Disney’s Q2 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Q: what's up with Charter partnership? What's up with it?

licensing content off platform... will do it? what will guide it?

A: Hugh... Charter deal is still early. We're happy with it. We got new subs. Cannabilizism isn't high. Not a template.

Bob... we're already doing some licensing with Netflix. Will continue to explore it. It can put some IP forward in customer's mind. But won't be a lot.

CaptainAmerica

Bob has mentioned "recommendation engines" twice now for streaming. So that's a thing.
When Disney+ was only ad-free, they didn't care how many people actually WATCHED content or for how long, because they got their monthly subscription fee either way.

Now that they have the ad-supported model, they need tools to increase viewership and engagement so they can serve people more ads. A good recommendation engine that shows you good "what to watch next based on your interest" is important to keep people inside the app.

lentesta

Premium Member
When Disney+ was only ad-free, they didn't care how many people actually WATCHED content or for how long, because they got their monthly subscription fee either way.

Now that they have the ad-supported model, they need tools to increase viewership and engagement so they can serve people more ads. A good recommendation engine that shows you good "what to watch next based on your interest" is important to keep people inside the app.

Recall Netflix's $1 million challenge to improve their recommendation algorithm. That was back in 2006, when $1 million was a lot of money.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Couple of slides from the earnings presentation:

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 9.18.41 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 9.17.59 AM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Bob has mentioned "recommendation engines" twice now for streaming. So that's a thing.
Indeed. Watching D+ shows sometimes start with a mini-ad for another D+ show.

It's wild they haven't been doing that previously. Just relying on a scrolling banner to advertise what's new.

They do a 'what's new' on YouTube, it's an advertising crime they don't have that available on D+.

Nevermore525

DTC Revenue:

Subscriber fees: $4.805B (Q2FY24) vs $4.225 (Q2FY23

Ad Revenue: $762M (Q2FY24) vs $702M (Q2FY23)

Other: $75M (Q2FY24) vs $52M (Q2FY23)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
I'm certain Netflix views its recommendation algorithm as an asset.

Knowing Disney's analytics capabilities, I'd say they could do really well here.
D+ is very much show specific viewing.

Maybe with the integration of Hulu there will be a more of a demand for additional exploration of the library, but evaluating D+ only the audience isn't there to want to stay engaged with anything outside of what they came into originally watch.

peng

Lol at disney considering Thunderbolts an original, Disney theatrical's future is going to be flop after flop after flop.

doctornick

Isn't that arguably the "magic sauce" for Netflix - that their algorithm for figuring out "you might also like" is what helped make the service work so well? started with when they were a DVD rental company but carried over into streaming?

On that note, I'm surprised that D+ has not incorporated a "rate what you just watched" type feature. It's one thing to know whether a customer watched a program. It's another thing entirely if they liked the program and would want to watch more of it or anything similar/related. I've certainly watched an entire series just for completeness/finding out what happens but not liked it enough to want to watch more beyond that. Recommendation algorithms work best when you know how much a person enjoys certain programming, not just that they decided to hit play in the first place.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

On that note, I'm surprised that D+ has not incorporated a "rate what you just watched" type feature. It's one thing to know where a customer watched a program. It's another thing entirely if they liked the program and would want to watch more of it or anything similar/related. I've certainly watched an entire series just for completeness/finding out what happens but not liked it enough to watch more beyond that. Recommendation algorithms work best when you know how much a person enjoys certain programming, not just that they decided to hit play in the first place.
Hulu has that.

But Hulu's "continue watching" feature is completely broken. It thinks I really like Big Bang Theory and Chicago Fire because those shows are on the live channels before sporting events that I watch, so if I tune in a few minutes early they think I'm a fan of those shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom