Discovery Island

bamboo7

Originally posted by Jekyll
Agreed. Disney has a contingency plan for everything.

right, and aside from that, there are a lot of other things in disney and around the world that are only accessable by one means of transportation. the statue of liberty, for example, is only accessable by boat, and even before we had this huge terrorism threat, there was a much larger chance of something horrable going wrong there, than at discovery island.

ToTBellHop

I was thinking more along the lines of someone drops a cigarrette and starts a fire. If you put a popular attraction here, disney would end up in a Titanic-style situation...

Jekyll

I have to disagree...Disney like is said has a plan for everything. They wouldn't turn the island into anything unless there was a way to escape in case of a emergency.

-J

Originally posted by DogsRule!
I was thinking more along the lines of someone drops a cigarrette and starts a fire. If you put a popular attraction here, disney would end up in a Titanic-style situation...

The theory I heard about the island was that they were going to put a few VERY exclusive honeymoon villas there. Read very expensive, very private, very luxurious.

I don't think this would be a danger at all. The waters around the island are fairly shallow to a point -- while I'd be slightly concerned about alligators and such, if that big a fire erupted on the island and Disney couldn't evacuate me off the island quick enough, I'd just walk out into the water a ways. But being that these villas would be fairly exclusive, I'm sure they'd have a set off boats that would hold everyone to get them quickly and safely where they needed to be. I think you'd be in more danger of a fire if you were staying in the Contemporary towers upper floors than on the island. I'm also sure reservations for the island villas would come with the caveat that due to inclement weather (hurricanes, etc.), Disney may be forced to move your accomodations to one of their resorts.

bamboo7

Originally posted by Married@WDW
-- while I'd be slightly concerned about alligators and such,

alligators? i don't think there are any alligator in there. after all, there is a beach at fort wilderness where guess can swim in the lake.

FanofDinsey1981

Original Poster
well, not that the treehouses are no longer used, do you think they will trasfer the idea over to the island?

also, could they build a small utility road to it? or is that not possible?

TURKEY

Originally posted by FanofDinsey1981
well, not that the treehouses are no longer used, do you think they will trasfer the idea over to the island?

also, could they build a small utility road to it? or is that not possible?

A road wouldn't be worth it. I guess it's possible, but it's not feasable.

bearboysnc

Here's what discovery Island is used for now
Name: Pirate Cruise
Description: Offers children ages 3-10 a pirate adventure, complete with bandanas, following clues and searching Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon for buried treasure. Two cast members, including a lifeguard, accompany the group. $24.95 per child, includes PB&J lunch with Gummy Bears, Rice Krispy treats and fruit punch box. Children must be potty trained, no pull-ups. Must cancel 24 hours in advance or pay full price.
Hours: Monday and Thursday 10 a.m. till noon

There most definitely are alligators, though I think they are pretty small. When we went to Disney for Rock 'n Rockets, we were cutting across the lawn from big main parking lot over to Poly and the guard saw us and wigged out -- the 'gators all moved to the little river area right there to get away from all the noise. Once they pointed them out, I was pretty creeped out. But like I said, they're pretty small.

thumper

When we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last month, we took the launch from our dock to Fort Wilderness for the Hoop De Doo. We passed Discovery Island on the boat's left side and it looked very overgrown. The beach area did not look combed/raked or maintained. So I'm wondering how often Disney officials go on the island.

We were going to rent the WaterMouses boats and cruise around, but never had the opportunity to.:(

Hurricane

When I stayed at WL 2nd week in May of this year, we passed DI many times on the launch from WL to FW to Contemp, and it was not only overgorwn, but there was litterally hundreds of vultures (turkey buzzards for those of you in the know) Not sure why they were there as they are scavengers, but they were covering the building that is visible from the launch meaning there is a large contingent of dead animals to scavenge from, doesn't look good from a PR standpoint, but it sets the scene for disney villians' hideout

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom