Disney’s Q3 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Build a Black Panther land. Many naysayers but Iger pushed it to make the movie happen. The rest is history. I’ll be one of the first to check out.
I'm sure you would be.

That would be right up their ally... but I think they are already making one of their cruise ships Marvel / Black Panther-ish.... because you know when one thinks of Disney, the first thing that comes to mind is a Black Panther statue 🤦‍♂️

Lilofan

who thought it would fail because of the race and color of those in the movie? no one... if it's a good story and produced right
There was much pushback to Iger but Iger made it happen and green lighted Black Panther. You are incorrect. Marvel execs tried talking Iger into not green lighting BP. Iger did the right thing. When the boss says do it , you make it happen.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
There was much pushback to Iger but Iger made it happen and green lighted Black Panther. You are incorrect. Marvel execs tried talking Iger into not green lighting BP. Iger did the right thing. When the boss says do it , you make it happen.
maybe those same Marvel execs should have tried talking Iger into not green lighting "The Marvels" 👀

Bob delivered there... right in the toilet

LSLS

Bingo... and the difference for people going to Disney vs Universal this year, is those who frequently visit Universal are likely waiting for Epic to open. Disney.... well... we got Communicore Cafeteria Hall I guess.
I do think a lot are saving to hit Epic next year. But I think what you really saw is that a lot will be one and done with Universal (hence the huge jump last year at CA which then plummeted back down this year). I think they have hit a similar thing as Disney where they have outpriced their market, and by a lot. Which is why I'm not convinced even Magic Kingdom won't be hurt next year with Epic opening. I think Universal is going to be smart and make their pricing so that people end up at their other parks as well next year, but for beyond next year, I'm not sure they hold it. Meanwhile, people are dropping all the money they have to get to Universal, and I'll bet a lot won't have an $700 extra to spend a day at MK. My uneducated guess, Disney THOUGHT this is what was going to happen, and the last 2 years have shown them that pricing could be a real issue now, and they are in panic mode.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do think a lot are saving to hit Epic next year. But I think what you really saw is that a lot will be one and done with Universal (hence the huge jump last year at CA which then plummeted back down this year). I think they have hit a similar thing as Disney where they have outpriced their market, and by a lot. Which is why I'm not convinced even Magic Kingdom won't be hurt next year with Epic opening. I think Universal is going to be smart and make their pricing so that people end up at their other parks as well next year, but for beyond next year, I'm not sure they hold it. Meanwhile, people are dropping all the money they have to get to Universal, and I'll bet a lot won't have an $700 extra to spend a day at MK. My uneducated guess, Disney THOUGHT this is what was going to happen, and the last 2 years have shown them that pricing could be a real issue now, and they are in panic mode.
…concur…

Disstevefan1

a lot will be one and done with Universal
Some may but I think the majority will return. Many Disney fans have labeled Universal as one and done, I think EPIC will change that
Disney where they have outpriced their market, and by a lot.
Attendance keeps going down, revenue keeps going up, so I suspect they will keep doing what they are doing.
Which is why I'm not convinced even Magic Kingdom won't be hurt next year with Epic opening.
Because of the EPIC ticket plan, WDW will be able to boast in 2025, MK is the most visited park again. In time when Universal opens up the ability to visit EPIC, I think they will claim the crown.
I think Universal is going to be smart and make their pricing so that people end up at their other parks as well next year,
Agree, the ticket plan is smart. They can limit folks going into EPIC as they get gong and iron things out in EPIC while at the same time maintaining (maybe increasing) attendance in the other parks.

DisneyCane

Yes a number of folks were blinded by the light and closed minded thinking an all black cast in Black Panther movie would fail. The smart one in the room Iger thought otherwise.
The people who thought that are the ones who have the wrong perception about a large segment of the population. Very few people have an issue with an all black cast for a story that takes place in Africa (albeit a fictional country) or a movie that takes place in an inner city because it is realistic that all of the characters would be black. People have issues when characters which were created and presented as white become a different race in remakes and reimagined versions because it is seen as diversity for the sake of diversity. The overwhelming majority of people don't have any issue with black characters that were created as black characters.

LSLS

Some may but I think the majority will return. Many Disney fans have labeled Universal as one and done, I think EPIC will change that
To be clear, I don't think Universal is one and done cause it's not worth it, I think it will be because the pricing. I have not been to Universal in 2 decades, and it is 100% because of pricing. The rides were fine, but we were through everything fast. Last time we were down in Orlando, we spent two days at Disney parks because we had the tickets, and then the rest of the time at Springs/pools/etc. around the Orlando area because I wasn't paying for extra tickets. We will be down next year, and I doubt we hit Disney at all. Plan will be to hit Universal for Epic, but we won't be back every year (let alone multiple times a year) cause it's too much. We have a season pass to Cedar Point for almost $50 less than cost of going to Universal or Disney for a day. Say what you want about "It's not the same", we can stay at Kalahari or Great Wolf for the price of a Disney moderate (and get a great waterpark as opposed to a single slide), Cedar Point has lake beaches, a water park, great rides, there's awesome kayaking in wildlife reserves close by, and a ton more (heck, they may have more street stuff in the parks than Disney at this point). Universal puts in a Zelda area, we may go back then. I'm not sure Encanto gets us back to Disney, especially if the issue of lines is not resolved. I'll agree with Iger they got overly greedy on their pricing (and Universal followed right along), though funny that Iger decided to keep right on with that pricing strategy.

Attendance keeps going down, revenue keeps going up, so I suspect they will keep doing what they are doing.
Revenue means nothing if you are making less profit. Plenty of companies have gone out of business with billions in revenue (NO not saying Disney is on the cusp of going out of business right now, making a point). If you don't think there is real panic that they have made substantially less money this quarter than last in that entire segment, you are kidding yourself (and you better talk to Wall Street and let them know they shouldn't be worried).

Disstevefan1

To be clear, I don't think Universal is one and done cause it's not worth it, I think it will be because the pricing. I have not been to Universal in 2 decades, and it is 100% because of pricing.
The express pass IS EXPENSIVE. We stay in the deluxe resorts where you get FREE express pass.
I hope they do the free express pass thing for EPIC if you stay in that in park hotel.
The rides were fine, but we were through everything fast.
This is bad? This could NEVER happen in WDW because of various things
We will be down next year, and I doubt we hit Disney at all.
You and a lot of folks I think.
Plan will be to hit Universal for Epic, but we won't be back every year (let alone multiple times a year) cause it's too much.
With the costs today I do not understand how families can go to WDW or Universal every year.
We have a season pass to Cedar Point for almost $50 less than cost of going to Universal or Disney for a day.
I would love to visit Cedar Point
Revenue means nothing if you are making less profit.
Ha, tell that to Disney's movie business and their streaming business.

Disney's parks and experiences business, is making a profit, right?

Stripes

Premium Member
Important to remember universal had a HUGE jump last year though due to mario in CA opening. If universal had a 20% increase last year followed by a 10% decrease this year, and Disney had a 5% decrease last year followed by flat this year, Universal isn't worse off.

I'll note I totally made up my numbers, so don't treat as gospel. Just highlighting that comparing domestic for both year to year is a bit tricky with how last year was. Also I am DYING to see the theme park numbers to see how much of a change Orlando has been specifically.
But the thing is they didn’t have a huge jump in the prior year quarter. Specifically, Universal’s domestic attendance was flat in the prior year’s quarter due to lower attendance at UOR offset by higher attendance at USH driven by SNW. Universal’s domestic parks revenue was flat.

Disney reported the same story. Higher attendance in CA, lower attendance in Florida. Domestic parks revenue was up 4% in the prior year’s quarter.

So the comparison remains favorable to Disney, potentially even more favorable when you consider the prior year’s quarterly results.

Lilofan

The people who thought that are the ones who have the wrong perception about a large segment of the population. Very few people have an issue with an all black cast for a story that takes place in Africa (albeit a fictional country) or a movie that takes place in an inner city because it is realistic that all of the characters would be black. People have issues when characters which were created and presented as white become a different race in remakes and reimagined versions because it is seen as diversity for the sake of diversity. The overwhelming majority of people don't have any issue with black characters that were created as black characters.

Not exactly. Marvel execs that worked for Perlmutter tried to talk Iger to not green lighting Black Panther and shut down the movie project due to black characters in the movie. Iger was the smartest guy in the room and got his way. Kudos to Iger !

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Not exactly. Marvel execs that worked for Perlmutter tried to talk Iger to not green lighting Black Panther and shut down the movie project due to black characters in the movie. Iger was the smartest guy in the room and got his way. Kudos to Iger !
do those same kudo's go to Iger for greenlighting The Marvels movie? asking for a friend

DisneyCane

I don't dispute your story. The Marvel execs had a misconception about the public. I give Iger credit for knowing that they were wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom