Rumor Disney 100: Great Moments with Uncle Walt to Replace Mr. Lincoln

PiratesMansion

From what I understand the current rumor is not that Lincoln will be replaced, but that Walt will be introduced, so the show will feature both Walt Disney and Abraham Lincoln. Will it be a Walt Disney introduction to the show using old audio files of Walt talking about Abraham Lincoln? Will Lincoln and Walt have dialogue together? If it's the former, I can honestly enjoy and appreciate that and I think it'll help get butts in seats for Mr. Lincoln, but if it's the latter that will feel gimmicky.
It's worth noting that there actually is footage of Walt talking about Mr. Lincoln right after the Frederick Douglass film now. I thought that was a nice touch.

It would be interesting (not necessarily saying I'd want it, but interesting) that IF they brought back some sort of larger Walt presence in whatever capacity, they could sort of sell it as going back to the "Walt Disney Story Featuring Great Moments w/ Lincoln" branding.

BrianLo

Important to note that Great Moments with Mr Lincoln debuted 98 years after his death.

We're starting to get closer to that number with Walt's than when he was alive.

I don't know what the statue of limitations are on these things, but we're clearly getting there. He's much more of a historical figure that frankly deserves to be somewhat preserved. Whatever he'd think about it is about as relevant as what Lincoln would think.

BrianLo

Actually, using American Adventure as a baseline, it seems the statue of limitations is somewhere over 40 years, which feels about right to me. An animatronic of Walt in the 90s would have felt incredibly crass.

Will Rogers I think is the youngest and was dead for 47 years by the time of The American Adventure debut. Many of the other figures died in the early 19th century which would put them 60-70 years dead at its debut. 63 for Teddy and John Muir. Mark Twain was 72 years and he is largely depicted as his old man self just before he died and is a main lead.

Walt is currently 57 on.

BasiltheBatLord

This feels a bit weird/creepy to me, but I think more interesting is what this says about the rumors that Disney was trying to run away from Walt's image.

TP2000

Actually, using American Adventure as a baseline, it seems the statue of limitations is somewhere over 40 years, which feels about right to me. An animatronic of Walt in the 90s would have felt incredibly crass.

Will Rogers I think is the youngest and was dead for 47 years by the time of The American Adventure debut. Many of the other figures died in the early 19th century which would put them 60-70 years dead at its debut. 63 for Teddy and John Muir. Mark Twain was 72 years and he is largely depicted as his old man self just before he died and is a main lead.

Walt is currently 57 on.

That is really great info, and genuinely fascinating! Thanks for compiling it for us. :)

I was stuck in a long line at Target last week because I insist on going to my favorite Target Lady for a funny chat on my weekly Target Runs. And I started playing math games in my head about how long it had been between each New Tomorrowland debut; 11 years, then 30 years, and now it's been 27 years since the last one with no good news in sight.

But your thought on the amount of time that Walt has been gone is a really good point. I think it's time for him to have better presence at Disneyland, and it would certainly put to rest the rumors that Burbank's HR department is trying to erase him from history and just wants to call the company "Disney", as if it's like asking for a Kleenex or a Xerox of something.

BrianLo

That is really great info, and genuinely fascinating! Thanks for compiling it for us. :)

I was stuck in a long line at Target last week because I insist on going to my favorite Target Lady for a funny chat on my weekly Target Runs. And I started playing math games in my head about how long it had been between each New Tomorrowland debut; 11 years, then 30 years, and now it's been 27 years since the last one with no good news in sight.

But your thought on the amount of time that Walt has been gone is a really good point. I think it's time for him to have better presence at Disneyland, and it would certainly put to rest the rumors that Burbank's HR department is trying to erase him from history and just wants to call the company "Disney", as if it's like asking for a Kleenex or a Xerox of something.

Walt’s Dad was 6 years old when Lincoln died. Mine was 6 years old when Walt died.

I’d actually say you are probably one of the few forum members who can properly claim to remember Walt from when he was alive.

I’d go so far as saying this is actually an important thing that he get better immortalized for future generations. In Disneyland at least. It’s time.

disneylandcm

Walt’s Dad was 6 years old when Lincoln died. Mine was 6 years old when Walt died.

I’d actually say you are probably one of the few forum members who can properly claim to remember Walt from when he was alive.

I’d go so far as saying this is actually an important thing that he get better immortalized for future generations. In Disneyland at least. It’s time.
I was born in 1960 too. At first the thought of a Walt AA made me wary but the perspective you gave us on The American Adventure figures and the understanding that he’s being forgotten has changed my mind. My one hope is that they create a very good sculpt of his features. Presumably they will be careful to be accurate.

yensidtlaw1969

Disney is purposefully installing a turntable so Walt and Lincoln can run shows in repertory.

They'll likely run the Walt shows exclusively for a bit, but when the time comes they'll be ready to alternate shows easily.

Would have been a lot cheaper just to replace Lincoln with Walt. They wouldn't have spent the money if they wanted Lincoln gone. He's sticking around, thankfully.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
I am shocked to hear about this. First off, I can't believe they're actually leaning into Walt. But here's the thing...how could it possibly be good? They are almost certainly going to screw this up somehow.

PiratesMansion

I'm mildly horrified, mildly intregued.

It feels like yesterday when I first went to Yesterland and read this line referring to The Walt Disney Story: "Step into the Main Street Opera House for a tribute to a truly great American… Abraham Lincoln? No. Walt Disney!"

Now, in a sense, I'm living it. Just an odd, odd feeling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom