Disney’s Animal Kingdom Was a Mistake

lebeau

Original Poster
At the end of the day, Disney wanted a fourth park because it makes people stay longer.

They could imitate California and pack all of WDWs attractions into two parks. The number of attractions across WDWs 4 parks are comparable to DLRs 2.

Indiana Jones Adventure in the MK won't make people add a fourth day to their visit, but Dinosaur in AK will.
That was their intent. But my understanding is that DAK largely cannibalized the other parks when it opened because Disney didn't add to them as planned.

Today, yes, the fourth gate likely causes people to stay longer.

The Mom

Premium Member
Not really. I get a lot more traffic for my coverage of movies and entertainers.

Sorry if I missed a similar thread. Consider me chastened.
11. The WDWMAGIC forum is not for self-promotion or advertising. Any such posts made without permission will be deleted.

Did you obtain permission? If you did not, your posts may be deleted.

This includes links, etc in your signature.

lebeau

Original Poster
11. The WDWMAGIC forum is not for self-promotion or advertising. Any such posts made without permission will be deleted.

Did you obtain permission? If you did not, your posts may be deleted.

This includes links, etc in your signature.
I have not asked for permission, but I've been a member since 2005. I have had links in my signature that entire time. I apologize if I have broken any rules but we're going on two decades. If I need to make any changes, let me know and I'll make them. Feel free to delete whatever needs to be deleted. I won't post links going forward.

Edit: Deleted the signature

Last edited:

aliceismad

At the end of the day, Disney wanted a fourth park because it makes people stay longer.

They could imitate California and pack all of WDWs attractions into two parks. The number of attractions across WDWs 4 parks are comparable to DLRs 2.

Indiana Jones Adventure in the MK won't make people add a fourth day to their visit, but Dinosaur in AK will.
What's interesting to me is that Universal seems to be doing both in investing in the existing parks while planning and constructing their third gate.

lebeau

Original Poster
What's interesting to me is that Universal seems to be doing both in investing in the existing parks while planning and constructing their third gate.

They are. They learned from watching MGM and Animal Kingdom cannibalize existing Disney parks and had their own hard lesson when IOA drew guests away from the studio park.

It's a delicate balance juggling attractions across multiple gates.

Wendy Pleakley

Disney is adding a lot at the moment in all fairness, but they ultimately don't have to work as hard as Universal does to attract guests.

We see it in these forums all the time. People griping about this and that when it comes to Disney, while simultaneously planning their next trip. Disney fans are loyal, to a fault much of the time.

Club Cooloholic

Disney is adding a lot at the moment in all fairness, but they ultimately don't have to work as hard as Universal does to attract guests.

We see it in these forums all the time. People griping about this and that when it comes to Disney, while simultaneously planning their next trip. Disney fans are loyal, to a fault much of the time.
I will be curious though if the numbers will bear out in the long run. Right now EVERY tourist destination is getting booked due to covid. Just check hotel prices in Vegas going up and up. Disney used to work the synergy of staying on site and the parks, I feel with the Magical Express gone and many other perks in suspension, there is a disconnect between what's happening at the Parks and Resorts. I hope they fix it.

aliceismad

At the moment, yes. I agree that they are adding a lot. But were they when AK was built?

I'm pretty optimistic about all the things Disney is doing - I'm sure some would say I'm too forgiving of Disney's new lows standards. (I mean, I was defending TSL in another post. :)) Although I wish they would address some of their infill issues and maintenance issues, I agree that time has shown that they really don't have to work as hard to attract guests.

Universal is using that new park, and new additions, to get people to stay onsite and spend their vacation there, rather than Universal being a 1 or 2-day diversion from a Disney trip.

Disney Analyst

This is an interesting discussion re: Zoo's and Animal Kingdom.

My partner, who grew up in South Africa absolutely abhors Zoo's. So I understand that perspective, and will say he has definitely helped shape my views on it. Although, after watching the Animal Kinddom Disney + series, I do think he finds AK to be acceptable mostly.

I think there are Zoo's that are horrid, and should be shut down. And then I believe there are facilities and institutions that do great work, have great environments, and are the right direction for what a Zoo should be, and I think Animal Kingdom fits into that. I would make some changes, I think the night facilities are too small.

But I LOVE Animal Kingdom, and I will preface that with I only visited for the first time in 2013 and again in 2014, but at that time I found the park to be worthy of a full day. The theming, environment, atmosphere, and experiences were all fantastic. It is definitely what I consider my favourite park at Disney World.

rk03221

I disagree, AK is one of the best Disney parks globally imo. However....I would argue Hollywood studios was a mistake up until SWGE. Even as a kid, there was nothing there that I really enjoyed or cared about other than fantasmic. The art studio was cool, but that could be put in Epcot or something.

rk03221

I think there are Zoo's that are horrid, and should be shut down. And then I believe there are facilities and institutions that do great work, have great environments, and are the right direction for what a Zoo should be, and I think Animal Kingdom fits into that. I would make some changes, I think the night facilities are too small
Basically the roadside “zoos” like in Tiger king are awful and horrid. Then you have other legitimate zoos that do research, preservation and such.

I was a CM and did a backstage tour of Kilimanjaro safari. Unfortunately they keep the animals in very tight confined spaces backstage, it’s quite sad. They don’t abuse or mistreat them or anything but they don’t have a lot of space

mergatroid

Universal has also been criticised for adding too many similar screen based rides by some, along with not replacing stuff in IOA such as the shows. Some on here criticise Disney whilst praising Universal and vice versa. Both parks are great and both have made mistakes in my humble opinion. But the idea that Disney isn't doing anything whilst Universal is, seems absurd to me?

Disney isn't building a 5th gate whilst Universal is adding a 3rd, I know. But I'd hardly criticise Disney for that as a 5th probably isn't needed.

FutureCEO

Disney Youtubers who thinks the sun shines out of Disney's backside are the worst.

Dreaming of Disney World

I think it was a mistake to open with just 2 rides, but now with the addition of many more rides I think it's a wonderful park. Expedition Everest is one of my favorite roller coasters anywhere. My husband, an animal lover, loves the safari. My kids always find plenty to do.

rk03221

Keeping wild animals in "very tight and confined spaces" is the pure definition of abuse and mistreating them. Displaying wild animals for our entertainment is abuse and Disney should be ashamed of themselves. If they had an ounce of integrity, they would remove the live animals.
Not going to argue with that.

aliceismad

Universal has also been criticised for adding too many similar screen based rides by some, along with not replacing stuff in IOA such as the shows. Some on here criticise Disney whilst praising Universal and vice versa. Both parks are great and both have made mistakes in my humble opinion. But the idea that Disney isn't doing anything whilst Universal is, seems absurd to me?

Disney isn't building a 5th gate whilst Universal is adding a 3rd, I know. But I'd hardly criticise Disney for that as a 5th probably isn't needed.
I was in no way criticizing Disney for not building a 5th gate or saying that Disney should be investing more at this moment.

The point of the original poster was that he felt Disney should've been investing in the first three parks rather than building Animal Kingdom. I merely pointed out that Universal is currently building a third gate AND investing in existing parks (Velocicoaster, for example).

mergatroid

I was in no way criticizing Disney for not building a 5th gate or saying that Disney should be investing more at this moment.

The point of the original poster was that he felt Disney should've been investing in the first three parks rather than building Animal Kingdom. I merely pointed out that Universal is currently building a third gate AND investing in existing parks (Velocicoaster, for example).
Sorry, wasn't having a go at you.

What you say is fair enough but Disney's Animal Kingdom opened in 1998. So if the op was saying Disney don't invest whilst building a new gate then we'd have to go back to 1998 to compare.

If we look around that time we find that Disney also opened Test Track and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster in 1999 along with Buzz Lightyear and Winnie the Pooh in 1998 and 1999. We can argue the last two weren't as expensive if we like, but Test Track and RNR weren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. So in comparison Disney were investing and building back then if we're looking like for like.

I probably should have quoted the op so apologies for that. I'm not in any way angry with you, just trying to clarify that some things can be said by anyone and yet they're not always correct but sometimes get taken as being the truth. Whether Disney invested enough compared to what they made is subjective I suppose, however I'm just clarifying that the Animal Kingdom didn't completely stop investment elsewhere in the parks like the op is suggesting and you seem to be backing up.

As for investing right now. GE was recently added and we've got Tron, GOTG, Harmonious and Ratatouille waiting to open. I know there's been cuts but again the idea that Disney wasn't investing pre pandemic wasn't the case. People can argue that they don't like the above attractions or the money could have gone elsewhere, but money was invested.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom