Disney Adventures Magazine stops publication

MattBoom

Original Poster
I found the below press release online...

Disney Publishing Worldwide will fold its Disney Adventures with the November issue to focus on new magazine and book efforts, a company spokesperson said.

Publisher Mary Beth Wright will stay at Disney Publishing as the publisher of parenting title FamilyFun, which Disney continues to publish, along with Wondertime (where Dave Mevorah is publisher). She became the publisher of both titles last year. The fate of the editor and other staffers has not been determined.

Subscribers will be offered a refund or a subscription to one of the other Disney Publishing titles.

Disney Adventures is the second casualty in the kid magazine category this year since MTV Networks folded its 638,679-circ Nick Jr. Family magazine with the April issue.

The Disney magazine launched in 1990 for kids ages 6-14. Disney Adventures reported 97.9 ad pages in the first half of this year, an increase of 4.5 percent vs. the year-ago period, according to Publishers Information Bureau. The title had a mostly subscriber-based circ of 1.2 million, per its most recent BPA audit of December 2006.

GrimGrinninAnna

That's interesting. Actually the entire market is in trouble. Time Inc sold its baby and child mags and Child magazine also closed. Not to mention the teen titles that have folded.Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Champion

Magazines just can't survive anymore. Unless they are quick publications (Time, Sports Illustrated) the lead time kills all their stories.

Unless they try to go the direction of Wired (bigger, more thorough, more stories, thicker paper, stuff like that) then there is little reason to not just get the stories on the internet.

dandaman

Man... I think I still have all their magazines, up to a few years ago, somewhere in my attic. I loved those things. :lol:

^Playboy seems to have survived quite nicely over the years. :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quite honestly with the current capabilities of the Internet is surprises me that there is a single magazine still in publication.

Champion

Man... I think I still have all their magazines, up to a few years ago, somewhere in my attic. I loved those things. :lol:

^Playboy seems to have survived quite nicely over the years. :lookaroun

Playboy's circulation is about 45% of what it was 20 years ago. So no, it hasn't. Playboy's biggest circulation will soon not be the US.

This isn't just magazines. To a certain extent, though not as bad, newspapers are going through the same thing.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Playboy's circulation is about 45% of what it was 20 years ago. So no, it hasn't. Playboy's biggest circulation will soon not be the US.

This isn't just magazines. To a certain extent, though not as bad, newspapers are going through the same thing.
There have been several articles about that very thing. It seems that newspaper subscriptions nation wide are suffering. In a few years when the full Internet will be commonly available on cell phones there will be almost no need for printed newspapers. To quote Dr. Egon Spengler "Print is dead"

MattBoom

Original Poster
It's true that publishers won't get the kind of numbers they did before the Internet.

But there will always be a place for magazines and newspapers until they invent some sort of fold-up electronic paper you can put in your wallet.

Of course I wouldn't be starting Orlando Attractions Magazine if I didn't believe that.

GrimGrinninAnna

Magazines just can't survive anymore. Unless they are quick publications (Time, Sports Illustrated) the lead time kills all their stories.

Unless they try to go the direction of Wired (bigger, more thorough, more stories, thicker paper, stuff like that) then there is little reason to not just get the stories on the internet.

Even though circulation is down the trouble is with advertisers pulling for custom journals or online where there's quicker turnaround. Magazines still have a fan base but many are going the way oh the web as well as print. I'm an editor at a national title and the amount of press, reader responses, and circulation has never kept me up at night. At the same time we have a big web presence. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney do this.

jjgoo

Well I don't have any kids so I cannot speak about Disney Adventures. I do however like to read and I do subscribe to Arthur Frommers Budget Travel Magazine.

I have to say that I would be really upset if that publication went totally on-line. I like to be able to sit at the couch, outside, in bed, wherever and relax and read the magazine. I am more than willing to spend the $12-$14 a year for a subscription. I also would in fact hate it if my only option was to sit at my computer or have to download pages onto some electronic device to read the magazine.

Technology, the internet and etc. are great and I use them but print is far from dead.

I would guess that Dinsey probably sees an opening for a different kind of magazine for kids and that is why they are folding the magazine. There is probably an opportunity to cross market with print, TV and internet and they want to focus their efforts on that cross promotion opportunity rather than continue to publish a magazine that they probably decided to fold months ago. The publishing world is always in flux and this is just another example.

JimboJones123

Women's and Gossip mags are the hot ones right now. I can't go to lunch w/o seeing at least a dozen ladies flipping through the rags. I can't tell you the last time I had a Mag subscription -- besides my Game Informer that comes free w/my Gamestop Card -- Oh yeah, it was Disney Magazine.

ImaYoyo

It's funny that you mention that, because that's one of the reason's that I enjoy my blackberry. I can pull up my favorite publications/websites from anywhere. Always have something to read. on the couch, bedroom, at a theme park when I'm waiting for something, in my car, ect.

That being said, DW enjoys things in print, where as I enjoy them electronically. Especially with my new Blackberry Pearl that doesn't blind me when I look at it. It's actually quite gentle on the eyes.
Well I don't have any kids so I cannot speak about Disney Adventures. I do however like to read and I do subscribe to Arthur Frommers Budget Travel Magazine.

I have to say that I would be really upset if that publication went totally on-line. I like to be able to sit at the couch, outside, in bed, wherever and relax and read the magazine. I am more than willing to spend the $12-$14 a year for a subscription. I also would in fact hate it if my only option was to sit at my computer or have to download pages onto some electronic device to read the magazine.

Technology, the internet and etc. are great and I use them but print is far from dead.

I would guess that Dinsey probably sees an opening for a different kind of magazine for kids and that is why they are folding the magazine. There is probably an opportunity to cross market with print, TV and internet and they want to focus their efforts on that cross promotion opportunity rather than continue to publish a magazine that they probably decided to fold months ago. The publishing world is always in flux and this is just another example.

DisneyBuffinDE

My DH works for Conde Nast Publications so every once in a while he will call me and tell me a magazine closed. A few weeks ago they closed Jane magazine. I'm more on line but for DH sake I hope people still buy paper magazines. I usually look at them only when I'm waiting for the doctors or on the bike at the gym.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom