Disney Air

jaylenofan86

wdwfreak05 said:
:brick: please take a college economics class.

Ok so, right now our economy is recovering from what we call a RECESSION. That means that slowly our economy is becoming more stable.

HOWEVER, the airline industry is the one exception. Right now due to the rising fuel prices they are BARELY breaking a profit. So obviously the competition is very inelastic in the industry and therefore it rewards the larger airlines.

So in the case of your precious "JetBlue" they basically just caught a bad break and entered the industry at the wrong time.

Do you honestly want me to believe your monopoly theory? Look, before you start throwing these terms around look them up first! Just because there is only one airline that flies to your destination DOES NOT mean there's a monopoly!! It means that no other airline is stupid enough to try to make the same flight when it's already taken!

Think of supply and demand. There's only so many people that wish to make that flight each day. So would it really make sense for another airline to try to step in? I dont think so.

Wow, what kind of America do you live in? Believe it or not, there are people out there schemeing to make LOTS of money at the cost of the consumer, they are the ones who hold the top spots in the list of most wealthy Americans!

I do not fly JetBlue. I'm a Platinum on American, Premier on United, and Silver on Continental currently. I'm defending JetBlue becuase they keep my prices down on my tickets so I get elite status easier and cheaper so that I can get a first class upgrade. Just because one airline does not fly to a certain place does not mean there is no demand. The non-stop DC flights were always full to near-full on JetBlue; United just lowered their prices so much that JetBlue could not keep operating in the green. Southwest is still operating just fine because they made a deal to lock in gas prices 5 years ago, which worked out for them. There was A LOT of competition back before deregulation because the government controlled what airlines flew what routes at what prices. There was a lot of competition and everybody was happy because of it. After deregulation, the bigger airlines swallowed up the smaller airlines, causing LESS competition. Most of it was not good, for example, US Air buying PSA and dumping all California routes or American buying TWA and ditching St. Louis. If you think that there is plenty of competition going on, then I guess you haven't flown since the 1990's.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
jaylenofan86 said:
I'm a Platinum on American.

I'm an Executive Platinum on American :p

but peon level on all other airlines :brick:

But I'm SPG Plat and IC RA :D

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
jaylenofan86 said:
I do not fly JetBlue. I'm a Platinum on American, Premier on United, and Silver on Continental currently. I'm defending JetBlue becuase they keep my prices down on my tickets so I get elite status easier and cheaper so that I can get a first class upgrade. Just because one airline does not fly to a certain place does not mean there is no demand. The non-stop DC flights were always full to near-full on JetBlue; United just lowered their prices so much that JetBlue could not keep operating in the green. Southwest is still operating just fine because they made a deal to lock in gas prices 5 years ago, which worked out for them. There was A LOT of competition back before deregulation because the government controlled what airlines flew what routes at what prices. There was a lot of competition and everybody was happy because of it. After deregulation, the bigger airlines swallowed up the smaller airlines, causing LESS competition. Most of it was not good, for example, US Air buying PSA and dumping all California routes or American buying TWA and ditching St. Louis. If you think that there is plenty of competition going on, then I guess you haven't flown since the 1990's.

:lol: You fly first class? What? Do you enjoy getting money stolen away from you? Well, you're making Mr. Casey (CEO of American) and Mr. Goodman (CEO of United) very rich men.

You obviously have no clue when it comes to money because that must obviously be the least of your problems because you have plenty of it to go around.

Ok so wait. So you're saying that when the government controlled everything (which never was the case btw) there was more competition. Excuse me, but if everyone was controlled by the same source that would lead to less competition.

And you know what, that's great for Southwest that they fixed their prices.

Look, the problem is gas prices are rising and airlines are cutting all unneceassry flights. Thats all there is to it. If they don't believe its a good idea to fly from Sacramento to DC thats completely up to them seeing it is a BUSINESS.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
wdwfreak05 said:
:lol: You fly first class? What? Do you enjoy getting money stolen away from you? Well, you're making Mr. Casey (CEO of American) and Mr. Goodman (CEO of United) very rich men.

He doesn't pay for it... just like me ;)

Elite flyers rarely pay for upgrades :D He's plat, I'm one above him... and the only itin I can't seem to get upgraded on is SJU/MIA/TPA-SJU. Everything else is smooth sailing

wdwfreak05 said:
You obviously have no clue when it comes to money because that must obviously be the least of your problems because you have plenty of it to go around.

He doesn't (I know him too well), and neither do I.... travel wisely ;)

There are many ways to get upgrades for minimal money and effort that aren't cheating or stealing in any way.

jaylenofan86

wdwfreak05 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I pay only about $6,000 a year for Ex. Plat. on American, 1K on United, and Plat. on Continental for all the free upgrades and award tickets. I earn about 12 free roundtrips in first class to anywhere in the world plus free domestic upgrades anytime I fly. It's good to be elite. BTW, it's Mr. Apery that's CEO of American and Mr. Tilton for United. :animwink:

kennygman77

sring said:
I agree that I don't see it as financially feasible for Disney to own an airline.

Ummm, have you looked at what they charge for the EXACT SAME flight. Say DFW to MCO is about 200-300 more through Disney website for a family of 5 versus booking on aa.com directly and still using all the disney services. I'd say they could make a big profit flying only from major airports nonstop service to Disney. People pay more for Disney, just look at the cruise line. It is better for fams and much more per person. They could easily operate say the top 10-15 cities nonstop and make a profit.

Back to the economics discussion. The airlines that filed bankrupt didn't go out of business they only restructured their debt. I can't buy that they don't EVER profit on a year to year basis. They just hide them under a LOT of federal tax loopholes. If they failed as much as they claimed, all the CEOs would be axed and new ones brought in. Remember, don't ever buy the corporate hype!

wdwfreak05

Account Suspended
jaylenofan86 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I pay only about $6,000 a year for Ex. Plat. on American, 1K on United, and Plat. on Continental for all the free upgrades and award tickets. I earn about 12 free roundtrips in first class to anywhere in the world plus free domestic upgrades anytime I fly. It's good to be elite. BTW, it's Mr. Apery that's CEO of American and Mr. Tilton for United. :animwink:

Oh only $6,000? Oh well then that's like nothing :brick:

Just a little FYI... when you declare bankrupcy when mommy and daddy cut you off no one is going to care when you have no one to turn to.

This argument is going no where and that's why I've had enough here. No matte what I say you still dont get it.

BTW, on a personal note, you might wanna consider giving ur gf just a little freedom and show u trust her. But thats a whole 'nother issue. i wont go there.

sring

kennygman77 said:
Ummm, have you looked at what they charge for the EXACT SAME flight. Say DFW to MCO is about 200-300 more through Disney website for a family of 5 versus booking on aa.com directly and still using all the disney services. I'd say they could make a big profit flying only from major airports nonstop service to Disney. People pay more for Disney, just look at the cruise line. It is better for fams and much more per person. They could easily operate say the top 10-15 cities nonstop and make a profit.

Back to the economics discussion. The airlines that filed bankrupt didn't go out of business they only restructured their debt. I can't buy that they don't EVER profit on a year to year basis. They just hide them under a LOT of federal tax loopholes. If they failed as much as they claimed, all the CEOs would be axed and new ones brought in. Remember, don't ever buy the corporate hype!

I didn't comparison shop Disney's website vs. Air Tran separately. If I recall though the pricing on the ticket (I actually got paper tickets from Disney which shocked me) it was what I would have expected at street price.

I don't see disney owning an airline as financially feasible in part because it's not a core competency of the company. They don't own the buss line or directly employ the drivers for DME, it's branded, but outsourced.

Do I think Disney could get a premium price for an air ticket sure. I still don;t see them running 3-4 nonstops a day from Philadelphia like USAirways (or America west or whatever we're calling them these days), not to mention other major markets. I can see them managing loads with like 1-2 nonstops a week and rotating that aircraft through a couple of markets during the course of the week.

I also think if they were to try something, even as a pilot program (no pun intended) they'd outsource to an airline (charter, lowfare or major). And I'd probably pay a couple of bucks more for my kids to see a 737 (or a 757) with Mickey on it, and goofy on the peanuts (and a complimentary Jaws of Life(TM) to open the peanuts).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom