Disney 50th on Yahoo!

sabian

:wave: The marketing, at least for television, is geared toward the region of the country you live. Here in the southeast, New Orleans in my case, disney knows that very few people treck to California for their disney fix.....Therefore, Disneyland commercials would be a waste of commercial dollars... The expense of a cross country trip is a bit much for most people ....They run Walt Disney World because it is the destination of people who live in certain regions....I am sure that people on the West Coast and who are closer to Disneyland than they are Walt Disney World are being bombarded with Disneyland's 50th celebration commercials....I may be incorrect, but from a marketing standpoint, it would not make much sense to run commercials in a region where you have an extremely low probablility of people actually venturing to that destination....Commercially, you do much better marketing to that particular region.... Not to mention, Walt Disney World is the corporation's crown jewel. WDW's attendance dwarfs that of DL's....... :wave:

sabian

With all due respect, i don't believe Walt viewed Disneyland as a mistake....I believe he viewed his approach to land purchasing a mistake.. Honestly, i do not know if Walt knew that Disneyland would be such an enormous success. Yes, he knew it would be successful, but whether he envisioned the success Disneyland reached, only Walt would know. Who could have envisioned what Disneyland became? who knew that all the hotels, fast food joints, and such would pop up like that....To know of the future success of DL, then yes, you would have envisioned what happened. But honestly, hindsight is 20/20, i believe Walt understood that, realized that what he did at Disneyland was very special, but could have done better and corrected and brought his dream to full fruition with WDW. It is unfortunate, however, that Walt, or Roy, never got the chance to see the global success that wdw became.... :cry:

Yen_Sid1

I'm sure that the advertising budgets are just different. Last time I was in California, I saw a lot of TV ads for WDW and Universal-Orlando and in Florida, I never see ads for Disneyland or Universal-Hollywood.

socalkdg

Only one day to visit, I'd take DL over MK everyday.

If you only have one day to see a park, and only one park, Disneyland is the way to go. It has everything the MK has, plus Indy, Matterhorn, Star Tours, HISTA, Fantasmic, Innovations, Mr Toad, the Subs(w/ Nemo to be announced 5-5). It has a better Toontown, better Pirates, better Space Mountain(after rehab), better Autopia, better Small World, better Buzz, the monorail goes through the park, the train has the dinosaurs, etc. Its also much easier to get around, gather FP, etc.

Now having said that, I take yearly vacations to WDW because it is the place to go for a 5-10 day vacation(being on the west coast I do 10 day trips). If I were Disney I'd advertise the heck out of WDW over DLR. The money spent at WDW is probably triple that spent at DLR.

Real_Epcot_Fan

Absolutely right

socalkdg said:
If you only have one day to see a park, and only one park, Disneyland is the way to go. It has everything the MK has, plus Indy, Matterhorn, Star Tours, HISTA, Fantasmic, Innovations, Mr Toad, the Subs(w/ Nemo to be announced 5-5). It has a better Toontown, better Pirates, better Space Mountain(after rehab), better Autopia, better Small World, better Buzz, the monorail goes through the park, the train has the dinosaurs, etc. Its also much easier to get around, gather FP, etc.

Now having said that, I take yearly vacations to WDW because it is the place to go for a 5-10 day vacation(being on the west coast I do 10 day trips). If I were Disney I'd advertise the heck out of WDW over DLR. The money spent at WDW is probably triple that spent at DLR.

All you said is perfectly accurated. If we compare head to head the Magic Kingdom and the Disneyland Park, Disneyland definitely wins out in everything, and i do love to death the Magic Kingdom and have gone to the Magic Kingdom over 20 times compared to just 3 times to the Disneyland Park. Disneyland from my point of view is like one and a half theme park compared with any of the 4 Orlando theme parks, and DCA is slowly becoming better and better. The problem of course is in the Resort structure, with the land space they have at Anaheim, they couldnt build all the Hotels they have in Orlando, so i think basically thats the problem. And i dont think no one of us can tell if Disney thought Disneyland was an error yes or no, or if he would like more WDW than Disneyland, because only Mr. Walt would know, but i am sure he would have never thought Disneyland was an error, even thou might have his problems, but overall nothing is 100% perfect and like i said i dont think those minor problems affect the Disney Magicl experience at all.

And i wonder if they would at least mention Disneyland, when WDW celebrates its OWN anniversary :fork:

Real_Epcot_Fan said:
All you said is perfectly accurated. If we compare head to head the Magic Kingdom and the Disneyland Park, Disneyland definitely wins out in everything, and i do love to death the Magic Kingdom and have gone to the Magic Kingdom over 20 times compared to just 3 times to the Disneyland Park. Disneyland from my point of view is like one and a half theme park compared with any of the 4 Orlando theme parks, and DCA is slowly becoming better and better. The problem of course is in the Resort structure, with the land space they have at Anaheim, they couldnt build all the Hotels they have in Orlando, so i think basically thats the problem. And i dont think no one of us can tell if Disney thought Disneyland was an error yes or no, or if he would like more WDW than Disneyland, because only Mr. Walt would know, but i am sure he would have never thought Disneyland was an error, even thou might have his problems, but overall nothing is 100% perfect and like i said i dont think those minor problems affect the Disney Magicl experience at all.

And i wonder if they would at least mention Disneyland, when WDW celebrates its OWN anniversary :fork:

Actually Walt did say how mad he was with Disneyland because he never had any room to expand the park and hated the fact that the magic was interrupted by the urban sprawl and the congestion and that the mistakes he made with Disneyland would be corrected at Disney World. Check out his video on the Walt Disney Treasures Tomorrowland limited edition DVD where he talks about the Florida project and E.P.C.O.T.

Woody13 said:
Of course it is not the fault of Disneyland. However, as I stated, Walt realized very early that Disneyland was a mistake. He learned from that mistake and then created the park he really wanted.

Sadly, the park that he really wanted was never realized because after his death the company basically copied Disneyland and all of Walt's dreams for Disney World and the Magic Kingdom were never realized. :cry:

Which is why we should fight tooth and nail to keep CoP so that part of Walt's dream and legacy will always be preserved at his dream destination! Sorry, just had to get that in there. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom