Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm surprised that no one has added any information. There will be a press conference in early January announcing it to the world. The rollout of phase one will be complete by the end of February. And you all really need to read the Magic Band specifications that have been posted on the FCC website. Each Magic Band will have three seperate methods of communication. Two will be passive being UHF and UF. The other one however will transmit via a small battery built into the band. I noticed several postings that people doubted that Disney would install the infastructure to have readers all over the parks. I hate to break it to you but the entire infastructure has already been laid. The final component will be the actual installation of the different readers across property. By the end of February every turnstyle, room lock, fastpass dispenser and photo pass reader will be removed for the new RF enabled devices. Additionally, you will see the installation of new tap to pay devices at every Disney controlled register (Matra terminal) accross property, as well as RF Fast Pass (+) readers at every attraction entrance. Beyond that you will also see new check in readers at character interactions, QSR restaurants, Scheduled Shows and performances as well as reserved seating.

Quite frankly you can choose to believe or not. But the change is happening. RF locks and Touch to Pay readers are active in all Deluxe properties as well as the new Value resort. Portals which will replace turnstiles have been installed in small sections at each of the four park entrances. Disney has invested over a billion dollars in this technology. It will be live in a short time.

I think what some people meant by that was having enough readers around the parks so they could track every inch of your movement in the parks. I don't doubt that they would put readers at the entrance to every ride, store and resturant, but I have doubts that they would try to track beyond that.

Secret? Yes, WDW cast members on the seperate projects associated with NGE have been told to keep it a secret. But in reality it has never been a secret in a very long time. WDPR Chairman Tom Staggs announced it in a very public press conference two years ago. Sure he did not give the actual "Disney names". But he said exactly what the technology would do. So sure Magic Band was a secret but everyone knew that was not going to last long as radio transmissions require public government approval. Going point by point in his words

Summary
"In the coming years, we’ll introduce a broad, integrated
set of systems and tools that will help us create a more seamless,
personalized experience, and help guests to get more out of their visit
with us. That’s our ultimate goal – to welcome more and more people,
while making their experience more satisfying, more personal and more
immersive. "

Eliminating the front desk and mailing keys (Magic Bands)
"We also plan to simplify
the check-in process so that guests will arrive at the resort with room
key in hand. They will be able to go straight to their room or a theme
park – again, allowing them to get to the fun faster. "

Fast Pass +
"we are
currently developing an innovative system that will, in essence, create a
version of FASTPASS for their entire Disney vacations. Now we define the
guest experience as beginning from the time a potential guest sits down
at a computer or picks up a phone to make a reservation. Our new tools
will help them better understand all that we have to offer and better plan
their time with us."

Expanding reservations to character interactions
"Guests will be able to reserve times for their favorite attractions and
character interactions…"

Reserving Show Seats
"secure seats at our shows and spectaculars"

Tracking guest to better control assets
"We’re also developing the means to better assess and manage guest
traffic throughout our theme parks so that we can use entertainment
experiences, characters, and other forms of Disney magic to help improve
the flow of guests during peak periods… and drive increased utilization
as a result for our parks. Through this work, we will put better
information into the hands of our cast, so they can deliver even better
and more personalized service for our guests. "

Interactive character experiences
"And the tools that we’re creating will allow
them to greet and interact with our guests in an immersive and highlypersonalized way. "

Clever Name

Ugh... ugh... ugh... ugh...

Reading all that - even if it's a recap of what we already know- is like getting poked in the eye repeatedly.
There is one thing that has been left out. Disney had intended to replace the biometric finger scans with biometric photo scans. They backed off because they feared a public backlash (I think). However, the cameras are in place and they may have just decided to use the photo biometric system in concert with finger biometrics for the first year or two.

G00fyDad

People freak out that they are being forced by big brother to wear a wrist band until they see you can buy it with characters on them and suddenly they own 10.

I'll collect them. But I have always liked the arm band idea. My issue with other in regards to this is that they seem to think of it as an "either or" situation. "I have to get the arm band or I cannot use FP." Some people do not seem to realize that you can likely opt out of the arm bands. But I am going to get one if they have characters on them. I will add it to my Goofy collection.

Rasvar

I'll eat my shorts if the system is ready by February. I fully expect the full roll out to be pushed back by at least three or four months. The systems are way too buggy on the front end right now. With as visible the system problems are and as haggard as the people working on it seem to be, that system is not currently near ready to be rolled into production. I'm thinking May until the bands are put into production. The bands have not even been tested yet. There are still way too many bugs in that system. The website that the guests will use is still a mess and the apps are hanging up left and right when you try to use them in the parks.

wedenterprises

I'll collect them. But I have always liked the arm band idea. My issue with other in regards to this is that they seem to think of it as an "either or" situation. "I have to get the arm band or I cannot use FP." Some people do not seem to realize that you can likely opt out of the arm bands. But I am going to get one if they have characters on them. I will add it to my Goofy collection.

Oh I'll totally get one. I'm all for wristbands if it saves me running around the park or going to DHS at opening just for a 6pm TSMM fast pass.

Jane Doe

Oh I'll totally get one. I'm all for wristbands if it saves me running around the park or going to DHS at opening just for a 6pm TSMM fast pass.

If large South American tour groups get special treatment with FP+ you'll still be getting your 6.00pm pass but you'll be booking it from the comfort of your own home.

Longhairbear

I copied and pasted my response from another site that is a DVC forum. The general discussion is about how Next Gen affects we DVC members. My response is to the idea posted that RFID will give Disney a better understanding of the spending habits of guests, and DVC members in particular and whether we spend more, or less than the typical guest at WDW.
Which reminds me of the spending we used to do. I have to look for that Tree Of Life tabletop waterfall fountain we bought years ago.

It will be interesting to find out how we DVC members spend our money. I would be on the side of spending less. Not being able to get ADR's, or seating at the last minute have us getting only 2 ADR per trip months in advance for Victoria & Albert, Le Cellier or Brown Derby etc. QS sandwiches, or a cup of coffee, and a Micky Ice cream are the only food we buy in the parks. We buy groceries off site, and cook in for most all meals. Some small groceries we buy in the resort store, and other stuff we pack from home.
My husband collects certain pins, but I usually get myself nothing anymore, unless it's a new book about Disney, or a music cd. Our souvenir spending has dropped dramatically over the years.

bhg469

I copied and pasted my response from another site that is a DVC forum. The general discussion is about how Next Gen affects we DVC members. My response is to the idea posted that RFID will give Disney a better understanding of the spending habits of guests, and DVC members in particular and whether we spend more, or less than the typical guest at WDW.
Which reminds me of the spending we used to do. I have to look for that Tree Of Life tabletop waterfall fountain we bought years ago.

It will be interesting to find out how we DVC members spend our money. I would be on the side of spending less. Not being able to get ADR's, or seating at the last minute have us getting only 2 ADR per trip months in advance for Victoria & Albert, Le Cellier or Brown Derby etc. QS sandwiches, or a cup of coffee, and a Micky Ice cream are the only food we buy in the parks. We buy groceries off site, and cook in for most all meals. Some small groceries we buy in the resort store, and other stuff we pack from home.
My husband collects certain pins, but I usually get myself nothing anymore, unless it's a new book about Disney, or a music cd. Our souvenir spending has dropped dramatically over the years.

Your decrease in spending seems like its mostly Disney doing it to themselves. The souvenirs are something I never buy anymore even though I don't go often. Mainly because there is nothing unique. We were looking to buy some toys for our dog and once when there was a whole pet store there is now an end cap at world of Disney. It is really sad when I'm asking them to give me a reason to spend my money.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Your decrease in spending seems like its mostly Disney doing it to themselves. The souvenirs are something I never buy anymore even though I don't go often. Mainly because there is nothing unique. We were looking to buy some toys for our dog and once when there was a whole pet store there is now an end cap at world of Disney. It is really sad when I'm asking them to give me a reason to spend my money.
Yeah, the whole One Disney thing really is a turn off. I don't want "Disney Parks" merchandise. I want Haunted Mansion/Pirates/Magic Kingdom's Space mountain stuff. I want Polynesian shirts at the Polynesian ...only. I want unique merchandise at all the stores the way it use to be; the days when Adventureland had Adventureland stuff....not the same stuff as I will find in Fantasyland and at DHS stores.

G00fyDad

Yeah, the whole One Disney thing really is a turn off. I don't want "Disney Parks" merchandise. I want Haunted Mansion/Pirates/Magic Kingdom's Space mountain stuff. I want Polynesian shirts at the Polynesian ...only. I want unique merchandise at all the stores the way it use to be; the days when Adventureland had Adventureland stuff....not the same stuff as I will find in Fantasyland and at DHS stores.

applause.gif

Longhairbear

Something I didn't mention was that I have not used my DVC in FLA for going on 3 years now, so I haven't spent any money at WDW at all. I've been using my points elsewhere.

Ava83

Oh please. There are a great many folks who understand the technology and are against it. Your side is also full of ignorant folks who have no idea how anything works, and will blissfully wear/activate/use anything that a company or government says they should.

It's irrelevant where the credit card data is stored. I can still get near you, remotely scan you, dup it, then go dine at Vic and Al's and the bill shows up on your account, not to mention get into your resort room. And you won't even know about it until you get home and find all this extra stuff on your credit card bill.

Yes, it probably won't happen, because doing it at Disney is rather limiting, and the folks working on this will be frying larger fish (such as credit cards).

But that doesn't change the fact that a device that broadcasts room keys and financial info is insane.

If this bracelet can track you, wouldn't an alarm be sounded if you are two places at once?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If this bracelet can track you, wouldn't an alarm be sounded if you are two places at once?

That's assuming the card was used in two different places within a short enough period of time that the person could not have gotten from on to the other. Yes, they could look for unusual patterns, but the question is will they be concerned enough about this happening to bother doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom