Disney’s Q2 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am just about the biggest MCU fan you’ll find, and I love SW and Disney animation as well.

But…

Particularly with the frequency of MCU content slowing, the lack of diverse offerings on D+ has me convinced I’ll cancel as soon as Secret Invasion ends. I’m basically their target audience, and I think they need to significantly broaden their offerings.

Or just slap the whole Fox catalog up there, which was a key reason Disney bought that studio. That would keep me on board.
I wonder how much of the Fox corpus is on Hulu? I haven't gone down that rabbit hole... yet.

Anyway, while not fully satisfying, just a reminder to all:

• Spider-Man 1, 2, & 3
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 1 (not 2)
  • Young Jedi Adventures
  • Star Wars: Visions
  • Venom
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming

Are now on D+ starting these past two weeks.

Last edited:

dreday3

Maybe they need a series to touch on whatever made High School Musical or Descendants so popular. Reach the Disney fan base that isn't about Marvel or Star Wars.

Just whatever happens to Hulu, don't lose all the series! Some of the best tv out there.

doctornick

Or just slap the whole Fox catalog up there, which was a key reason Disney bought that studio. That would keep me on board.

I think that’s the plan at this point. It seems like they’ve come to the conclusion that it is too costly to make ongoing content for multiple services so they will consolidate D+ and Hulu in the US to have just one service that will be easier to have regular content for.

Trauma

Another thing is a lot of the content is geared towards children. Not all of it I get it , but a lot of it.

For example Lexus won’t be advertising to kids watching Encanto for the 43 time.

It seems like that may narrow the range of potential advertisers.

doctornick

I wish more people would have given Mysterious Benedict Society a chance.

It was truly excellent.
Yep. It was actually really fun and different but alas over. I’ll also put my vote in for Earth to Ned which was funny and engaging and had a good potential to cross promote but didn’t work out.

They really need a Stranger Things or Ted Lasso type of hit, but it isn’t like anybody can just automatically hit on command. All the services are hoping for that when they order new shows.

TheMaxRebo

Yep. It was actually really fun and different but alas over. I’ll also put my vote in for Earth to Ned which was funny and engaging and had a good potential to cross promote but didn’t work out.

They really need a Stranger Things or Ted Lasso type of hit, but it isn’t like anybody can just automatically hit on command. All the services are hoping for that when they order new shows.

Yeah, exactly ... Those two were good and things like the new version of Doogie Howser are good supplemental shows and maybe Muppet Mayhem will get some buzz, but they haven't gotten that other big draw yet that will get non-subscribers to sign up

So barring finding that they might be best served accepting their position but raising the price quite a bit. I would think most people that feel the Star Wars, MCU, and parks stuff is ,worth $10/month will also find it with $20/month or whatever

Stripes

Premium Member
Another thing is a lot of the content is geared towards children. Not all of it I get it , but a lot of it.

For example Lexus won’t be advertising to kids watching Encanto for the 43 time.

It seems like that may narrow the range of potential advertisers.
I think integrating Disney+ and Hulu is a good idea in order to attract a broader range of advertisers.

Trauma

I think integrating Disney+ and Hulu is a good idea in order to attract a broader range of advertisers.
I have Hulu for the live tv. I have never watched a “Hulu” exclusive if there is such a thing.

It also gives me D+ for free.

I guess if they keep raising the price I can price shop it vrs other live tv services.

Hulu has always been buggy for me much worse than Netflix. Shows won’t load all sorts of weird stuff. Even D+ works much better than Hulu.

erasure fan1

I would think most people that feel the Star Wars, MCU, and parks stuff is ,worth $10/month will also find it with $20/month or whatever
I can't say I'm most people, but $20/month? I am completely out. At $20 a month I wouldn't even bother with signing up for a month or two like I'm doing now, then canceling until more stuff I might be interested in comes out. As of now, Disney is so far off from warranting a $20/month D+ cost it's not even funny.

Jrb1979

I can't say I'm most people, but $20/month? I am completely out. At $20 a month I wouldn't even bother with signing up for a month or two like I'm doing now, then canceling until more stuff I might be interested in comes out. As of now, Disney is so far off from warranting a $20/month D+ cost it's not even funny.
I feel the same but for all the services. $15 is the max I would pay for any of them. Once they hit $20 you're getting close to paying what you paid for cable if you have multiple services.

TheMaxRebo

Guess I compare it to going to the movies - it's like $75 to take my family to see one movie, vs $20 a month for us to watch multiple things

And I find Mando or most MCU shows as good as most movies we would see

We also watch D+ more than any other streaming service so guess just has more value to us

seascape

Everyone can get the Disney Bundle with ads for 13.99 a month. But if they are smart they can get for 6.99 a month. All anyone had to do is get the Amex Blue Xash everyday card and signup for the monthly bundle. Amex will credit your account $7.00 month and there is no annual fee for the card

Jrb1979

Everyone can get the Disney Bundle with ads for 13.99 a month. But if they are smart they can get for 6.99 a month. All anyone had to do is get the Amex Blue Xash everyday card and signup for the monthly bundle. Amex will credit your account $7.00 month and there is no annual fee for the card
I don't personally see any value in paying for any service if ads are involved. The free ones I can deal with ads.

Stripes

Premium Member
I have Hulu for the live tv. I have never watched a “Hulu” exclusive if there is such a thing.

It also gives me D+ for free.

I guess if they keep raising the price I can price shop it vrs other live tv services.

Hulu has always been buggy for me much worse than Netflix. Shows won’t load all sorts of weird stuff. Even D+ works much better than Hulu.
Hulu’s interface isn’t perfect, for sure. But I have an Apple TV and Hulu, unlike Disney+ or YouTube TV, have integrated Apple’s playback controls, which is far, far superior to any of the custom controls. YouTube TV‘s controls in particular are terrible.

I think Netflix and Disney+ are probably the most stable streaming service apps.

Indy_UK

The problem they are going to have with Marvel and star Wars is fatigue and it’s very real with Marvel (for me at least)

Between the movies and TV shows there is just too much content and when I started getting behind a couple of movies and a show I gave up because I didn’t have the will to catch up.

Star Wars I am finding refreshing atm with the TV shows but with Marvel at least, they have to cut it down to maybe 2 movies and tv show releases a year because once people get on burned out, Disney+ isn’t going to have anything to fill the gaps.

I agree on cutting back on these live action Disney+ reboots as 90% of them have been bad.

I honestly don’t know why Disney+ can’t be more of a back catalogue streaming service and the Hulu\ star integration with general entertainment provide the constant stream of new TV content and then just have the odd exclusive Disney+ movie.

Peter Pan and Wendy for example. Probably cost a lot to make but was a completely pointless movie which isn’t going to bring in subscribers.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Hulu’s interface isn’t perfect, for sure. But I have an Apple TV and Hulu, unlike Disney+ or YouTube TV, have integrated Apple’s playback controls, which is far, far superior to any of the custom controls. YouTube TV‘s controls in particular are terrible.

I think Netflix and Disney+ are probably the most stable streaming service apps.
I agree Hulu’s interface needs some work. It’s a little slow and sometimes resuming a show you didn’t finish starts back at the beginning in my experience. I hope they use D+ as the main engine/interface for Hulu and Hulu Live.

CaptainAmerica

I agree Hulu’s interface needs some work. It’s a little slow and sometimes resuming a show you didn’t finish starts back at the beginning in my experience. I hope they use D+ as the main engine/interface for Hulu and Hulu Live.
What device are you using? I run Hulu (including Live) on a Roku Ultra and it runs perfectly. The only headache is that it tries to dynamically insert ads into DVR'ed shows rather than letting me fast-forward through commercials. But I found a workaround that's not too much of a hassle.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
What device are you using? I run Hulu (including Live) on a Roku Ultra and it runs perfectly. The only headache is that it tries to dynamically insert ads into DVR'ed shows rather than letting me fast-forward through commercials. But I found a workaround that's not too much of a hassle.
Mine is used on a Samsung smart tv

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom