Disney’s Q2 (Jan/Feb/Mar) FY 2021 Earnings Results Webcast on Thursday, May 13, 4:30ET.

doctornick

In case you're wondering how far baseball's popularity has fallen, the new MLB deal will be only for Sunday night games and postseason/wild card games. ESPN won't air any more weekday games.

the weekday games were non-exclusive so the ratings sucked... but that is MLB is largely a local sport. People watch their local team on their local Regional Sports Network (RSN). The Sunday night games are national and exclusive (without any other competing baseball games) so they are more appealing. What it comes down to is that MLB isn't an great sport for national broadcast, but it's generally the biggest drawing and most important sport for local broadcasts (i.e. RSN content).

That said, TBS picked up Tuesday night games in the latest deal and it's rumored that Fox might pick up the Monday or Wednesday games given up from ESPN to put on FS1/FS2.

Slpy3270

the weekday games were non-exclusive so the ratings sucked... but that is MLB is largely a local sport. People watch their local team on their local Regional Sports Network (RSN). The Sunday night games are national and exclusive (without any other competing baseball games) so they are more appealing. What it comes down to is that MLB isn't an great sport for national broadcast, but it's generally the biggest drawing and most important sport for local broadcasts (i.e. RSN content).

That said, TBS picked up Tuesday night games in the latest deal and it's rumored that Fox might pick up the Monday or Wednesday games given up from ESPN to put on FS1/FS2.
TBS and Fox need MLB far more than ESPN needs them. Fox may have to seriously cut back on sports portfolio after their insane NFL deal and Turner Sports is only expanding because AT&T suddenly felt sports would help HBO Max's mediocre numbers thus far (it wasn't a long time ago that rumors suggested AT&T was considering stripping Turner Sports for parts, starting with the AT&T regional sports networks and Bleacher Report).

jt04

Disney+ skyrockets if they can manage 36 to 40 weeks a year of Star Wars live action. Though I realize that is a tall order and risks diluting the product. I think it could be done.

Second, bring back APs to WDW. Parks revenue skyrockets too.

Fixed. 📈

robhedin

MAYBE. But based solely on what he said, you are jumping to a big conclusion.

He said a lot about Cricket too, but no one is expecting a new Cricket attraction at WDW.
When he said ... "Is very big news for us, particularly if anybody's been in Florida in the middle of the summer with a mask on. That could be quite daunting. So we think that's going to make for an even more pleasant experience..." with regards to masks, that implies that a change is coming.

M:SpilotISTC12

So now the million (billion) dollar question is... with the increased capacity and the possible reduction of masks, what will become of fastpass and APs etc? What are we going to permanently lose now that it seems like COVID is "over"? (Personally I don't think so) They can't use the excuse "Well we cut this because of COVID." This is the part that scares me giving Chapek the ammo he needs to make crazy expensive changes that will only make it more expensive because of pent up demand and the need to make up for last year.

CaptainAmerica

So now the million (billion) dollar question is... with the increased capacity and the possible reduction of masks, what will become of fastpass and APs etc? What are we going to permanently lose now that it seems like COVID is "over"? (Personally I don't think so) They can't use the excuse "Well we cut this because of COVID." This is the part that scares me giving Chapek the ammo he needs to make crazy expensive changes that will only make it more expensive because of pent up demand and the need to make up for last year.
They've been very forthcoming that APs are not coming back at Disneyland. They didn't blame that on COVID in the slightest.

Slpy3270

Can't help but shiver at the thought of Chapek deciding theatrical should be sacrificed for the sake of D+ gods long after the pandemic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom