the Hulk than most people know. some really great stories that don't involve the typical mindless hulk that most people recognize from the TV, movies, or 70s comics. look for the Peter David issues.

Darkprime

So....Fox hiring standards are now going to court. So it will be Disney vs Netflix in the end.

Good grief no wonder the Murdochs sold.They couldn't be stuffed dealing with all this. Disney will most likely settle and well never here from it again but damn if this isn't pretty much confirmation Disney will shutdown fox movie and tv studios in a few years once the merger is done. What a shame. A once iconic studios fall from grace.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Good grief no wonder the Murdochs sold.They couldn't be stuffed dealing with all this. Disney will most likely settle and well never here from it again but damn if this isn't pretty much confirmation Disney will shutdown fox movie and tv studios in a few years once the merger is done. What a shame. A once iconic studios fall from grace.

Surprising isn't it? Considering how squeaky clean their news divisions have been...

Crossfire

I doubt Searchlight and Fx will be Shutdown.

brodie999

Darkprime

I doubt any of Fox's movie and TV divisions will be shut down because look at Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm. They made billions since Disney bought them back during the course of the past 13 years. So I'm sure they'll help Fox find their way back too. I'm hoping Solo gets re-released so it can finally become the box office hit it was meant to be by reaching $500 million.

Yes but this is different look how many law suits have popped up in the last 24 hours. It's too much trouble keeping them going. Disney may just move production of the avatar sequels in-house.

Twilight_Roxas

FX would stay since shows rated MA like American Horror Story air there. FXM for films, and FXX for Always Sunny, Archer, films, and Every Simpsons Ever.

Crossfire

Yes but this is different look how many law suits have popped up in the last 24 hours. It's too much trouble keeping them going. Disney may just move production of the avatar sequels in-house.
They need Fox for the content Disney would never be able to release, movies and TV series like Bohemian Rhapsody, Deadpool, AHS and The Favorite are the type of films Disney wants in their portfolio, and most of them have a small budget so they wouldn't need to worry about profits that much.

Darkprime

They need Fox for the content Disney would never be able to release, movies and TV series like Bohemian Rhapsody, Deadpool, AHS and The Favorite are the type of films Disney wants in their portfolio, and most of them have a small budget so they wouldn't need to worry about profits that much.

Fox doesn't need to exist for Disney to own it's IP after the deal closes. That IP will automatically belong to Disney. It's up to Disney if they keep the movie and tv studios operating. And I think in a few years they'll shut em down because like you say all they really want is the content.

Rodan75

Both issues have been working their way thru the courts for years. No big surprise really. The Bones case has been seen in other forms across all of the studios at different times ( Home Improvement was a syndication example I think). I think the bigger concern is that Rice and Walden are accused of lying and misleading the arbitration process.

On the employment practices. That one is less clear cut on who the wrong party is, but after the Pixar issue, I suspect Disney will drop this. They’ve allowed talent to cancel contracts and leave to go to Netflix over the last few years.

Nothing here is that surprising or that impactful to the merger.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
We don't need to wonder: The CEO of Disney and head of Disney Film Studios have said they're keeping all the Fox studios and channels running
  • to provide an outlet for the type of movies the Disney brand can't handle
  • to provide content for Hulu
  • to make prestige films that garner awards
This really is a case closed because if you're not going to believe them, then there's no other source that would be more convincing.

Rodan75

Fox doesn't need to exist for Disney to own it's IP after the deal closes. That IP will automatically belong to Disney. It's up to Disney if they keep the movie and tv studios operating. And I think in a few years they'll shut em down because like you say all they really want is the content.

That doesn’t make sense. You don’t buy assets this big to shut them down. They need to be running to generate content.

What will happen is groups that can be synergized will be, support staff will be the hardest hit.

Crossfire

Yeah, but they need the Fox label, Alan Horn said this:
With Fox, we can make movies that right now I say no to. Take Bohemian Rhapsody, which is PG-13. It's a hit movie and very, very good. But there's no way we could make it under the Disney label because the characters smoke cigarettes and other content. Nor could we have made [Warner Bros.' R-rated] Oscar-winning Argo because the characters smoke and use the F-word. We always have to think about the smoking policy. The audience for a Disney movie may not know what they are going to see, but they know what they aren't going to see. There are certain things we just can't include because we'll get letters.
You won't be seeing The Favorite or Deadpool on Disney+, or the Disney logos in their intros, Disney is very serious about their brand protection.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom