Discovery Island - Worth it?

MKeeler

Beyond that, can you be accused of trespassing if you're already legally on someone's property, but access another part of that property that the owner doesn't want you on? In other words, can I welcome you into my home but say my attic is off-limits, then ask the authorities to charge you with trespassing if you go into my attic? That seems to be Disney's position if they were to charge someone with trespassing for going to RC or DI after that person was already legally on their property.

Forgive me as I'm a little rusty in property law as it's not my main area of practice, but the short answer is yes. You can think of trespassing and property law as having three levels of access: No access (trespasser), limited/controlled access (invitee), and full/complete access. When you go into any business like WDW you're in the limited/controlled access category. The owner of the property (WDW) is allowed to designate the places you are allowed to go. If you go into any area designated off-limits (backstage, River Country, Discovery Island, etc.), you are trespassing. So in your example, the person (your invitee) who goes to the attic would be trespassing. Whether prosecution is worth it is a different story.

Wilt Dasney

Forgive me as I'm a little rusty in property law as it's not my main area of practice, but the short answer is yes. You can think of trespassing and property law as having three levels of access: No access (trespasser), limited/controlled access (invitee), and full/complete access. When you go into any business like WDW you're in the limited/controlled access category. The owner of the property (WDW) is allowed to designate the places you are allowed to go. If you go into any area designated off-limits (backstage, River Country, Discovery Island, etc.), you are trespassing. So in your example, the person (your invitee) who goes to the attic would be trespassing. Whether prosecution is worth it is a different story.
Thanks! I'm glad someone weighed in on that, because I was genuinely curious.

Bigart

A very cool interactive Discovery Island map...you can pan around the island. The tree netting and buildings are clearly visible.
The dock is missing from some of the views..obviously post removal

You can also scroll to the River Country area and clearly see the remains and the wood security wall that is now blown over and has been replaced
by a chain link...

the detail of the magic kingdom is awesome as well

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...COT%20%28theme%20park%29%2c%20United%20States___#

What I don't understand is isn't Discovery Island in its present condition considered an "attractive nuisance" that would be a liability to the company? It seems it might be less expensive to remove all the buildings and infrastructure and let it be a natural wooded island than it would to have all the security to try to keep people away. People might not want to go there if there is "nothing there".

I would think this might apply to River Country, Pop Century, and other abandoned areas. With all the money guests pay couldn't Disney afford demolition and removal?

janoimagine

What I don't understand is isn't Discovery Island in its present condition considered an "attractive nuisance" that would be a liability to the company? It seems it might be less expensive to remove all the buildings and infrastructure and let it be a natural wooded island than it would to have all the security to try to keep people away. People might not want to go there if there is "nothing there".

I would think this might apply to River Country, Pop Century, and other abandoned areas. With all the money guests pay couldn't Disney afford demolition and removal?

River Country yes, because it is pretty visible from the shore and resort, but in the case of Discovery Island, you can't really see much of anything from the shoreline at all, most of it was on the island interior with the exception of the dock (which is still their) and the half sunken pirate ship (which has since been removed). It just looks like an island in the middle of the lake. :shrug:

Bigart

I suppose the general feeling among the suits is there is no reason to remove any of the island infrastructure. You really cant see much from shore, and it really isn't causing any problem. Just abandon in place.

ABigBrassBand

I've tried to make plans to get on, but always chickened out whenever I actually got to the resort to go and finally do it, mainly because of my fear of the gators in the waters. I WILL go there someday though, just have to determine exactly when. I totally would swim to the island if there weren't gators, the other risks I would count as worth it and take the necessary precautions.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Ithink this has to be the most interesting thread I've ever read. So many different opinions! Thought I would weigh in. I think Mr Perez should br commended! It's a totally fascinating facility that most of us would only dream of exploring! I've personally thought of going and visiting River Country or the Swamp Boardwalk just for the super awesome pictures. But... As an OP, I would rather keep my job. :/ anybody been to river country or the boardwalk lately? :)

Next Big Thing

Ithink this has to be the most interesting thread I've ever read. So many different opinions! Thought I would weigh in. I think Mr Perez should br commended! It's a totally fascinating facility that most of us would only dream of exploring! I've personally thought of going and visiting River Country or the Swamp Boardwalk just for the super awesome pictures. But... As an OP, I would rather keep my job. :/ anybody been to river country or the boardwalk lately? :)
If by boardwalk, you mean the Wilderness Swamp Trail, which lead out to a little boardwalk, than, while I haven't been there, I know its current condition. Someone over on the Disboards tried to go there and once you got to a certain point the trail was completely overgrown and there was a ton of mosquito's. The guy did fight his way through, but the "boardwalk" was gone. He said there was a rumor that one of the big storms took it out a few years ago so i guess it was true. He took some pictures and it is pretty much just swamp back there.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
If by boardwalk, you mean the Wilderness Swamp Trail, which lead out to a little boardwalk, than, while I haven't been there, I know its current condition. Someone over on the Disboards tried to go there and once you got to a certain point the trail was completely overgrown and there was a ton of mosquito's. The guy did fight his way through, but the "boardwalk" was gone. He said there was a rumor that one of the big storms took it out a few years ago so i guess it was true. He took some pictures and it is pretty much just swamp back there.

Hey thanks! All this adventuring makes me wanna go on an adventure of my own! Maybe not out to DI but maybe River Country? Hmmm how mystical Disney has become. Even more so. Haha

fabroman

Trespassing??

Quite frankly, it's not really trespassing.

Your already on disney property, so just going to the island would just be like walking backstage.

All they can do is tell you to leave the area.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Your already on disney property, so just going to the island would just be like walking backstage.

Since it is Disney property, as you said, they can actually do more than just having you leave the area........

smm914

Sweet blog and pictures. Kinda spooky and "Jurassic Park" feeling

My thoughts exactly! I love how the discussion of this island involves words like "incredibly dangerous" and "overgrown." The very idea of it really captures my imagination. I love driving a boat near it to catch a glympse and have that epic moment you see in movies, right before the hero begins his adventure in the great unknown.

ddbowdoin

clearly a pretty balsy thing to attempt, I don't think I could personally do it... just swimming in dark water is enough to give me jitters. there's a whole movement out there called "urban exploring" where they do these types of things... personally, I see nothing wrong with it. As long as you're there respecting the site, you steal nothing, nor do you intentionally destroy anything then I see no harm... besides the risk of personal injury.

Kamikaze

Uh, going backstage without permission is trespass as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom