News 'Disney After Hours' ticketed event

PeoplemoverTTA

I would consider this if the crowds will be low. For me to buy such an event ticket, the wait times don't all have to be between walk on and 5 minutes, but if there are 20+ minute waits for most rides I would prefer just using a regular ticket to MK. From what I have read on this thread, lines were quite reasonable (low) during past events like this.

We went to one of these in January 2017 and literally went 5 minutes without running into another person. IF (and that's a big "if") the same number of tickets was being sold and they didn't ratchet up the crowds like they've done for the holiday parties over the years, I still think this is worthwhile if it's within your budget. Still, taking advantage of winter downtimes feels a LOT different than a night that would typically have longer hours in the middle of summer...

drp4video

I remember when they had e-ride nights at MK. If you stayed at a resort and had at least a 4 day ticket, you paid $12.50 for an extra theee hours in the park. It was awesome. No waiting. In fact, we rode splash mountain 6 times in a row without ever getting out of the log. Everytime we came to the end of the ride, the cm asked if we just wanted to go around again!

AJDMB05

This was a tough thread to get through. I get why this makes people upset, it's just another thing that it feels like we used to get for free. But it's not going away, the fact that it's happening in the summer of all times proves it.

Personally, I'm *amazed* they haven't introduced a tiered After Hours structure. Something like a red lanyard for $119 gets you the standard After Hours Experience, and for $199 you get a blue lanyard that gets you an ADDITIONAL 3 hours. As someone said previously they have not found the price point that people won't pay. The parks are seemingly jammed all the time. They're building new lands, new hotels, new transportation, it's not going to get any better.

I've been going to WDW since I was 6 years old in 1994; I miss the old days like everyone else, but the days of "quiet times" and off season are gone. Events like this absolutely are a pain in the butt for the good people who save their money and plan a vacation for a family of 4 or more for months on end, and I feel bad for people who get cheated out of park time or have to pay more money. This is a huge benefit for some people though. I plan on being in the area for work in Feb 2019, not enough for a full WDW vacation but I'm hoping there's an After Hours night so I can get one night in the park with very little wait.

The price point could be more accessible, but these events are selling out. I have a feeling in a couple years when this is $199/person we'll be looking back fondly on the days when this event "only" cost $119.

larandtra

I have no issue with the "after hours" offerings. This is one of those "choices". Unlike the parking fees they have dropped in where you get nothing extra of value for the extra money and have no choice but to pay it, this is a choice. And for some, there will be value in it.

FigmentForver96

Everest isn't really that big a deal. The single rider queue is always there which has short wait times.
Kali also has 5 - 10 minute wait times throughout the day as most people don't want to get soaked.

Lines for Dino are longer but I don't like that ride.
Yea the lines were much longer during the day and I've done Disney enough to know what slow and busy looks like 😉

Biff215

I have no issue with the "after hours" offerings. This is one of those "choices". Unlike the parking fees they have dropped in where you get nothing extra of value for the extra money and have no choice but to pay it, this is a choice. And for some, there will be value in it.
Except the park gets busier for day guests for three hours when party guests come in at 7:00. And busy summer nights that were previously extended until midnight or later (with no extra charge) cannot happen anymore. This is simply a way to extend the fall/winter party nights that have turned into such a huge revenue stream for WDW. As others have said, they now have a way to sell the MK up to three times a day. Great for business, pretty terrible for guests IMO, although I know some will disagree.

Kman101

I'd have no issue with the After Hours party if it wasn't cutting into normal summer closures of 11/12. Start the party at Midnight and have it be a true "after hours" party, put the VIPs in pajamas and guests will eat it up. So I don't necessarily begrudge the idea, but I disagree with the way they go about it, which I think could apply to many here.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'd have no issue with the After Hours party if it wasn't cutting into normal summer closures of 11/12. Start the party at Midnight and have it be a true "after hours" party, put the VIPs in pajamas and guests will eat it up. So I don't necessarily begrudge the idea, but I disagree with the way they go about it, which I think could apply to many here.

That would be an awesome way to handle the parties in the summer, Yet I fear that Disney's mindset is more along the lines of selling the parks 3x DAILY. For me the saddest thing is Disney used to be all about making everyone there feel like a VIP, Now it seems to be along the lines of the gypsy carnival run by people only interested in collecting the last dime from every visitor.

Kman101

That would be an awesome way to handle the parties in the summer, Yet I fear that Disney's mindset is more along the lines of selling the parks 3x DAILY. For me the saddest thing is Disney used to be all about making everyone there feel like a VIP, Now it seems to be along the lines of the gypsy carnival run by people only interested in collecting the last dime from every visitor.

Unfortunately the whole idea seems to be to sell the park twice in a day. Shame.

huwar18

Remember the days where you could be in the park till 3AM without an upcharge?

I remember staying at the parks from open to close (3 am) when I was little. Those were some long days. However, they were awesome. Stay up to 4 am and getting up at 7 to get back to the parks the next day. Shot, we are going back Friday and I think the latest MAgic Kingdom is open is 11.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We watched that video a couple of days ago. It looked completely empty. It seemed like Disney purposely did that because they knew the media groups would broadcast an empty park and this would entice people to come to the parties.

Just so you know, I did DAH in February and it was just like that. The whole point is that the park is 'empty' like that. That's what you're paying for. The free passes to 'influencers' happens on a regular basis especially for all the special events.

huwar18

Just so you know, I did DAH in February and it was just like that. The whole point is that the park is 'empty' like that. That's what you're paying for. The free passes to 'influencers' happens on a regular basis especially for all the special events.

Thanks for the info. That’s good to know. There is one scheduled when he head there. I might end up dropping a day and do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom