News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Bocabear

But does Disney need any Fox IPs? I would say absolutely not! There are tons of properties not represented in the Disney parks that are on brand and would add to the framework of the parks...I can't think of a FOX franchise that would actually add to any of the parks in a meaningful way without looking like what the Paramount parks did years ago...
MAybe the Walt Disney Companyy could open a separate Fox themed park? but as it is, they have 4 theme parks needing capacity to meet demand... a 5th Gate would not help...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With the Fox Merger, I wonder if Disney would actually have enough IP content for (dare I say) a fifth gate at WDW

Nope.

Fox IP has relatively little IP that is:
  • family friendly,
  • immensely popular, and,
  • as high in quality as what Disney already has.

Disney has a whole host of their own IP (including the family-friendly IP of the other studios they purchased) to launch a 5th gate, especially if franchises now get whole lands. But, as we've discussed in the 5th gate thread, WDW has 3 parks to prop up to compete against their own MK juggernaut before they cannibalize those three other parks for a new fifth one.

bartholomr4

With the Fox Merger, I wonder if Disney would actually have enough IP content for (dare I say) a fifth gate at WDW or (more realistically) a third gate at DLR. With Comcast/Universal preparing their own third (and possibly fourth) gate(s) in Orlando, the question of additional Disney “gates” becomes more realistic, especially if the new Uni gates are proven successful.

I could see the third gate in Anaheim if they buy the Angels Stadium and tear it down..... In FL, I think they just expand the size of existing parks, which is more "cost" and "time to market" effective than another gate addition..... Either way that's a long train coming though, and I think Iger is going to be focused on the OTT Video streaming for the next two years, then retire. I would think his successor (who will have huge shoes to fill) will need to take these on....

PB Watermelon

Iger said Disney Plus is going to be "laser-focused" on family content. I imagine the Fox content would be headed to Hulu.
With the Fox Merger, I wonder if Disney would actually have enough IP content for (dare I say) a fifth gate at WDW or (more realistically) a third gate at DLR. With Comcast/Universal preparing their own third (and possibly fourth) gate(s) in Orlando, the question of additional Disney “gates” becomes more realistic, especially if the new Uni gates are proven successful.

THE OMEN: THE RIDE

Twilight_Roxas

Nope.

Fox IP has relatively little IP that is:
  • family friendly,
  • immensely popular, and,
  • as high in quality as what Disney already has.

Disney has a whole host of their own IP (including the family-friendly IP of the other studios they purchased) to launch a 5th gate, especially if franchises now get whole lands. But, as we've discussed in the 5th gate thread, WDW has 3 parks to prop up to compete against their own MK juggernaut before they cannibalize those three other parks for a new fifth one.
There's also Walt Disney Studios Park in France. They could put a Fox theme area for Pandora the World of Avatar, Springfield U.S.A., and Blue Sky.

seascape

I could see the third gate in Anaheim if they buy the Angels Stadium and tear it down..... In FL, I think they just expand the size of existing parks, which is more "cost" and "time to market" effective than another gate addition..... Either way that's a long train coming though, and I think Iger is going to be focused on the OTT Video streaming for the next two years, then retire. I would think his successor (who will have huge shoes to fill) will need to take these on....
I think you are right and that is the site of the 3rd gate for Disneyland.

Twilight_Roxas

Paris is already getting Marvel, Frozen, and Star Wars Lands for now. Pandora cloned would work anywhere. Springfield... not too sure. It's very American and as family-friendly as Disney is wont to have.
The Simpsons could easily fit in Walt Disney Studios Park since Universal Studios have Simpsons attractions in Hollywood & Orlando so The Simpsons could fit in Walt Disney Studios park with a full replica of Springfield by Disney Imagineers along with The Simpsons Ride dubbed by the show's French cast.

PB Watermelon

The Simpsons could easily fit in Walt Disney Studios Park since Universal Studios have Simpsons attractions in Hollywood & Orlando so The Simpsons could fit in Walt Disney Studios park with a full replica of Springfield by Disney Imagineers along with The Simpsons Ride dubbed by the show's French cast.

Maybe Disney can buy Comcast next and build their own King Kong attraction.

I am glad that Disney thinks it's so confident it in gaining Chinese approval, but what's with this whole notion that the Disney/Fox deal would be caught in the crossfires of the China trade war?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom