News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

ABQ

While this article starts off with some thin clickbait premise about Jeff Bezos it is a good article that I think when applied to Disney we see why Disney can't quite be the same business it was in the 80's, let alone the 50's. I think Iger and Eisner both did a good job of moving into adjacencies and new models while also keeping much of the soul of Disney to keep the company alive and independent.

That methodology certainly dilutes Walt's original vision and I think it is a valid debate if it that vision has been diluted too much, especially as Fox is added to the mix.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-stock-investors-a-valuable-lesson-2018-07-12
C'mon Rodan, don't you know you're not allowed to credit both Iger and Eisner in the same breath, let alone not denounce them wholeheartedly for destroying everything Walt built? ;)

bartholomr4

While this article starts off with some thin clickbait premise about Jeff Bezos it is a good article that I think when applied to Disney we see why Disney can't quite be the same business it was in the 80's, let alone the 50's. I think Iger and Eisner both did a good job of moving into adjacencies and new models while also keeping much of the soul of Disney to keep the company alive and independent.

That methodology certainly dilutes Walt's original vision and I think it is a valid debate if it that vision has been diluted too much, especially as Fox is added to the mix.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-stock-investors-a-valuable-lesson-2018-07-12

I agree with having the debate...... I think the difference is Disney's current ability to focus on "The Story First", while its competition focuses on execution of a different strategy I would call "The Process First". They (Disney)don't always get it right, but year to date, per Box Office Mojo, there have been 363 movies in the theaters.... Disney currently has 5 movies on the list and 40% of the take. If it were so easy of a strategy to execute, someone else would have released a couple movies and caught up.... Comcast Universal is in second place, with 9 movies and 13%.

I think there are a number of awesome stories in the Fox portfolio, and I suspect Iger will give the leaders of those Fox units the independence and time to do what Marvel, and Pixar and Lucas has done. I don't see a big consolidation of operations under existing umbrellas (with notable exceptions of Marvel characters in the Fox Portfolio) I would also bet Iger will jettison (sell/trade or shut-down) those stories/businesses which he can't turn into tent-poles and would also bet that Sports and News (because of the real-time nature of the experience) take on a similar "The Story First" strategy.

What do you think?

mab7689

I don't expect Disney will give up on Sky. They restructured the company recently in view of incorporating 21CF. I seriously doubt they would have created the Direct to Consumer and International division if they weren't expecting the acquisition of Sky. They'll make another bid, but as already mentioned in previous posts it might not come till after the shareholder votes on the 27th.

seascape

If there was any doubt that the Disney Fox merger might not be approved, there is no doubt now. The DOJ is appealing the AT&T Timewarner merger. They believe that the DC Court of Appeals, thanks to President Obama's picks will overturn the prior ruling. In any case Fox can't accept any more offers from Comcast.

Rodan75

If there was any doubt that the Disney Fox merger might not be approved, there is no doubt now. The DOJ is appealing the AT&T Timewarner merger. They believe that the DC Court of Appeals, thanks to President Obama's picks will overturn the prior ruling. In any case Fox can't accept any more offers from Comcast.

Do you mean Comcast - Fox would not get approved now? And that essentially Fox should take the DoJ approval from Disney and run!

seascape

Do you mean Comcast - Fox would not get approved now? And that essentially Fox should take the DoJ approval from Disney and run!
Yes. Fox stated in the prospectus that Comcast was likely to be subject to an antitrust case. Disney was and they settled quickly. Anyway Fox has to accept the Disney offer now or pay 1.5 billion to Disney. Disney has all the power now. They can and should demand the vote on the 27th or have Fox turn it down. No one in their right mind would vote no now.

Twilight_Roxas

Plus everyone hates Comcast which is called the worst company ever. Before saying about Comcast bad Disney good look up the controversy Comcast cause that made everyone hate Comcast along with the multiple times they were sued.

mab7689

As a British consumer and Sky customer it's what I have read about Comcast on the internet that makes me not want them to get anywhere near it.

seascape

Plus everyone hates Comcast which is called the worst company ever. Before saying about Comcast bad Disney good look up the controversy Comcast cause that made everyone hate Comcast along with the multiple times they were sued.
I do not like Comcast but let's be real. It is not just Comcast that has poor customer service. All cable companies and utility companies suffer from poor customer service. It is just the nature of the business. Anyway, Disney has some problems too so this is not the case of good vs bad. But I am happy that Disney will now own all the Fox IP and will get a bigger check from Comcast ever year. Also based on the DOJ decision Disney should increase their offer for Sky to £16.00 a share and then if Comcast wants Sky so bad take they would pay a minimum of £16.25. That would bring the cost to Comcast up to 37.48 billion. Disney's cut of 39% would be $14.61 billion. At £16.00 a share for the 61% would have to buy would cost $22.5 billion. Disney should make Comcast pay because Comcast cost Disney money for Fox.

bartholomr4

I do not like Comcast but let's be real. It is not just Comcast that has poor customer service. All cable companies and utility companies suffer from poor customer service. It is just the nature of the business. Anyway, Disney has some problems too so this is not the case of good vs bad. But I am happy that Disney will now own all the Fox IP and will get a bigger check from Comcast ever year. Also based on the DOJ decision Disney should increase their offer for Sky to £16.00 a share and then if Comcast wants Sky so bad take they would pay a minimum of £16.25. That would bring the cost to Comcast up to 37.48 billion. Disney's cut of 39% would be $14.61 billion. At £16.00 a share for the 61% would have to buy would cost $22.5 billion. Disney should make Comcast pay b

There is a ruling due from the British Regulator which will state if the current DISNEY bid is sufficient or not. That’s the amount they should bid, and have 45 days to make that bid..... The Fox vote is 2 weeks from tomorrow.... they should wait until that vote is behind them before coming back with their SKY counter offer...

seascape

There is a ruling due from the British Regulator which will state if the current DISNEY bid is sufficient or not. That’s the amount they should bid, and have 45 days to make that bid..... The Fox vote is 2 weeks from tomorrow.... they should wait until that vote is behind them before coming back with their SKY counter offer...
The timing does not matter now because Fox will not accept any bid from Comcast for antitrust risks. Disney can just tell fox their last offer was take it or leave it and Fox has to accept it or pay 1.5 billion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom