Disney Alone

draybook

My wife offered to let me go to Disneyland in CA by myself, since that's where I'm from. I would just feel too guilty about the kids not getting to see it. It was mostly because she didn't want to go to CA but I finally talked her into it so we're going in 2012.

Would I go by myself? You betcha, if it weren't for the kids.

ErickainPA

Would I go by myself? You betcha, if it weren't for the kids.

I have 3 kids, but this will be trip #2, since having them, that I will be going alone. They are getting a trip the beginning of October though this year. Last year I came home with something for all of them, this year since they are going just a few weeks after I get home, will not get anything for them.

flyer31

I am a flight attendant, and when in Orlando, I have gone by myself before. I do enjoy it....it is a little different than travelling with someone, but you can do the things that interest YOU the most.

Main Street USA

I can't imagine NOT going alone! You'll find it takes less time to get through the parks when you are by yourself. You don't spend as much time eating, either.
Of course, it takes less time to "get through" the parks solo, but a lot of people don't go to the parks to just do the attractions and move on. Some go for the sole reason of sharing something amazing with the people they love. For those people, the rides aren't really all that great solo. They lose the meaning and fun that they have when the experience is shared with others.

David S.

Since I moved to the area seasonally by myself, most of my visits are solo. This doesn't bother me one bit as I am an only child and have lived by myself since college (by choice!), so it feels natural and normal to me! As others have said, it allows you to enjoy the parks at your own pace, and do whatever you want to when you want to. It also allows you to take in all the little details, background music loops, and really immerse yourself in the Magic.

Having said that, when my parents or friends come to visit me, I enjoy sharing the experience with others as well. But I would never want to give up the frequent solo visits completely!

Since I live alone and am an only child and an introvert, I never get "lonely" spending time alone, whether at the parks or anywhere else. (If anything, being constantly around other people 24/7 with no time alone would drain and exhaust me!) I am very independent and have a strong sense of self. I am also deeply in touch with my "inner child" so when I visit the parks I feel like a little kid again, which is a great feeling!

PS. EDIT - This thread reminds me of my earliest solo visits. My parents took me often, but I remember joining a youth group before I started driving solely because they took a trip to WDW every year, and I could never get enough of WDW! I wouldn't mind touring the parks with ONE other person from the group, but as soon as it became a group of more than two, all the other kids wanted to do was walk around in circles all day and be "social". I didn't pay money and look forward to a Disney trip all year to do boring teen stuff, so I would always find an excuse to get seperated and go off alone. Many days I would deliberately start out alone. Back on the bus, when comparing notes with the others, they were amazed that I was able to experience every attraction in the park, and I was amazed that their little groups missed more attractions than they actually experienced. In FULL open-to-close days! Which told me that my instinctive desire to tour solo was the correct choice, as I actually have a passion for the parks and their attractions - much more than the other kids on the trip did. And they considered many of my favorites (such as the Fantasyland attractions and CBJ) to be "kiddie" and beneath their "sophisticated" teen taste! But I was never a teenager, even when I was a teenager! ;)

pixiesteno

I had the opportunity to visit for my first solo trip this June, it was just for a couple of days but it was nice. I don't think that I would want to do every trip alone, but the freedom to just change what I wanted to do as the idea struck me was nice. No guilt over going back to the resort for a swim and a nap, stopping to snap photos as I wished, etc. However, when DH and I tour the parks we have started to take slower also rather than running here and there. Still when you make a discovery, yes after numerous trips you still discover new things, there isn't anyone to share it with at the moment. All and all I wouldn't mind doing it again but not for every trip.

BrerFrog

I only went as a CP, so naturally I have been to the parks alone more often than with other people since my friends all had different schedules with different free days. I prefer to have company, but going by yourself allows you to do many more things within park hours as you do not spend a lot of time trying to reach a consensus on where to go next.

Plus, you only do things you really like. One day I had to endure an entire High School Musical show on Streets of America because I was outnumbered by HSM fans in my group. The horror.:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom