Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2019 Earnings Webcast

mikeximus

So, are you saying that since a minority of corporations (20%) are *probably* lying on reports, then Disney *likely* is?

It was pretty clear what I said. I said it is naive for people to think they don't do one of the three things I mentioned, it's intellectually dishonest to try and narrow my point to one thing. There's no need to try and put words in my mouth, play mental gymnastics, or indulge in semantics. I said it straight out and straight forward. It's there to read again if you need to.

I've read this thread from the beginning, and also read the last thread about the Q3 earnings from beginning to end, and it seems the different factions have picked their hills to die on.

I've shown 1 example of Disney playing some word games in order to make shareholders happy, in the face of a lot of criticism of one of it's IP's. I bet if one had the time to compare quarterly shareholder reports to the actual SEC filings, that more word games would be found.

This is a clear indication of trying to fluff up the shareholders and the media, whom would not otherwise read the SEC filing.

And lets not pretend that Disney is some wholesome example of morality, in fact a whistle blower came forward in August with an allegation that Disney has been lying about their revenue:

Disney was fined for not including all relevant information with the SEC back in 2004:

Again to reiterate my point. I think it's naive for people to believe Disney is not capable of doing things that can be viewed as questionable. Whether it's playing word games with the shareholders, manipulating data that may or may not be a part of a SEC filing, or flat out lie. It's really not a good hill to die on. As I said, they aren't lying until they are caught lying...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And lets not pretend that Disney is some wholesome example of morality, in fact a whistle blower came forward in August with an allegation that Disney has been lying about their revenue:

Another post with an implication: Disney is guilty even though no finding was made to that regard. You bring up an allegation as if it were proof of wrongdoing.

I see what you're doing. The words you use and the way you use them is very clear.

mikeximus

Another post with an implication: Disney is guilty even though no finding was made to that regard. You bring up an allegation as if it were proof of wrongdoing.

I see what you're doing. The words you use and the way you use them is very clear.

Ummm. once again you choose to ignore parts of my post that hurt your narrative. I also posted an actual article from the SEC in which they fined Disney for wrongdoing on their reports... I also pointed out how they fluff up their the shareholders. These are things that aren't "allegations". They are right there for you to see with your own eyes, and yet you have ignored them.

Your post is exactly what I am talking about when it comes to the metaphor of the hill you're willing to die on. You have to defend Disney no matter what, even if it means the possibility of being wrong and that Disney could be guilty of wrongdoing. You will ignore that possibility until it hits you in the face.

Instead it's easier for you to try and point to my motivations instead of addressing the actual information I have supplied.. You're allusion to my motivations is laughable...My motivations... My family and I have spent almost $17,000 on Disney trips in the last 4 years. We are planning another $7,000 trip for 2020. My daughter is looking into a Disney 2021 wedding.

I personally can't stand what Disney has done with the Star Wars IP. With that said, my family and I love WDW.

That doesn't mean I am going to sit here and drink the Kool-aid, that just because I love aspects of Disney, doesn't mean I believe they aren't capable of being shifty. That also doesn't mean that because I don't like what they did with the Star Wars IP, I am now anti-Disney everything and see a boogie man around every corner at Disney. Disney is a multi-billion dollar corporation, being run by human beings. They are capable of, and have been caught in wrongdoing before, and if I were a betting man, I would bet they will be caught again at some point in the future.

Iger's job is to find ways to separate me from my money to boost revenue and profits. More revenue and more profits means the shareholders are happy. It's a consensual transaction, they entertain me and my family, and I pay them. It doesn't me I am going to hide my head in the sand as if I have some skin in the game by defending them. As if Iger himself is going to come on down and pat me on the back.

peter11435

It was pretty clear what I said. I said it is naive for people to think they don't do one of the three things I mentioned, it's intellectually dishonest to try and narrow my point to one thing. There's no need to try and put words in my mouth, play mental gymnastics, or indulge in semantics. I said it straight out and straight forward. It's there to read again if you need to.

I've read this thread from the beginning, and also read the last thread about the Q3 earnings from beginning to end, and it seems the different factions have picked their hills to die on.

I've shown 1 example of Disney playing some word games in order to make shareholders happy, in the face of a lot of criticism of one of it's IP's. I bet if one had the time to compare quarterly shareholder reports to the actual SEC filings, that more word games would be found.

This is a clear indication of trying to fluff up the shareholders and the media, whom would not otherwise read the SEC filing.

Disney was fined for not including all relevant information with the SEC back in 2004:

Again to reiterate my point. I think it's naive for people to believe Disney is not capable of doing things that can be viewed as questionable. Whether it's playing word games with the shareholders, manipulating data that may or may not be a part of a SEC filing, or flat out lie. It's really not a good hill to die on. As I said, they aren't lying until they are caught lying...
Do you honestly believe that a majority of shareholders do not read the SEC filings? Sure small scale shareholders may not. But anyone with significant investment is well aware of the SEC filings.

I don’t buy that the inclusion of a single word was an attempt to mislead. Especially when it doesn’t change the meaning of the paragraph.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ummm. once again you choose to ignore parts of my post that hurt your narrative.

Of course I do when your narrative includes an allegation of misdoings leading to being $6 billion off of what was reported. You fold nonsense into what sounds reasonable to get people to buy into the nonsense.

bartholomr4

Ummm. once again you choose to ignore parts of my post that hurt your narrative. I also posted an actual article from the SEC in which they fined Disney for wrongdoing on their reports... I also pointed out how they fluff up their the shareholders. These are things that aren't "allegations". They are right there for you to see with your own eyes, and yet you have ignored them.

Your post is exactly what I am talking about when it comes to the metaphor of the hill you're willing to die on. You have to defend Disney no matter what, even if it means the possibility of being wrong and that Disney could be guilty of wrongdoing. You will ignore that possibility until it hits you in the face.

Instead it's easier for you to try and point to my motivations instead of addressing the actual information I have supplied.. You're allusion to my motivations is laughable...My motivations... My family and I have spent almost $17,000 on Disney trips in the last 4 years. We are planning another $7,000 trip for 2020. My daughter is looking into a Disney 2021 wedding.

I personally can't stand what Disney has done with the Star Wars IP. With that said, my family and I love WDW.

That doesn't mean I am going to sit here and drink the Kool-aid, that just because I love aspects of Disney, doesn't mean I believe they aren't capable of being shifty. That also doesn't mean that because I don't like what they did with the Star Wars IP, I am now anti-Disney everything and see a boogie man around every corner at Disney. Disney is a multi-billion dollar corporation, being run by human beings. They are capable of, and have been caught in wrongdoing before, and if I were a betting man, I would bet they will be caught again at some point in the future.

Iger's job is to find ways to separate me from my money to boost revenue and profits. More revenue and more profits means the shareholders are happy. It's a consensual transaction, they entertain me and my family, and I pay them. It doesn't me I am going to hide my head in the sand as if I have some skin in the game by defending them. As if Iger himself is going to come on down and pat me on the back.

You are a new member and obviously don't know @MisterPenguin. He is fair and if you have ever read his posts you will know he is objective and sees both sides of an issue (not a fan boy).

No one is "dying on a hill". Just expressing an opinion. Try some thicker skin

mikeximus

Do you honestly believe that a majority of shareholders do not read the SEC filings? Sure small scale shareholders may not. But anyone with significant investment is well aware of the SEC filings.

I don’t buy that the inclusion of a single word was an attempt to mislead. Especially when it doesn’t change the meaning of the paragraph.

I never once said it was meant to mislead. I am very specific with my wording. I said the word games are meant to fluff up the shareholders. Again, to repeat myself from my previous post, The Last Jedi took a beating in the media and online from the fans. It's clear that the inclusion of the word is meant to put any fears the shareholders may have had. It shows that the powers in charge recognized a need to fluff up the shareholders. It's adding an adjective in order to illicit a response and not to inform.

And again, if I were a betting man, I would bet that most of the big share holders are not going to read the SEC filing. First and foremost, some of the bigger shareholders are also employees of Disney. However, take Steve Jobs daughter, who owns about 60 million shares... do you think she is really sitting down reading the SEC filing, or is it more reasonable to believe someone as busy as she is, is relying on the shareholders report or the media's reporting of the report? I highly doubt she's sitting there reading that SEC filing. George Lucas has 37 million shares.. again, do you think he's sitting down reading the SEC filing? At best these people pay other people to read it for them.

mikeximus

You are a new member and obviously don't know @MisterPenguin. He is fair and if you have ever read his posts you will know he is objective and sees both sides of an issue (not a fan boy).

I have read many of his posts, as I have been a lurker for a very long time. Everyone likes to think they are fair, everyone likes to think people they like are fair.

As far as thick skin.. I'm not the one virtue signaling for someone else...

bartholomr4

I have read many of his posts, as I have been a lurker for a very long time. Everyone likes to think they are fair, everyone likes to think people they like are fair.

As far as thick skin.. I'm not the one virtue signaling for someone else...

Troll: is a person (who happens to be a new member) starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

mikeximus

Of course I do when your narrative includes an allegation of misdoings leading to being $6 billion off of what was reported. You fold nonsense into what sounds reasonable to get people to buy into the nonsense.

So now pointing to an actual allegation filed with the SEC that is being investigated by the SEC, is now nonsense? So that makes it convenient to ignore the actual wrong doing they were fined for. And if Disney is found to have misreported their revenues and is fined for it, what than? Will you just ignore that as well because you don't like other stuff I have said? That doesn't sound like objectivity to me...

mikeximus

Troll: is a person (who happens to be a new member) starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

So now I am a troll because you don't like what I said. I gave an opinion, that is all, nothing more, nothing less. I did not force @MisterPenguin 's hand to respond. Especially not in the manner in which they did and have continued too.

Edit: and just to add, my initial post was very much in line with a good chunk of the conversation that was being thrown back and forth, that being whether Disney does or doesn't play games with their reporting of revenues and such (ie the idea that Disney plays games with their room bookings)... It's not like I just popped in here and screamed Disney sucks and ran away...

Lilofan

10M subscribers to Disney+ already, a goal originally targeted by analysts for around the EOY/Q1 2020. Disney has shattered all expectations of what was already a hotly anticipated service. The Bob Iger haters are about to implode and Kevin Mayer is probably polishing the CEO chair for himself.
Seems that way but if the Board doesn't buy in, then Mayer would be out of the running. That's the way Staggs and Rasulo left the company.

eliza61nyc

10M subscribers to Disney+ already, a goal originally targeted by analysts for around the EOY/Q1 2020. Disney has shattered all expectations of what was already a hotly anticipated service. The Bob Iger haters are about to implode and Kevin Mayer is probably polishing the CEO chair for himself.
Lol, sums it up nicely along will all the folks predicting the demise of the stock, which I believe rose over 5% yesterday.

NOW, I'm selling, my next 2-3 trips paid for.

Last edited:

LSLS

Who said this was going to fail? Even the largest Disney/Iger haters said this should do well from what I remember.

No Name

Except when someone correctly points out that The Last Jedi had mixed reception and implications for the franchise, said objectivity ends and you’re accused of having some ulterior motives. That seems to be a sore point.

LSLS

I didn’t say anything about failure. I said “shattered all expectations”

You said the haters would implode. I'm not sure why, they didn't question if this would be successful unless I completely missed it. They have attacked his park strategy, and his run with Star Wars, but I don't remember any saying this wouldn't be a success and a big one for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom