News Dismal Q3 Earnings

MickeyMinnieMom

Disney blames attendance decline at domestic parks on:
(1) Substantially lower attendance at DLR of annual passholders.
(2) Survey data suggests WDW guests are holding off until SWGE opens.

Disney is "pleased" with guest feedback to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run.

Attendance was up at Disneyland, excluding annual passholders. Disney says that concern about overcrowding, increases in local hotel prices, and opening one attraction instead of two, impacted attendance as well.

I love Laughing Place’s live blog too, to summarize stuff like this... I had pulled these out and posted in the DHS SWGE thread... Iger somewhat addresses different expectations for DHS vs DL...

059D8222-60FD-4245-95A6-95EDF7F5FBAC.jpeg

46859BA4-B4AA-4A62-A4DF-5B0A5BD0C195.jpeg

Animaniac93-98

I love Laughing Place’s live blog too, to summarize stuff like this... I had pulled these out and posted in the DHS SWGE thread... Iger somewhat addresses different expectations for DHS vs DL...

View attachment 396281
View attachment 396280

Stripes

The price is equivalent to Disney+ and Hulu (with ads) standalone. So, you would basically get ESPN+ for free if you would have purchased both Disney+ and Hulu.
As I have little interest in ESPN+, I would much prefer a double bundle with just Disney+ and Hulu, and maybe save a buck or two. I’m not complaining though. Even standalone, the prices are very good.

ToTBellHop

So not as doom and gloom as some made it out to be. Disneyland have paid attendance up is actually great news. And the domestic reservations trending up 4% for next quarter is great.
Sorry, what happened at Universal Orlando after they opened Hogsmeade in June 2010?

I’m sure Disney is happy with bookings up 4%...

Perhaps DAK post-Pandora (May 2017) is more fair:

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Sorry, what happened at Universal Orlando after they opened Hogsmeade in June 2010?

View attachment 396345

View attachment 396352
This is statistical fallicy. You can't equate hotel bookings with park attendance unless you provided how both Hogsmade and Pandora increased hotel bookongs for Universal Orlando and WDW. respectively.

Even comparing park attendance is tough to compare for DL because of the blackouts this summer. Best measure will be park attendance in 2020.

ToTBellHop

This is statistical fallicy. You can't equate hotel bookings with park attendance unless you provided how both Hogsmade and Pandora increased hotel bookongs for Universal Orlando and WDW. respectively.

Even comparing park attendance is tough to compare for DL because of the blackouts this summer. Best measure will be park attendance in 2020.
How many hotels has UOR opened? 2400 rooms before, 9000 by March.

I think they’ve seen wonderful return on their investments, of which Harry Potter has been the most significant.

Y’all keep on trying to convince yourselves the company is pleased with the SWGE response. I’m sure Bob Iger would never spin data or lie outright about his feelings to protect stock values.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Attendance was up at Disneyland, excluding annual passholders. Disney says that concern about overcrowding, increases in local hotel prices, and opening one attraction instead of two, impacted attendance as well.

Which, in real talk, means Disneyland attendance was net negative. Disneyland attendance only beat 2018 numbers on one Saturday in the month of June. Add to that attendance was down more than 50% on average for weekdays in June. That is a huge reversal in attendance expectations.

So not as doom and gloom as some made it out to be. Disneyland have paid attendance up is actually great news. And the domestic reservations trending up 4% for next quarter is great.

Disneyland paid attendance was up marginally; Iger just knows not to be terribly specific when specificity reveals a poorer reality. If paid attendance is up marginally (as in less than 6%), and annual pass attendance craters, you've got a problem at DLR. A 1.5 billion dollar investment is supposed to drive attendance through the roof, not create a double digit percentage loss in overall attendance. They can blame hotel prices, resort prices, crowd expectations, etc... but when Star Wars merchandise is continuing to decline and offsetting Toy Story merchandise profits, they know the IP is damaged.

Disney Analyst

View attachment 396345

View attachment 396352

I mean... USO also had significant room to grow... due to their pretty lacklustre numbers prior.

I don’t know how much higher attendance can get at Disneyland in a year without everything sucking...

ToTBellHop

I mean... USO also had significant room to grow... due to their pretty lacklustre numbers prior.

I don’t know how much higher attendance can get at Disneyland in a year without everything sucking...
DAK went up 30% to have 2nd highest attendance in Florida. The Disneyland RESORT can hold more bodies. Hell. It can hold a third park. And more resorts.

Even MK keeps going up.

SteamboatJoe

Home Alone, Diary of the Wimpy Kid, Cheaper by the Dozen, and Night at the Museum, are expected to be reimagined for Disney+

You have to wonder what some of these executives are thinking. Was anyone sitting at home saying, gee, I really wish they'd re-boot Cheaper by the Dozen or ruin a classic Christmas movie like Home Alone. I know recycling creative ideas is as old as Hollywood itself but at least in the past they changed some things up so it wasn't so obvious (see Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven).

SteamboatJoe

Domestic attendance was down but per guest spending was up. This is exactly what they want. Lower crowds to reduce headaches and operating costs while still raking in the revenue.

loboftbl

My only question would be, did they raise prices twice this year?(I honestly don't remember but thought they did) If they did raise them twice, was it because they saw the numbers coming in and were going to miss even worse without a price bump?

WDW Pro

DAK went up 30% to have 2nd highest attendance in Florida. The Disneyland RESORT can hold more bodies. Hell. It can hold a third park. And more resorts.

Even MK keeps going up.

And Tron is designed to create more capacity (along with future changes at MK that have yet to be announced and will not be announced at D23). When Pandora was opened at DAK, it did so for a purpose and that purpose was achieved. When Everest was opened, it was opened for a purpose and it achieved it. Toy Story Land, same thing. The ONLY multi-million dollar investment in the past decade to fail in its attendance goals has been Star Wars.

And by the way, for a laugh, enjoy my thread from a week ago where I leaked much of what you're finding out today... and enjoy the people mocking me about the stock just continuing to soar.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-galaxys-edge-first-impact-on-stock.956906/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom