MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1715089289035.png

1715089319560.png

1715089349967.png

1715089368180.png

doctornick

Bob: Ratings of digital and live sports is strong. Sports will stand out among all other entertainment. ESPN tile will be on D+, as a start of digitalizing ESPN and sports. And it will help the bundle. But we're not abandoning cable -- giving a choice. Lots of distribution channels.

We've locked up long time licenses. We hope to also have the same with NBA.

IP -- good slate coming up. But we're still reducing the TV pipeline.

So, how would ESPN+ integration into D+ work? I wonder if it will be what they seem to be doing with Hulu (and have done with Star) - basically a part of an overall larger service where you "have" to be subscribed to the main service to access it but it is a value add and make it a more robust service*. i.e. ESPN+ fully integrated as a "part" of D+. This is more similar to the cable/bundled model that Disney has relied on for revenue in the past decades.

Or would an ESPN+ tile just launch a separate ESPN+ service that you have to subscribe to separately. Which means the tile would either be extremely limited without having a separate ESPN+ sub or maybe not even be there at all? There's a few D+ specific programs though that are sports related and could populate an ESPN+ tile even without a proper ESPN+ subscription.

It's an interesting quandary with ESPN+ because sports fans are a somewhat separate animal than general entertainment (granted, there's obviously overlap) and you could potentially extract much higher subscription rates from a dedicated sports fans that would turn away other folks if they inflate the cost of a bundled D+ service too much. Though perhaps the joint offering with FOX and WB is meant to fill the role of the "if you just want sports, get this" concept.

*still unclear to me how they plan to run the Hulu with Live TV service but I've got to think that it will continue in some fashion given that it is profitable and operates differently from a regular streaming service. Its competition is Sling, YoutubeTV, etc

zann285

Isn't that arguable the "magic sauce" for Netflix - that their algorithm for figuring out "you might also like" is what helped make the service work so well. started with when they were a DVD rental company but carried over into streaming?

On that note, I'm surprised that D+ has not incorporated a "rate what you just watched" type feature. It's one thing to know where a customer watched a program. It's another thing entirely if they liked the program and would want to watch more of it or anything similar/related. I've certainly watched an entire series just for completeness/finding out what happens but not liked it enough to watch more beyond that. Recommendation algorithms work best when you know how much a person enjoys certain programming, not just that they decided to hit play in the first place.

The recommendation engines at Netflix, YouTube, TikTok etc are some of the key components for their success. They're what get the consumers of those platforms hooked and continually using their apps.

On the flipside, trying to get your content through another platform's recommendation engine can be problematic. Its an unknown entity that controls who is even aware your content exists. I think this is one of the real reasons so many studios have been focused on building their own streaming platforms. With Netflix controlling what they recommend to users, other studios' content may or may not be recommended even if they were to continue licensing to Netflix, potentially relegating them to obscurity if Netflix were to become the only solution people used to find movie content. Netflix would have its own interests involved with what they recommend, most of which would not be in-line with third-party studios.

A studio owning the whole stack can give them more control. They could focus on keeping consumers hooked, and also that the content consumers steer toward is meeting the studio's desires, whether that be ads, price per view, or other promotions.

Ripken10

Isn't that arguable the "magic sauce" for Netflix - that their algorithm for figuring out "you might also like" is what helped make the service work so well. started with when they were a DVD rental company but carried over into streaming?

On that note, I'm surprised that D+ has not incorporated a "rate what you just watched" type feature. It's one thing to know where a customer watched a program. It's another thing entirely if they liked the program and would want to watch more of it or anything similar/related. I've certainly watched an entire series just for completeness/finding out what happens but not liked it enough to watch more beyond that. Recommendation algorithms work best when you know how much a person enjoys certain programming, not just that they decided to hit play in the first place.
Am I the only person that watches the same movie over and over again...not because I like the movie...but because I keep falling asleep to it cause it is not that engaging, but I still at least want to see what happens (or I just need something that will put me to sleep and the melatonin is not working). There is one movie in particular I can think of that I alone have probably added a thousand hours of "viewing" but honestly did not like the move at all. I get 5 minutes in, and suddenly I open my eyes and the credits are rolling again.

doctornick

The recommendation engines at Netflix, YouTube, TikTok etc are some of the key components for their success. They're what get the consumers of those platforms hooked and continually using their apps.

On the flipside, trying to get your content through another platform's recommendation engine can be problematic. Its an unknown entity that controls who is even aware your content exists. I think this is one of the real reasons so many studios have been focused on building their own streaming platforms. With Netflix controlling what they recommend to users, other studios' content may or may not be recommended even if they were to continue licensing to Netflix, potentially relegating them to obscurity if Netflix were to become the only solution people used to find movie content. Netflix would have its own interests involved with what they recommend, most of which would not be in-line with third-party studios.

A studio owning the whole stack can give them more control. They could focus on keeping consumers hooked, and also that the content consumers steer toward is meeting the studio's desires, whether that be ads, price per view, or other promotions.

Sure, certainly argues for having control of your own content so you can promote what you want.

But to me, I think the bigger issue for Disney is engagement - they need to find ways to keep people on their app and watching other stuff than what they came there for. It's fine if Marvel or Star Wars or Disney/Pixar animation gets them there to watch something specific but they want the customers to stay and watch something different than what they signed in for that day - especially when ad revenue is in play. And that's where an effective recommendation algorithm is extremely helpful. And "effective" means that when it makes a recommendation, it is key if the customer actually does like the thing they are pointed to - if it generally makes poor recommendations, they customers will just ignore it.

Brian

Am I the only person that watches the same movie over and over again...not because I like the movie...but because I keep falling asleep to it cause it is not that engaging, but I still at least want to see what happens (or I just need something that will put me to sleep and the melatonin is not working). There is one movie in particular I can think of that I alone have probably added a thousand hours of "viewing" but honestly did not like the move at all. I get 5 minutes in, and suddenly I open my eyes and the credits are rolling again.
I thought you were referring to the earnings call. All of that is pretty applicable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hear ya…sucks being old doesn’t it? 🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom