Disney Air

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Okay, So since they have the cruise line. Do you think it would be interesting to see an Airline owned by the company?

To be honest I doubt it would last. Financially. Still...If they had it, it would definatley get you pumped even more going to Disney

Mecha Figment

it's not financialy sound for Disney to step into such an unstable market. With the Disney Cruise line there isn't much competition and it's a unique offering. It is also more of a vacation destination as aposed to a way of getting there.

SewIn2Disney

Nice idea, could be very fun, but could you imagine how much money that would be? They would need a huge fleet of airplaines to service all the major airports in the country!

ToTBellHop

A more reasonable idea would be to pair up with a nice airline like they used to in the past (how about jetBlue?) and get them to offer some unique perks for Disney guests flying (e.g. mouse ears with your boarding pass). Everyone wins there--Disney promotes the airline with their vacation packages, and guests get that Disney experience from the moment they leave their home, right on through to the moment they return...and I'm sure Disney would get a ride sponsorship out of it...not that any airlines are in any shape for a sponsorship just yet, but maybe in a couple years.

It was a thought before 9/11 but not since then. It would effectively be a way to keep all Guests flying to Disney on property by taking them directly to their resort from the airport.

Disney's solution.... the creation of Disney's Magical Express and the elimination of all service by Mears to any Disney Resort.

Once the guest arrives the goal is to have them stay at Disney World and not visit any of the other attractions in Central Florida.

brisem

ISTCNavigator57 said:
A more reasonable idea would be to pair up with a nice airline like they used to in the past (how about jetBlue?) and get them to offer some unique perks for Disney guests flying (e.g. mouse ears with your boarding pass). Everyone wins there--Disney promotes the airline with their vacation packages, and guests get that Disney experience from the moment they leave their home, right on through to the moment they return...and I'm sure Disney would get a ride sponsorship out of it...not that any airlines are in any shape for a sponsorship just yet, but maybe in a couple years.

This is more feasible idea than owning an airline. With rising gas cost, it would be hard to make a profit, especially if you add in the startup cost.

Yoop33

I heard a while back Orlando/ Disney were thinking of putting a smaller airport in WDW to help the flow of amusment only travelers away from the Orlando airport. Supposedly a majority or people coming into Orlando are for amusement purposes anyway so I guess it made sense to send some busses there to pick people up. (Magical Express)

altec

I often thought that it would be a better concept to run an airline or at least have the disney name on it from the UK. The Uk only has 3-4 airports which are populare to fly from so cuts down on the operational issues of a us based fleet. I know disney already have a deal with 'first choice airways' one of the more premium tour holiday companies which makes then the official disney world airline but may be in the future this could be moved into an all disney branded airline. having said this the disney travel company did not do so well over hear so who knows!

josh_e_washie

I think it would be a cool idea...I mean they could fly just from major cities to disney destinations (i.e. New York to Orlando, Cali, Chicago to orlando, cali, etc.). Their area of the terminal could be where the disney experience begins, they could fly right into their own area of MCO, take guests right over on Magical express...I think it would be great! Not to mention, get Disney Imagineers on a plane of some sort and you KNOW it would look incredible on the inside- they would rearrange everything so everyone has tremendous amounts of legroom, Disney movies, disney food....maybe even character visits...even though it might be hard to fit mickey's ears down the ailse of a 737.....:lol: :lol:

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
mkt said:
Not a bad idea. Terrible idea.

I agree. All the airlines in the US are feeling the pain already from rising gas prices. This is not the right time to start an airline! The ideal time would have been about 15 years ago when gas prices were much lower and the airline industry was a lot less competitive.

jaylenofan86

wdwfreak05 said:
I agree. All the airlines in the US are feeling the pain already from rising gas prices. This is not the right time to start an airline! The ideal time would have been about 15 years ago when gas prices were much lower and the airline industry was a lot less competitive.

Less competitive? There is NO competition at all anymore. The only reason why airline prices are low is because of discount carriers like JetBlue and Southwest. This brings up an interesting story. I live in Sacramento, California, a pretty small city. We used to have a non-stop flight to DC on United that started in 1997 and ended in 1999. When JetBlue came to town last year with non-stops to JFK and DC, United started a "new service" non-stop to DC again! Thanks guys! Anyway, United lowered their fares to around $200 roundtrip non-stop plus their connections to compete. JetBlue just pulled the non-stop to DC from Sac and guess what? United jacked up their prices to DC by $400! I say there is barely any competition; I can't wait for Virgin America to start out of San Francisco later this year.

wedway71

Ok speak about Disney owning an airline-I swear last year or so when UAL(United Airlines) had some type of partnership by Disney owning some UAL stock somehow being in the news when they went chapter 11 because Tom Staggs made some type of debt restructure deal with the courts.
Anybody else remember this?

sring

Interesting Concept

I agree that I don't see it as financially feasible for Disney to own an airline.

That said, I can see a scenerio where Disney could partner with an airline to brand a couple of airplanes (al la Mears' DME busses) and maybe some cast members trained as flight attendants, disney in-flight films,etc.

I don't see this as having a complete a schedule as the majors, but one or two round trips a week out of major markets. Part of a Walt Disney Travel vacation package or a DCL package.

I'm not sure Disney would do it, but I can invision it, and possibly make it a break-even venture. Selling the Disney experience from point of departure until landing. It's an interesting concept.

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
jaylenofan86 said:
Less competitive? There is NO competition at all anymore. The only reason why airline prices are low is because of discount carriers like JetBlue and Southwest. This brings up an interesting story. I live in Sacramento, California, a pretty small city. We used to have a non-stop flight to DC on United that started in 1997 and ended in 1999. When JetBlue came to town last year with non-stops to JFK and DC, United started a "new service" non-stop to DC again! Thanks guys! Anyway, United lowered their fares to around $200 roundtrip non-stop plus their connections to compete. JetBlue just pulled the non-stop to DC from Sac and guess what? United jacked up their prices to DC by $400! I say there is barely any competition; I can't wait for Virgin America to start out of San Francisco later this year.

Wow. just wow.

Do I need to define what competition is for you? Just in case, I'm going to, competition is the act of compteting for the consumers business versus other competitors (that is obviously the economic definition)

Now, you're trying to tell me that the airlines could care less if the consumer chooses the fly with them or not? There is no way that is the way the airlines operate. You have to remember NUMEROUS airlines filed for bankrupcy after 9/11 and before the laws changes. They can ill afford to file again with the laws being much more strict now.

And in the case of that one flight to DC. Have you ever heard of supply and demand? Because JetBlue pulled their flight to DC United now has the option to control the price per ticket without any fear of competitors being a lower bidder. So you're saying that jacking their prices up is a sign of no competition? Because personally I think you have it backwards.

Sure, Disney could start an airline and start flying out of Sac. But guess what, even if they were to charge $200 to DC there is NO WAY they would even break even!!

There is PLENTY of competition in the airline business. You just need to realize it is a business and the airline that can produce from a hub with the least amount of expenses and still have a more affordible price is obviously going to win.

JetBlue is a disaster waiting to happen. They have pulled out of numerous airports in the past 3 years because they can not compete with the larger airlines. So it would be pointless for Disney to do the same. There is competition but only with the larger airlines.

jaylenofan86

wdwfreak05 said:
Wow. just wow.

Do I need to define what competition is for you? Just in case, I'm going to, competition is the act of compteting for the consumers business versus other competitors (that is obviously the economic definition)

Now, you're trying to tell me that the airlines could care less if the consumer chooses the fly with them or not? There is no way that is the way the airlines operate. You have to remember NUMEROUS airlines filed for bankrupcy after 9/11 and before the laws changes. They can ill afford to file again with the laws being much more strict now.

And in the case of that one flight to DC. Have you ever heard of supply and demand? Because JetBlue pulled their flight to DC United now has the option to control the price per ticket without any fear of competitors being a lower bidder. So you're saying that jacking their prices up is a sign of no competition? Because personally I think you have it backwards.

Sure, Disney could start an airline and start flying out of Sac. But guess what, even if they were to charge $200 to DC there is NO WAY they would even break even!!

There is PLENTY of competition in the airline business. You just need to realize it is a business and the airline that can produce from a hub with the least amount of expenses and still have a more affordible price is obviously going to win.

JetBlue is a disaster waiting to happen. They have pulled out of numerous airports in the past 3 years because they can not compete with the larger airlines. So it would be pointless for Disney to do the same. There is competition but only with the larger airlines.

Ummmm, do you fly about once/twice a week? There's NO competition out there. Because JetBlue is gone, United is free to charge whatever it sees fit. What's that called again? Oh ya, A MONOPOLY! Is that not illegal in the US? The legacy carriers are trying to crush the discount carriers out of business so that they can have all the routes for themselves. This is a dark time in the airline business.

WDWRLD

Ok before I say this dont jump on the "Im crazy bandwagon" because this is something I read a few years ago.
I was looking into some information on the airline industry a few years ago and discovered that the Walt Disney Co. ownes many comercial airliners (the actual planes). They inturn lease them to various air lines as do many large corporations. They dont put their name on them anywhere because when one crashes it makes alot of very bad publicity which us Disney Company stockholders do not want. Now I have tried to find more info on this and could not and dont even see anything in the annual report about it so it is very possible its not true but I did read it.

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
jaylenofan86 said:
Ummmm, do you fly about once/twice a week? There's NO competition out there. Because JetBlue is gone, United is free to charge whatever it sees fit. What's that called again? Oh ya, A MONOPOLY! Is that not illegal in the US? The legacy carriers are trying to crush the discount carriers out of business so that they can have all the routes for themselves. This is a dark time in the airline business.

:brick: please take a college economics class.

Ok so, right now our economy is recovering from what we call a RECESSION. That means that slowly our economy is becoming more stable.

HOWEVER, the airline industry is the one exception. Right now due to the rising fuel prices they are BARELY breaking a profit. So obviously the competition is very inelastic in the industry and therefore it rewards the larger airlines.

So in the case of your precious "JetBlue" they basically just caught a bad break and entered the industry at the wrong time.

Do you honestly want me to believe your monopoly theory? Look, before you start throwing these terms around look them up first! Just because there is only one airline that flies to your destination DOES NOT mean there's a monopoly!! It means that no other airline is stupid enough to try to make the same flight when it's already taken!

Think of supply and demand. There's only so many people that wish to make that flight each day. So would it really make sense for another airline to try to step in? I dont think so.

Wow, what kind of America do you live in? Believe it or not, there are people out there schemeing to make LOTS of money at the cost of the consumer, they are the ones who hold the top spots in the list of most wealthy Americans!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom