Disney’s Q1 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Do we have any idea what the financials with Swift are ?

I can’t find anything.

Per Puck News/Variety, it appears to be more than $75 million for the streaming rights on Disney+.

"Disney is paying more than $75 million to the singer-songwriter-entrepreneur to exclusively stream “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version),” on Disney+ worldwide, according to Puck News, citing anonymous sources. Per the report, Disney outbid Netflix and Universal Pictures (which handled digital/VOD distribution for the film) for the streaming rights.

Disney has declined to comment on the streaming deal for “The Eras Tour,” which will include five songs not in previous versions of the movie. A rep for Swift did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

LSLS

Per Puck News/Variety, it appears to be more than $75 million for the streaming rights on Disney+.

"Disney is paying more than $75 million to the singer-songwriter-entrepreneur to exclusively stream “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version),” on Disney+ worldwide, according to Puck News, citing anonymous sources. Per the report, Disney outbid Netflix and Universal Pictures (which handled digital/VOD distribution for the film) for the streaming rights.

Disney has declined to comment on the streaming deal for “The Eras Tour,” which will include five songs not in previous versions of the movie. A rep for Swift did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

Honestly, that's considerably less than I expected. Don't the pay well over $100 million when they get the rights to their own company movies?

ABQ

No word on the length of the deal, is there? These products seem to jump from one streaming service to another after so much time. Is this a year deal? Infinite?

TalkingHead

No word on the length of the deal, is there? These products seem to jump from one streaming service to another after so much time. Is this a year deal? Infinite?
Given how lucrative the theatrical release was and considering how much control she has shown to exert on her product, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a limited time. But who knows, maybe Iger promised her the park can be renamed Taylor’s Kingdom for a few weeks each year.

Tha Realest

I’m not sure how the dreck Disney’s pushed out over the last two years is valued internally around $100M per film and this one only gets $75M. The Eras Tour did far better than TLM ‘23, Strange World, Wish, etc. Maybe this is time limited or has limited exclusivity before digital/home media sales kick in.

Sir_Cliff

Comcast is taking the local park route, which is fine I guess. But instead of a watered down product, DCL is how you bring the P&R experience to hungry local markets, without taking on the full risk of a limited population pool or bad seasonal weather.

DCL is how you take the market to Vancouver and Sydney (via the literal same investment). It’s a solid business and one that can support 12-15 ships, but not 12-15 in just the Caribbean like RCL.

The DCL adventure is just a start of that Asian market, but easily you could homeport a ship in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai as well. A couple ships in Europe, probably two swinging between Alaska (Van x1, Seattle x1) and Australian seasons (Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland), etc.
This is very true and I was watching it play out in Australia when I was there over December/January. A lot of people were talking about the Disney cruises and there was lots of promotion for them, so I'm not surprised that Disney has announced they're coming back next year.

The thing in Australia is that they don't really have anywhere to go, so it's mostly a case of just sailing them out to sea as mini-floating theme parks. It will be interesting to see if a market that is probably not big enough for an entire Disney resort can sustain this very pricey seasonal 'taste of Disney' experience

BrianLo

The thing in Australia is that they don't really have anywhere to go, so it's mostly a case of just sailing them out to sea as mini-floating theme parks. It will be interesting to see if a market that is probably not big enough for an entire Disney resort can sustain this very pricey seasonal 'taste of Disney' experience

It’s only two nights from Brisbane to reach New Caledonia and Vanuatu. It doesn’t support like 3/4 night Bahamas itineraries, but it’s a good 7-10 day run. That’s why RCL was looking at a private island ‘perfect day’ product in Vanuatu. RCL is already supporting two much larger quantum vessels in the market.

Then you throw in longer itineraries like New Zealand runs and it’s actually not that many passengers in a season, per ship.

Sir_Cliff

It’s only two nights from Brisbane to reach New Caledonia and Vanuatu. It doesn’t support like 3/4 night Bahamas itineraries, but it’s a good 7-10 day run. That’s why RCL was looking at a private island ‘perfect day’ product in Vanuatu. RCL is already supporting two much larger quantum vessels in the market.

Then you throw in longer itineraries like New Zealand runs and it’s actually not that many passengers in a season, per ship.
I have just looked at the 2024/5 itineraries and it does look like they are trying a Sydney-Noumea cruise, so it seems they are testing the waters to see whether there is a market for that. They still seem to focus more heavily in the "Magic at Sea" cruises that either go between the Australian capital cities or sail out and back again over a few nights, though. Of course, there is also Sydney-Auckland.

Curious to see how it develops. Cruising, in general, seems to be growing fast in Australia, but there are still not many ports in Australia that can handle the big cruise ships and it's a little tougher than, say, the Caribbean or Mediterranean as the distances across the Pacific are longer. On the topic of the thread, though, it does seem a far more effective way for Disney to bring a taste of the parks to the Australian market than, say, the plans for entertainment districts or smaller parks which I suspect would have struggled. Looking at the prices, it seems they are certainly managing to charge a premium for it.

Indy_UK

I believe Disney paid the same $75 million for Hamilton rights on Disney+ but I believe that's permanent. Maybe this 'Version' of Taylors tour with extra Songs is the same and a regular version is what's passed around other services and VoD?

Tha Realest

RNRC featuring Taylor Swift coming soon.

Kidding. Please no
She’s already been scoping out the existing ride.

1708222559892.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. May I remind you that the witness is on record as wanting the Walt Disney Company to fail so spectacularly that Bob Iger is immediately ousted from the company.

Let that, in your mind, color the witness's declarations.
You’re opinions are usually off because you think he can’t lie to you. Which doesn’t pass the sniff test for a second
People keep saying this as if he didn't already leave once.

It can happen.
…the prosecution rests
He only left cus he saw Covid coming and wanted to preserve his legacy.

That alone speaks volumes about the man.

Parading around like a lion with the heart of a coward.

He is a Wizard of Oz character.
It’s amazing how some can’t make the leap to determining the obvious to be true

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

I believe Disney paid the same $75 million for Hamilton rights on Disney+ but I believe that's permanent. Maybe this 'Version' of Taylors tour with extra Songs is the same and a regular version is what's passed around other services and VoD?
I would assume this is an exclusive deal with Disney. I can't imagine that an alternative version of The Era's Tour film will appear on any other streaming service any time soon. She has a relationship with the company that it seems she intends to keep going.

pdude81

That’s one of those funky designs

They’re somewhat notorious

Even the travel agents say the worst cruise ships ever designed.

My next is ovation of the seas out of Seattle

Icon next year…as it were

I’m a big fan of Royal/celebrity…not so much Norwegian…which is “ok”

But not that ship
Just did Quantum out of Seattle this summer. What a great ship (near identical to Ovation) and solid entertainment offerings. I prefer the night club and bar offerings (RCCL) as an adult, but for my wife and some of our friends the over-the-top customer service on Disney... plus seeing characters pop up around the corner makes all the difference in the world. They'd rather pay 50% more for DCL, although the prices on RC are getting much closer these days.

So, guess who's booked on the Fantasy now later this year?

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

I was on the NCL Prima last month and it almost made me swear off cruises ever again.

Can I ask why? We are planning on trying out the new Aqua from that class of ships. We chose because of the amount of outdoor space. We aren't huge pool people, so the idea of the boulevard really appeals to us. The food sounds very good also.

We don't cruise Disney because the ships just seem very closed off to the ocean. Royal was fine, but the food left a lot to be desired. We haven't tried their giant ships because again, we don't just want a floating resort, we want to feel like we are on the ocean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom