discovery island

disneyworlddad

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually filled in part of Bay lake to connect to discovery island. You connect to the old River Country area and all of a sudden you have big area for expansion of Fort Wilderness. From what I have read a lot they could use some additional campsites as it is harder and harder to get a reservation there now. Especially around the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring break Holidays.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually filled in part of Bay lake to connect to discovery island. You connect to the old River Country area and all of a sudden you have big area for expansion of Fort Wilderness. From what I have read a lot they could use some additional campsites as it is harder and harder to get a reservation there now. Especially around the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring break Holidays.
It would not surprise me one bit if it is never open to guests again.

I think the novelty of an island dove under the cost to run an attraction on an island a long time ago.

disneyworlddad

It would not surprise me one bit if it is never open to guests again.

I think the novelty of an island dove under the cost to run an attraction on an island a long time ago.

That is why you fill in Bay Lake between Discovery Island and the old River Country. Then it isn't an island anymore and because more accessible.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is why you fill in Bay Lake between Discovery Island and the old River Country. Then it isn't an island anymore and because more accessible.
And you loose the novelty of it being an island.

This would be an acceptable alternative if Disney was hard up for space, but they are not. They have a myriad of 11 acre plot choices that would not require building 400'-500' of land over water.

disneyworlddad

And you loose the novelty of it being an island.

This would be an acceptable alternative if Disney was hard up for space, but they are not. They have a myriad of 11 acre plot choices that would not require building 400'-500' of land over water.

Good Point, but from what I can tell of fort wilderness they dont really have any lake front campsites. If they do what I"m suggestion they expand campsites and get to charge a premium for the privileged of being on the lake. Yuu might also be able to see MK fireworks from there. I think the new tower might be in the way though.

Pixieish

Good Point, but from what I can tell of fort wilderness they dont really have any lake front campsites. If they do what I"m suggestion they expand campsites and get to charge a premium for the privileged of being on the lake. Yuu might also be able to see MK fireworks from there. I think the new tower might be in the way though.
One little problem with that. See the thread about Disney removing more alligators from property.

Phonedave

Exactly. Amazing how a mere 400' of water can complicate things.

Chappaquiddick Island (yeah, where Ted Kennedy had that accident with Mary Jo) is much bigger than Discovery Island and is only 500 or so feet from the island of Martha's Vineyard. If there is an emergency out there, the EMS or police cut the line for the 3 car ferry that runs back and forth. If it's at night, they call up the owner of the ferry at his house and he shuttles them across. It's amazing what that little bit of seperation makes.

Not to mention Martha's Vineyard itself if 6 miles from the mainland. Gettin gutilities out there is no picnic either.

-dave

Phonedave

As a general rule of thumb, you do not tear down unused or even abandoned commercial construction until you a ready to build again or are ordered to by the government.

Not only does it cost money to demolish what is there, it can potentially change the legal classification of any new construction from a remodel to new construction. Depending on the county or state, all you might need to salvage is the corner of a building and a new project can save 6 figures in impact and legal fees by being legally classified as a remodel.

Many houses in NJ are all new, except for a 8' wall from the old house that is incorporated into the design.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Many houses in NJ are all new, except for a 8' wall from the old house that is incorporated into the design.
I see things like that all the time...new gas stations where they kept a single corner of an old building, full on strip malls that incorporate a single wall of an existing structure, etc, etc.

John park hopper

I am not an engineer ---how hard would it be to but a prefab under water tunnel with some sort of people mover from the mainland to the island or since they are doing a gondola system run one the 500' to the island or a causeway across, put in more Wilderness cabins or tent camp sites, theme it Treasure Island. Come on Disney you are far more creative then I am

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am not an engineer ---how hard would it be to but a prefab under water tunnel with some sort of people mover from the mainland to the island or since they are doing a gondola system run one the 500' to the island or a causeway across, put in more Wilderness cabins or tent camp sites, theme it Treasure Island. Come on Disney you are far more creative then I am
All doable, but you are still left with the why. Why spend so much to get to and develop an 11 acre island when there is so much land that presents none of those challenges or expenses?

disneyworlddad

All doable, but you are still left with the why. Why spend so much to get to and develop an 11 acre island when there is so much land that presents none of those challenges or expenses?

I think you are probably correct, I never really looked at how much open area is between the campsites/wilderness lodge/entrance to Fort Wilderness that they could develop. Also since they have had a the gator problems as of late, lakeside campsites might not be the best idea.

John park hopper

Yea I guess you are right, I may be am looking at it from nostalgia perspective thinking they did it once they could or would do it again

nickys

Premium Member

Just make it an underwater gator viewing tunnel from either FW or Contemporary, surfacing at the island and incorporating some kind of visitor facility on the island, gator-proofed of course.

Or just re-imagine 20K Leagues under the sea.

But actually I really love the tranquility of Bay Lake, so quite glad they won't go for this!

nickys

Premium Member
Can someone post a link please? I assume that, for once, this isn't one of Martin's (mainly 'cos I don't think he's 19 Cheryl ;) ).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom