Disney’s Q2 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Q: tell us more about streaming and linear

A: Bob: ESPN plans remain the same (mostly moving to streaming). In 2015/2016 we saw the decline of linear, so, what we're doing is to respond in that.

We have the tech for advertisers to automatically buy time online and then push it to users granually.

TP2000

Softness with D+ subscribers are continuing through next quarter (but will rebound Q4) and they expect their losses to worsen by 100mil next quarter due to content 'spend'. The market did NOT like that.

It's trending on Twitter and in the last 45 minutes all of the big financial and media industry news outlets are carrying that as their headline. Warranted or not, it's the Big Scary Headline they are using, so an after hours stock drop is almost guaranteed.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: Barclay -- why isn't Hulu more profitable? What's its future?

What's up with parks? and cruises?

A: Bob -- not fully determined with the buy-out of Hulu from Comcast. We're liking the idea of bringing Hulu's general audience (i.e., adults) to D+ (4 quadrants!!). Still have to negotiate it out.

Chrstine -- we expect a good year. We also expect increase cost (wages, inflation, new offerings, new cruise ship). Cruise business is back strongly.

Indy_UK

Said for ages Hulu content may as well be moved into Disney+

Problem is that they can’t sell the platform with no content as it’s worthless but just shutting down and moving over the content sounds like a missed opportunity to recoup some $$$

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: Guggenheim -- DTC ads... what's up with that?

AI, what's up with that? Protecting IP?

A: Bob -- AI has opportunities and benefits. Used for efficiencies with what customers want and are doing. It could be disruptive. Legal team is already on it.

Christine: Ad tier for D+. It's still brand new. Getting new subs at that tier which has less of a ad load compared to Hulu. Ad tier coming to Europe by the end of the year.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Q: more about hulu marrying D+? Should there still be individual streams or is packaging the only way to go?

Is fiscal q3 the peak for D+ losses?

A: Bob -- The addition of Hulu with D+ is for those who already are subbed to both... for now. Outside the U.S. it's pretty much what's happening with the Star portal.

Christine -- peak losses were in 4Q 22. Now it just gets better with the exception of contractual losses in Q3 23.

BrianLo

Also: Backing down out of low income places (India)

HotStar has always been nonsense empty subscriber numbers, in an emerging market. But seeing how low the ARPU is going versus the sporting rights costs they needed to keep them, it just doesn't make sense.

The whole panic attack over the subscriber loss this quarter is primarily India driven.

It's too bad, but the market just doesn't seem to be proving viable for them yet. This puts off a park there probably for a few more decades.

The stock market is being so fickle though. Despite the loses dramatically improving from Q4 22, all it seems to care about again is subscriber numbers.

doctornick

Said for ages Hulu content may as well be moved into Disney+

Probable is that they can’t sell the platform with no content as it’s worthless but just shutting down and moving over the content sounds like a missed opportunity to recoup some $$$

Well, in theory they could sell the Live TV platform separately from the streaming content of Hulu. I agree it wouldn't be worth that much without the content and separate streaming service; however, it could be integrated into another company's streamer (i.e. Peacock with Live TV, Paramount+ with Live TV, etc) if it had value.

Indy_UK

Do people still believe there is resistance to put adult/ general entertainment into Disney+ like they have done with Star in Europe?

I remember years ago US soccer moms saying that doing so was going to damage the Disney brand and their kids 😂

The parental locks seem to work fine here in the UK, possibly too well as my sons account can’t even view content like the 90s Rescue Rangers and I am not going to deny him of that

TP2000

The stock market is being so fickle though. Despite the loses dramatically improving from Q4 22, all it seems to care about again is subscriber numbers.

Is there an analogy where the market would be happy about a company losing 4 million customers?

I can't think of one, but I'm open to suggestions. 🤔

Admittedly, my understanding of free market economics is happily stuck in the 20th century and I have NEVER understood how streaming makes any real money for any studio, so maybe there's some trendy new business strategy that says it's good to lose 4 million paying customers in one quarter?

But apparently the American free market still works the same today as it did for the previous 275 years. When you lose a bunch of paying customers, that's still considered bad by the market and your stock decreases.

doctornick

Is there an analogy where the market would be happy about a company losing 4 million customers?

Admittedly, my understanding of free market economics is happily stuck in the 20th century and I have NEVER understood how streaming makes any real money for any studio, so maybe there's some trendy new business strategy that says it's good to lose 4 million paying customers in one quarter?

But apparently the American free market still works the same today as it did for the previous 275 years. When you lose a bunch of paying customers, that's still considered bad by the market and your stock decreases.

The point is that they made more money (well, lost less, but same difference) despite fewer customers this quarter due to increased sub fees and advertising revenue. Revenue per subscriber was up a decent bit (20% in the US!) which seems more important than a relatively small drop in subscribers.

Wall Street generally cares more about revenue/profits than just the number of customers typically.

TP2000

And we students of history need to remind that a big reason cord cutting intensified was because of decades of detestation of forced bundles

No kidding! Great point.

All I know is that streaming never seems to pencil out on my dampened cocktail napkin whenever I try to make the math work. I'm just thrilled that Netflix makes it so easy, a few seconds of work with my remote control, to cancel and re-subscribe. I re-subscribe for one month to watch the latest season of The Crown and a few other fun things I may find, then cancel and wait another year to re-subscribe for the next season of The Crown.

That can't be the business model Netflix wants, but it's the business model they have.

And so does Disney+. I am sure there are families subscribing for summer vacation and Christmas, then cancelling for six months until school is out again and the summer/holiday blockbusters show up on Disney+. How on earth that makes Burbank any money instead of that same family buying 4 movie tickets two or three times per year, I'll never know!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
HotStar has always been nonsense empty subscriber numbers, in an emerging market. But seeing how low the ARPU is going versus the sporting rights costs they needed to keep them, it just doesn't make sense.

The whole panic attack over the subscriber loss this quarter is primarily India driven.

It's too bad, but the market just doesn't seem to be proving viable for them yet. This puts off a park there probably for a few more decades.

Over 5 million people in India dropped D+ because Disney didn't spend hundreds of million to secure Cricket rights.

The ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) of D+ (Hotstar) subscribers in India is 60 cents. That's right, $0.59 per subscriber.

No wonder Bob and Christine signaled that India is going to be written off.

And now Wall Street, which has declared they don't care about subs, but only profits, sees that D+ losses have significantly declined and are truly on the way to being profitable, decide to go ahead and tank DIS stock because: They're looking only at the subs.

Not enough eye rolls are available in this universe.

BrianLo

They lost 4.7 million subscribers in India whom pay a little over 50 cents a month. Obviously it's not a good thing, but they offset by gaining more international subscribers paying almost 6 dollars a month. It's the obsession Wall Street seems to have with the top line number and not the actual subscribers that pay money.

As you say, it doesn't make sense because they (Wall Street) seemingly send mixed messages that they are happier when they give away the service for free as opposed to actually making more money (which they did).

Slpy3270

I wonder what the pulled content will be. Licensed third-party titles? Short-lived shows? Originals that never did well? hope it's not a scenario where content is pulled permanently (impairment charges don't necessarily mean permanently pulled a la WBD; maybe they'll licensed pulled content to other outlets or put them out on video?).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom